iTunes apps on Mac HD even though library elsewhere?

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by daveb975, Aug 31, 2012.

1. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +402
    I have just replaced the HDD on my iMac with a small SSD boot drive.

I have carefully installed only OSX and apps on there, with all of my media going onto external HDDs.

Tonight, I have noticed that the iTunes folder on the SSD is 15GB, even though my 1TB iTunes library is on the external drive. On further investigation, this appears to be all of the iPhone/iPad apps that I have downloaded.

Does anyone know why they would not be consolidated with the rest of the library on the external HDD? Is there anyway to get them there?

2. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    It's the default location and can't be changed IIRC. Doesn't take long to build up that many Apps these days too.

Try deleting some old ones you no longer use? You can always download them again for free anyway?

3. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +402
    Thanks. I thought that might be the case. I will have a purge of them later.

It is not too much of a problem at 15GB. By the time it gets too big, a larger SSD will be much cheaper anyway!

4. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    True enough. I have an older 2006 iMac with 96GB SSD installed and went through the same process a while back.

5. css_jay99

css_jay99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38

I know this is an old tread but I disagree. The OP is taking about OSX ... which should allow you to move the Apps folder ....

I have a rMBP and this is what I did last night to change the location of my Apps .......

1) created directory path DataHD2/Music/itunes/iTunes Media
    DataHD2 is a new partition on my Mac. Point yours to a NAS ....
    2) Go into Itunes preferences and change Itunes media location to (1)
    Since I don't use Itunes to organize my Music, nothing is changes so far ....
    I did consolidate my Itunes Library either becasue i want to leave it in the default location...
    3) go Into Itunes and download any free app; Itunes auto creates a new 'mobile application' folder in the iTunes Media directory created in (1). This confirms that any new App download will now go into your new directory
    4) Move the contents of the default Mobile Apps directory into the new Apps directory.
    5) Go into Itunes and delete all the apps, Then reselect them again but from the new location and everything would be imported again ... but from the new location.
    6) Go into the default itunes folder and delete all the apps and all should be fine

I think the underlying thing is that
    (a) Your 'new' Mobile applications folder will always reside in the same location you change your itunes library to
    (b) Your itl & xml files will only change location when you use itunes to Organize & consolidate your Library.

I was only interested in (a) and the steps above worked perfectly fine for me on mountain lion ...

cheers

css_jay99

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  6. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    My mistake. I misread Media as being TV Shows and Movies, with Music staying on the main hard drive of the Mac. You are quite right in your process and would be what I would do too in that scenario. My reply was based around not being able to split Music and Apps easily if iTunes is managing the folders for Music.

I stand corrected and thanks for picking me up on it as the OP can now do what he needs. It will teach me to read the initial post more thoroughly! Doh!

7. ianbuckley

ianbuckley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63

(a) The use of the word "library" is misleading. The two library files .itl and .xml should remain in the iTunes default location. It is the iTunes Media "Folder" that you create in a new location.
    (b) Not true. The location of the .itl and .xml library files do not move when you Organise and Consolidate they remain in the default location. Consolidate moves a copy of the media to the new Media Folder and updates location references in the library files. Organisation creates the iTunes folder structure of Artist/Album/Media etc.

New apps can get located to the default iTunes location instead of the Media Folder on the NAS if the NAS is not online when iTunes is loaded. In this situation iTunes automatically relocates the Media Folder back to the default location.

I have a icon of my NAS Public Share on my Desktop that is alway visible when connected online.

8. css_jay99

css_jay99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    cheers for the update