1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iTunes and lost library. Please help!

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by danwalton, Oct 20, 2005.

Tags:
  1. danwalton

danwalton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Stupidly, I moved the 'iTunes' folder from 'My Music' on my PC a little while ago, and when I then loaded up iTunes, all of the songs, playlists and podcasts had gone, including around 2000 songs that I had spent ages rating :( Obviously it hasn't deleated the actual MP3s from my harddrive, but is there any way to get the info (such as the rated songs) back into iTunes without having to re-import the whole lot and re-rate it all? As soon as I realised what had happened I put the iTunes folder back into 'My Music', but that didn't solve it! Please help if you have any ideas! :)

2. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Did you reboot after moving the library back? Quitting iTunes, moving the file back, and rebooting should have sorted it. Check the location in iTune's Prefs to see if it's pointing at the right place for the songs - if not fix that too.

3. dancingmatt

dancingmatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If iTunes couldn't find your library file when you moved everything, it probably would have made a new one with nothing in it. Putting the library file back should've fixed it unless you didn't replace the newer blank one. So yeah, close iTunes, find the new library files (I think there are two) by comparing the modified date and time, stick them in your recycle bin for now and put the old stuff back. Then run iTunes again. Maybe reboot inbetween for extra "closure"!

I think the library file lists where the tracks are and your ratings and play count for them. So as long as you still have it then I'd be surprised if you couldn't put it back together.