1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iTunes hints and tips

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by HMHB, Jun 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,325
    Post any hints and tips on iTunes usage here so we can build up a useful help thread please. Please feel free to copy and paste any of your own previous posts into this thread.

2. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice idea for threads, JohnG. Here's my tip for editing tracks in iTunes.

If you have a track that's got lots of blank space (hidden tracks on CDs, say), or just want to create one track from a small section of a longer one (say you want a short section of a track for a mobile ring tone), you can edit tracks using iTunes.

First, work out the times of the section you want, by noting the start and stop times in iTunes' top display. Then, in the Options tab of the Get Info dialog box for the track (highlight the track in the library, then choose Get Info from the File menu), set the required start and stop times. Close the dialog box. Now, with the track still highlighted in the Library, choose Convert Selection to... from the Advanced menu.

iTunes creates the section you've specified as a new track, in whatever format is set in the Importing tab of the Preferences. You end up with the original (in whatever format it already is) and the edited track in its own format (thus you can change formats and quality in the process, or not, as you wish). So, in the case of wanting a ring tone, you can set the quality much lower, thus keeping the file size down for your mobile by changing the Importing preference before doing the conversion.

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,325
    If you have poor sound quality in iTunes there is a setting in the QuickTime configuration.
    Go into Control Panel and then load the QuickTime configuration and select Sound Out from the drop-down menu. Try changing these settings to see if it makes a difference. I think most people find that WaveOut is the best, but use whichever sounds the best on your computer.

4. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have a computer (or network) with 802.11 wireless capability, create a cheap but powerful remote jukebox with iTunes, with an AirPort Express wireless base station:

http://www.apple.com/uk/airportexpress/

Plug the Express in to a power socket near a hi-fi and connect (wire or optical) to the hi-fi's audio input, then use iTunes to transmit to the Express using its inbuilt AirTunes feature from anywhere in the transmission zone.

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,325
    Smart Playlists are an excellent way to automatically put tracks into a playlist. To create a new Smart Playlist click on File and the New Smart Playlist and then tell it what you want in it. For example, you might want all tracks that were released in the 80s in a playlist or you might want a playlist with a couple of your favourite artists in, easy, see the screenshots.
    The main advantage of a Smart Playlist is that you can set it to check all new music that you import into iTunes and automatically add them if they match the criteria.

Attached Files:

6. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A shortcut for creating a playlist: select the songs you want to include in a playlist, then choose New Playlist From Selection from the File menu (or use the shown keyboard shortcut). iTunes will add the songs to a new playlist,automatically named from the selection, but you can rename this to suit.

7. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some ideas to try:

Just Added - Everything you've added recently to iTunes. This includes music purchased from iTunes music store as well as music ripped from CDs. So, for example is you wanted to have only those tracks added in the last fortnight, specify this:
    ? Date added is within the last 14 days.

Oldies - A playlist with songs that haven't been played in a certain time period. For example, for six months, try this:
    ? Last played is not within the last three months

Recent Top Rated - A list that contains any high rated song that you've played recently. Try this:
    ? Last Played is within the last 5 days
    ? My rating is in the range three to five stars.

8. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's an Easter Egg

While in the About iTunes window hold down the Option (Mac) or Alt (Windows) key to see the credits "reverse" scroll.

9. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    iTunes can be easily used to convert songs from one format and setting to another. Say, you want to change an AAC file to mp3, or an mp3 of one setting to another (say, for a lower-quality - hence smaller size - mobile phone ring tone),

First, set the iTunes Importing preference (you'll find this on the Importing tab of the Preferences dialog box) to the format and setting you want. Click OK to close the Preferences dialog box.

Next, in the Library, highlight the songs you want to convert. Now choose Convert Selection To... from the Advanced menu (alternatively, right-click and choose it from the pop-up menu).

The songs will be re-imported in the chosen format. You will end up with two versions of each song. Delete the version you don't want from the Library.

Note that when converting from one lossy format to another, quality may be lost.

10. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,325
    There is a section on the Apple Support web site about how to get to grips with iTunes here

11. Diglitpie

Diglitpie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, i dont know if you can help me , but ive put a video (5mins) on my new ipod...i converted it using itunes then dragged it over to copy from my pc to ipod..The sound does not come on but the video shows..Why is there no sound...
    PS im new to this so if you cant help, no probs.
    Jessica

12. TEKNICOLOURFOX

TEKNICOLOURFOX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    hi, i need a little help, everytime i load itunes up it says library is damaged and creates a new one, often missing lots of songs off or putting doubles of albums etc. in it, and i have to go get all my podcasts etc again, its sometimes also says my ipod isnt registered to this computer and wipes/re installs everything on it. anyone any ideas its very frustrating, as it goes through the whole gapless playback etc routine everytime it loads as well...

I have all my music/videos etc on a seperate internal HD at the moment will that effect it?

cheers in advance

:thumbsup:

13. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    It can - before you import your library, go into Preferences->Advanced, and uncheck the box for "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library". It will then leave all your files where you have put them, and just index them in place. This is what I do, and it has worked fine on every version of iTunes since the first Windows release up to the current one.

I still don't understand people slagging off iTunes - it does everything you want a media manager to do, it has a decent tagging interface, and it is quite happy to allow you to manage your library the way you want to if you so desire.

14. Del Boy Smiffy

Del Boy Smiffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +414
    Helppppppppppppppp, im trying to download podcasts(1UP Show) and it keeps cutting out during it, it even got to just 2mb from end and it stopped.

What i want to know is do i have to completely restart the download and hope it completes or is there a way round this?

15. Carl32

Carl32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi

Could some please help me regarding importing ablums to itunes. Most discs seem to be fine but certain album tracks dont seem to stay together as one album next to the artwork. Some discs i import have 4 or 5 pictures of the same cover with 2 or 3 tracks next to each one rather than one cover with all the tracks together ( the way i want it) Is there a way to get round this ? :rolleyes:

Also could somoene tell me if the songs are not together on itune does that mean they wont be together as one album when you put it on your ipod ? or will that problem be sorted out when you transfer them. Havnt got my ipod yet but just ordered the 120GB classic. Help :lease:

Thanks folks.