1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Itunes assistance!

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by wilto, Sep 2, 2005.

Tags:
  1. wilto

wilto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My sister has just bought a 6GB Ipod Mini thing and with me being a sony man thru and thru i have dont know how itunes works or anything. She needs help to get it started.

From what i heard i thought Itunes would be a breeze to use compared to sonicstage.

Much the opposite - itunes is absolute pap!Sonicstage is so much better.

So i have a few questions as the itunes/ipod mini manual is pathetic.

1. When i connect the ipod mini up to the computer itunes loads up and it starts putting music on her ipod automatically. How do i stop this from happening because she dosent want my music on her ipod.

2. Because there is so much of my music on her ipod she wants to delete it off her ipod and i cant find a way of getting rid of it so where is the option to reformat the ipod to get it clean and wiped?

Im really disapointed with itunes having heard so many good things about it.

Any help is much appreciated though!

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,886
    You don't format the iPod using iTunes, you use the iPod Updater software to do that kind of thing (download the latest version 1st would be advisable).
    There is an option within itunes to manually update the iPod rather than do it automatically.

3. wilto

wilto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    and i can get that updater software off the apple site?
    where is the option for manual update?

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,886
    The updater software comes on a CD with the iPod but you can get the latest if there is a later version from the apple site.
    When the iPod is connected you need to click Edit/Preferences then click on the iPod tab to change the options there.

5. wilto

wilto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ok ive put songs into the library how do i actually get them onto the ipod.i cant find the transfer button or anything.

man give me sonicstage anyday!

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,886
    Most people manage to read the instructions and find it easy ;)

7. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Dock the iPod and it transfers automatically as default once detected. Just like Sonicstage finally does these days. The major difference is that iTunes takes less time to start up, and also allows a range of playlists to be easily created, automatically updated and automatically transferred.

If you want to disable automatic updating, right click on the iPod and select that you want to update it manually. Alternatively, you can get slightly smarter and define a regular playlist which you can populate manually, plus say a number of smart playlists with limited selections... such as "1Gb of randomly selected pop" etc... then set the iPod to sync automatically with only those playlists.

The more you get into iTunes, the more you'll realise what a steadily improving, but still hugely inferior package Sonicstage is.

8. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    No, iTunes is ****, and it takes a bloody age to start up, even though it has festooned its stupid helper apps all over my sistem like the virus it truly is.

9. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,886
    Yes Ian, you've told us before that you don't like it !

10. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63

I would understand this sentiment to an extent if you were an iRiver / iAudio owner, but this from an HD5/Sonicstage owner? Hilarious.

11. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let's face it, all music management software's got its up and downs. I notice no one mentions WMP's pros and cons? If this or WinAmp could be used to sync effortlessly with Sony's DAPs, I'd kick SS to the curb tomorrow ...

12. wilto

wilto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    when will the realise we use winamp or a small program which uses minimal resources to play music.

all we want is something to transfer music [well thats the case for me and my family]

13. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    There you go, somone who speaks perfect sense.

14. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Never a truer word was spoken!
    I wouldn't be surprised if wilto asks next how to charge the iPod battery. :D Sorry wilto, but it's all too easy to have a wee jiib at you. When you installed iTunes, did you not bother to spend all of 5 mins looking at what functions it had - it's normally the first thing most people do with new software, especially how to customise settings, etc. Straight away, you'd have found the Preferences and been able to play around with them.
    iPod updater is in the Apple section of downloads on its site - you can even search for it.
    Delete individual songs on the iPod by selecting iPod in the left hand panel of iTunes (when it's connected) and select whichever song(s) from it's track list is no longer wanted. Right click or press delete key.