itunes backup - PC to Mac?

jamesb5374

Novice Member
Hi there,

I have just become completely fed up with PC's and Windows, and so I have ordered a MacBook Pro. If I backup my itunes to disc on my PC, will it restore OK on my new Mac?

Also, when I first plug in my 3gs, will it have to restore it because it is now connected to a Mac? Just so I know if I need a couple of hours when doing it!

Cheers for any help guys :smashin:

Forbez

I did this the other day, and I must say after quite abit of reading and investigations, I found a system called CopyTrans Tuneswift .

You install it on the PC, and run a backup, to an external HD or flashdrive, then on the Mac, you import it using the same system, and I did this, and it all ran smoothly, everything worked perfect.

Try Youtubing Copytrans Tuneswift for a few video's of how to use it, It was a straightforward way of doing it.

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Looks like s nice, seamless and painless way of doing it! Is it a full free app or is it trial/limited requiring you to purchase to enable moving your entire library?

And I'm presuming this copies EVERYTHING so that when you plug an iPhone or iPod into the new computer you can sync straight away without it wanting to wipe the iPod/Phone...?

Just thinking if it is a full freeware app, and does the above, it could be the ticket for a friend of mine, that isn't well versed in computers, iTunes etc...

Forbez

Yeah, its all free at the moment, it has a Activate code on the website.

It was really simple, and having watched a few video's on Youtube, just to make sure I was doing it correctly, it was seamless, and I have updated my Iphone on the Mac since moving the library, and all seems to be there.

As it creates a backup, if it doesnt work, you still have the original on the PC.

Download it now, even if you dont plan to use it for a while, due to its current Free'ness.

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
I've doewnloaded the zip, inside which is a .exe file, so I'm guessing thats the Windows installer. No sign of a Mac one? I didn't see an activate code on the web, I'll go have another look and make a note of it

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Is it just "TUNESWIFT-ACTI-VATE-ME" ???

Forbez

I've doewnloaded the zip, inside which is a .exe file, so I'm guessing thats the Windows installer. No sign of a Mac one? I didn't see an activate code on the web, I'll go have another look and make a note of it

Is it just "TUNESWIFT-ACTI-VATE-ME" ???

I think thats the code. Its blocked from work so cant confirm.

On the mac side, there is no installer, it appears to be done via a web browser.

This is the video I used, and watched it a few times.
YouTube - How to transfer iTunes library from PC to Mac

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
That looks really clever! My friend will be going from an old PC to a new PC or laptop, so it will be windows to windows. Pesonally, I'd rather he let me set up a new library from scratch, after copying all the media files from the old computer, but I think he'd rather it just be seamless; plug in iPhone and iPod to new computer and boom, everything worked just as before (with none of the mentions of the device being synced with another library etc)

The only way I know in the past to do that was manually exporting the library to a .xml file, copying the entire folder and the .xml to the new comp, and starting iTunes holding control or alt (whichever it is on the PC) and selecting the XML. But this seems like it does the same thing, but easier since it's GUI; he might even be able to do it himself without me having to be there!

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
There's two links on it - 1 for installer (which I don't want as I'm on a Mac and I don't want/need to put it on my computer) and for the zip file.

Forbez

Thanks for that Forbez :smashin

I have downloaded tuneswift, just waiting for my MBP to arrive.

No probs mate, I had the same issue, and found this the easiest way to do it. (I would have struggled otherwise!)

It would have been rude not to share!

jamesb5374

Novice Member
No probs mate, I had the same issue, and found this the easiest way to do it. (I would have struggled otherwise!)

It would have been rude not to share!

I am now in possession of my new MacBook Pro, and am using it alongside my PC laptop while I transfer everything. After only a couple of minutes, I will never go back to Windows!

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Having moved you're library from your PC to your Mac, your iPhone shouldn't treat it as a new library, as all the backup and data files linking the iPhone to the (new) library should have copied across. So in theory, you should just be able to plug in and sync exactly as you did on your PC.

I have not tried this myself tho (as I don't need to move my library) but that's how I understand it from this thread and TuneSwift's website...

jamesb5374

Novice Member
Having moved you're library from your PC to your Mac, your iPhone shouldn't treat it as a new library, as all the backup and data files linking the iPhone to the (new) library should have copied across. So in theory, you should just be able to plug in and sync exactly as you did on your PC.

I have not tried this myself tho (as I don't need to move my library) but that's how I understand it from this thread and TuneSwift's website...

The transfer didn't take over my apps though, so I was just wondering how to go about that? I know I can just copy the Mobile Applications folder, but if I sync my phone and "transfer purchases," that should work right?

dc8900

Distinguished Member
jamesb5374 said:
The transfer didn't take over my apps though, so I was just wondering how to go about that? I know I can just copy the Mobile Applications folder, but if I sync my phone and "transfer purchases," that should work right?

You can re-download already purchased apps at no extra charge

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Ah yes true, I forgot about that

D

Deleted member 171211

Make sure your Macbook Pro is authorised in the iTunes store, right click on your iPhone and select transfer purchases. That should copy all your apps across. Then right click on your iPhone again and select backup and all should be good.

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
I thought the TuneSwift was designed so that it copied EVERYTHING from the old computer's library to the new one? music, vids, apps, backups, iphone data, ipod data, along with star ratings, playlists, play counts etc etc... Hmm

jamesb5374

Novice Member
I thought the TuneSwift was designed so that it copied EVERYTHING from the old computer's library to the new one? music, vids, apps, backups, iphone data, ipod data, along with star ratings, playlists, play counts etc etc... Hmm

As it goes, Tuneswift DID copy over all my apps, they just didn't show up in itunes until I plugged in my iphone for the first time. Everything is OK now, and I am fully migrated from PC to Mac :clap::clap::clap:

Cheers for all your help and advice, these forums are really superb for getting help :smashin::smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

What's new on Disney+ UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Focal releases 1000 Series integrated speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Klipsch announces ProMedia 2.1 BT speaker set
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
No Time to Die gets pushed to 8th Oct 2021
  • By Andy Bassett