1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iTunes and AAC conversion...?

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by Falp, Sep 21, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi!

I rip all my music to 160 or 192 kbps mp3.

But if I want to maximise my iPOD memory and select the "convert to 128 Kbps AAC for this iPOD" option it takes ages to tranfer music, 1 hour maybe, to a 512Mb Shuffle... is this normal :confused:

2. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it is normal. Effectively you are doing a play & re-rip of each song for the new format.

One option is to convert first (so you have two copies of each song in iTunes in different formats) then use appropriate (smart or other) playlists to use one format on your shuffle, and the other elesewhere. Only potential problem is shortage of disk space.

It hardly seems worth it, because you probably only get to play the 160kbps MP3's once per battery charge anyway, so you might as well change your selections at the same time as recharging instead of trying to squeeze a few more songs on.

3. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanx! :)
    I prefer to rip in Mp3 192 mbps for compatibility/quality reasons with other electronics, but wanted to maximize iPOD memory...