1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ITunes and previously ripped MP3's

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by dolph, Jan 31, 2005.

Tags:
  1. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I have recently started to use ITunes (along with a mini ipod) and like the way the library is organised using cddb on cd's I get Itunes to convert.

However I have quite a few MP3's on my harddrive already that were ripped before I had internet access and hence no CDDB info / MP3 tag info on the files.

I know these MP3 files can be added to the ITunes library but how do I go about getting ITunes to look these up in the CDDB library to correctly categorise them?

Thanks in advance.

2. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    This would have been usefull! I manually did all mine with the help of amazon!

3. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you use a Mac, there's at least one utility for doing this (MPFreaker - which also locates CD artwork as well if you want). There may be similar utilities for Windows, but I'm not sure.

I *think* that earlier version of iTunes had the feature built-in, but Apple took it out probably because of DRM issues.

4. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've checked, and further on this: on the Mac you select tracks, then choose Advanced>Get CD Track Names. I expect it'll be the same in Windows iTunes.

However, from iTunes 4.7 onwards, you get a message that says iTunes can't do it for music that's not imported using iTunes. It's to ensure that you definitely own the CD that the tracks came from. iTunes versions prior to v4.7 work for non-iTunes imported tracks apparently...

5. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Ok - well I have the latest version of ITunes so it looks like a no go. There are some free programs on the PC but of course they don't have the liscence for gracenote's cddb and instead use stuff from freedb (or something like that).

Unfortunately freedb is a lot less regulated and you often get back about 20 results of the same album with varying errors and inconsistencies.

Looks like I may have to re-rip all my albums....groan.

6. Dazza Cole

Dazza Cole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    the new itunes is a pain that you can't import certain formats....i ended up copying to a blank cd those that I wanted and imported via the disc....only problem was the default track names came up with something TOTALLY different :thumbsdow

7. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ??? What do you mean? What formats?

8. Dazza Cole

Dazza Cole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Music downloaded from sites other than iTunes, such as napster

9. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, that's to do with Digital Rights Management issues rather than formats, then, and applies to whatever system you use. So why would you want to use anything other than the iTunes Music Store anyway? It's the best, with the greatest numbers of tracks, and currently the cheapest per track.