1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iTUNEs - Any good for a non IPOD owner?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by figoagogo, Apr 14, 2005.

Tags:
  1. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +584
    Hi

I need a free program that can create MP3s, I understand the Itunes can create MP3 as well as Macs own AAC format.

Can iTunes convert WMA to MP3, and can it resample MP3 to different sizes?

Is iTuens a good media player in its own right?

NOTE: I have used:

SonicStage :mad: It crashes, but was needed for my NetMD
    RealPlayer :boring: You have to pay for some functions
    WindowMedia Player :rolleyes: does everything I need except convert existing MP3s/WMAs

The final files are for use on a cheap MP3 player (256MB) and a Sony PSP (256MB Memory Stick).

Any ideas...

2. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    I-tunes will do all that for you, easy to use as well. I use AAC (it's Apples preferred format but it's not Mac only!). AAC is heaps better than mp3 at lower bit rates, 192k and below it's wins hands down, shame it's only supported by ipods really.

I-Tunes will convert an wma (has to be drm free of course) into an mp3 at whatever bit rate you want. What do you need to resample the bit rate for?, it can easily lower the bit rate if you want to reduce the file sizes for use on the psp.

Say you have a 320k mp3 in your i-tunes library to convert to 128k. I-Tunes default will be AAC conversion so go to edit >>> preferances (or use ctrl +) >>> importing >>> select import using mp3 encoding, then underneath select your desired bit rate. Now right click on your mp3 file in the i-tunes library and choose convert selection to mp3. Your new file will appear in the i-tunes library and be stored in your i-tunes music folder on your hard drive. To do them all at once just select all (ctrl A) and right click then convert.

Overall I would say i-tunes is by far the easiest media player to use, I have real player, i-tunes, windows media player and quick time player and never use the others. I also used i-tunes when I did'nt have an ipod.

3. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +584
    From what you have said it seems ITUNES will do the trick. I want to resample WMA in to MP3 (so they are PSP compatible) and I also one want to reduce the file size of some existing MP3 so I can fit more on the limited 256MB. I will keep all these samller files in a new directory and keep my eixisting ones.

What Mp3 bit rate do you think I can get away with for portable music. Bearing in mind the PSP isn't a dedicated music player, and I will also be playing through some Sony portable speakers? FYI this is for my holiday in Kefalonia and I want to play some chilled out tunes at night :cool:

4. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    I would never go lower than 128, 128 is liveable but as your gonna be playing it through a set of speakers 192 would be better. You don't notice the quality degradation with the lower bit rates as much when using earphones.

5. VORD

VORD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    iTunes is great for converting. I would reccomend no lower then 160kbps though. You may have to fit on less songs, but the better sound quality is worth it.