iTunes from external NAS using existing MP3s

bigbex

I have just completed re-ripping all my CD's to my new NAS box as FLAC files which I have then converted to MP3's. I have an existing iPod Photo and am looking to buy an iPhone. NB. I have a desktop PC running XP and a laptop running Vista HP.

I don't want to store any music on either of my computers (just on the NAS).
I don't want to change my MP3's to any other format, or duplicate any music, or change any of the tags (I want the MP3's to be able to be used with other devices).

The question is; in order to use/sync both my iPod and iPhone from either computer can I just delete all evidence of iTunes from my 2 computers and then download the latest version of iTunes and set this new iTunes to look for all its music (in MP3 format) on my NAS? Remember, I don't want to change any format/tags or duplicate all/any of my music.

If I do this, will I be able to keep my current iTunes account and will my old iPod Photo recognise/be recognised by the new iTunes? I also take it that my iPod Photo will have all its current data/music overwritten by this new sync?

Thanks in advance of any help.

Big_Si_Owen

Have removed the formatting tags to make your post easier to read :smashin:

I have just completed re-ripping all my CD’s to my new NAS box as FLAC files which I have then converted to MP3’s. I have an existing iPod Photo and am looking to buy an iPhone. NB. I have a desktop PC running XP and a laptop running Vista HP.

I don’t want to store any music on either of my computers (just on the NAS).
I don’t want to change my MP3’s to any other format, or duplicate any music, or change any of the tags (I want the MP3’s to be able to be used with other devices).

The question is; in order to use/sync both my iPod and iPhone from either computer can I just delete all evidence of iTunes from my 2 computers and then download the latest version of iTunes and set this new iTunes to look for all its music (in MP3 format) on my NAS? Remember, I don’t want to change any format/tags or duplicate all/any of my music.

If I do this, will I be able to keep my current iTunes account and will my old iPod Photo recognise/be recognised by the new iTunes? I also take it that my iPod Photo will have all its current data/music overwritten by this new sync?

Thanks in advance of any help.

psikey

Distinguished Member
Can you sync mucisc to Ipods/Iphones to multiple computers? I Didn't think you could do that.

Paul

You can if there not DRM protected files.

You just need to configure iTunes on each machine to point to the music file on the NAS drive.

Only negative is that iTunes does not dynamically look for new media so if you put some new music in your iTunes NAS folder you have to Add folder in each iTunes again which will scan over all the existing files then show the new ones. It also wise to only allow one copy of iTunes to organise the music otherwise you could have issues.

I access the music on my NAS via HTPC, two netbooks & a PS3 without having duplicated music everywhere.

The QNAP NAS drives also have an iTunes server which shows in iTunes but you can't sync music to an iPod from the music that way. OK for laptop playback only thought.

Last edited:

paulmcg

HI,

I am aware your can use the same music on multiple computers - My linkstation acts as our music folder for itunes on all of our PCs (and Twonky),

however, if I connect my iphone or my ipod touch to another computer, then it tells me I can only sync with one library - is there a trick to this, like having the library xml file on the NAS? If so how, as it is always in /user/paul/music/itunes/itunes music

Ta,
Paul

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom