• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

iTunes alternative ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE GFP

Banned
i like most people i know hate iTunes as its overly complicated

are there any other simple (maybe even drag n drop) programmes that will get music off my pc onto the ipod as ive got like 800 ish albums and can not be botherd to use itunes for it to then go all wonky on me yet again

id prefer free ones but even if i have to pay aslong as it a good one i dont mind

PJTX100

Distinguished Member
Have a look at Media Monkey.

Stoofa

With all respect - exactly how is iTunes over complicated?
You launch the program, you either import MP3's, Rip CD's or buy music from the store.
Next step, attach iPod and wait for it to syncronise.

Seriously - if you find this software over complicated then you are going to find anything too complicated.

Oh and no - I don't think you will find that most people hate iTunes.
You will find that those vocal anti-iTunes people tend to not actually be iPod owners.
Like the anti-AOL people of the past and the anti-MS people of today the vast majority of them simply jump onto the bandwagon of it "being cool" to slag-off certain manufacturers.

Pidsley

Standard Member
I am and iTunes user and an ipod owner. Its easy to use but i don't like it much. I used to use Musicmatch which was great but now that Yahoo has got it, well.

One thing iTunes is th quietest player on my pc, how can i increase the volume. I have all volume menu setting to max. yet its still quieter ( a lot) that realpplayer, msmedia etc

THE GFP

Banned
itunes is just a pain

my 80gb ipod is fine and i maximise itunes with album covers, radio subs and other such stuff but when you compare it to a drag n drop system then itunes is way more oquard than it needs to be

if im in a hurry then i cant just chuck a new album on like i can with my other drag n drop mp3 player

spl23

if im in a hurry then i cant just chuck a new album on like i can with my other drag n drop mp3 player

With a drag and drop player, you

1) plug it in and it appears as a drive
2) open the window for that drive
3) drag the files to it
4) wait for the files to copy
5) unmount the drive

With iTunes, you

1) open iTunes
2) drag the files into iTunes
3) plug in the iPod
4) wait for it to sync
5) disconnect the iPod

How is the first any easier or quicker? It just isn't....they are the same steps in a slightly different order. OK, it may take perhaps a minute or so longer for iTunes to complete the sync than it does to just drag the files to an external drive, but is that additional minute (and that is all it is - about a minute) really such a pain?

I just don't get all the "drag and drop is better than iTunes" arguments - I really don't!

emo72

well i just got my first apple player for christmas and find it really awkward.

ive had loads of other players (iriver) before this, but i fell for the Touch.

imported all my tunes into itunes and it split all the albums up into separate
folders.Its a nightmare,awkward to get titles, awkward to get album covers.

I hate itunes and will be dumping it because they dont make it easy unless you give them credit card details.:thumbsdow

Tom Tom

For my creative I use WinAmp, not sure if it works with IPod but worth a go?

spl23

imported all my tunes into itunes and it split all the albums up into separate
folders.

But that's a good thing, surely? If you have 10,000+ MP3s (as I do), believe me, sticking them all in one folder is a really bad idea. iTunes by default subdivides into artist and album folders - that is the sensible thing to do, and I can't see any circumstances under which it might be a problem. Once they are in the folders, you never need to see them again, as iTunes manages transfer of them to the iPod. If you want to copy them into some other media manager, you can just grab the relevant album folder, or artist folder, or the whole music folder, and drag and drop it in.

And if it really bothers you that iTunes organises your collection in a hierarchical fashion, you can turn it off - just untick "Keep iTunes music folder organised" in preferences, and you can have all the chaos you want...

Its a nightmare,awkward to get titles, awkward to get album covers.

It is no more awkward to get titles than any other ripping program I've used - you stick the disc in, it looks up titles from a database, that's it. How is that a nightmare? (And come to that, the data from ripping with iTunes is better spelled and more accurate than that provided by FreeDB as used by EAC, for example.)

And getting an album cover involves selecting the album and choosing "Get Album Artwork" from the menu - again, not really a nightmare. Yes, you do need an ITMS account, but you can create one and then remove the credit card details from it, which is what I did.

I hate itunes and will be dumping it because they dont make it easy unless you give them credit card details.:thumbsdow

The only thing that changes with card details is automatic album art download - and as I said above, you can remove the credit card details and it still works.

I just don't get this. I have used numerous music managers - my first iPod came with MusicMatch (remember that?), my Zen used Creative MediaSource, and I've wrestled with WMP in numerous versions. None of them are a patch on iTunes in terms of useability, and yet iTunes is constantly getting slagged off for being awkward, a pain, a nightmare etc. You can have a go at Apple for a lot of things, but making stuff which is difficult to use is *not* one of them.

Just what is it that all you iTunes haters are using? It must be pretty bloody spectacular, and I'd like to try it...

redinfra

Standard Member
Used to using WinAmp, so I use WinAmp with the ml_pod plugin to manage my iPod Classic 80GB. iTunes only used to update the iPod software. I did try to use iTunes, but it wasn't intuitive for me, so I stuck with the tried and testd.

Gary D

Distinguished Member
a lot of 3rd party players (media Monkey et al) will wipe the new classic as the database files are not compatible (i've wiped mine 3 times looking for an itunes replacement). i'm not sure if they work with the touch.

i hate itunes as well but i dont hate its functionality i hate the coding for the windows version which makes it run like a dog. Although that said since itunes 7.5 and firmware 1.0.3 its run alot better.

I have to manage 2 media libraries one for windows media centre and one for itunes. I worked out how to manage all my files now an i can add a new CD (to both libraries) in under 5 mins. I also dont let any program have control of my MP3's - i tag them with tag and rename and NEVER let itunes update them. i'm a bit anal about my MP3 files.

Gary

bucketheadbob

Standard Member
I agree ITUNES messes up everything . All of my mp3s are in separate folders for each album, each has it's own artist name and album name. Albums like NOW 69 etc are called Now69.

Itunes insists on taking every track out of the folders and putting it where it wants. Why can't it leave everything where I put it

I have SOOO many mp3s and they will not all fit on to my IPOD touch . If I could just drag and drop onto the IPOD touch it would be so much easier.

If you only have 300 albums it would be easy, but when you have loads more than this it will be almost impossible to go through every album and edit the tags, if you have greatest hits albums it take the tracks out and sticks them next to the original tracks . It then appears that you have mutiple tracks but you don't.

If this is wrong please tell me.

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
What gets me with iTunes, is it keeps getting updated, and bigger and bigger and bigger - IMO not as slick as it once was, still better than WMP!

The most annoying thing for me is not being able to store all my podcasts, in the podcast catergory :eek:

In an ideal world I would like one Media Player (of my choice) to work with any MP3/MP4 device (of my choice) - One day? :confused:

dwhite

Distinguished Member
Seems to me most of the complaints are if you already have a collection of music stored on your PC and then you start to use Itunes, it messes up your way of storing music.

Howver, If you start with Itunes and let it always manage your music. I find no problem with it.

spl23

If you are buying any of the new iPods, I believe the question is academic - I don't think anyone has yet managed to reverse the checksums that recent versions of iTunes calculate to confirm that the library they have uploaded to the iPod is valid, so I don't believe that any of the iTunes alternatives will work with a classic, a touch, an iPhone or the fat nano onwards.

spl23

Itunes insists on taking every track out of the folders and putting it where it wants. Why can't it leave everything where I put it

It can - before you import your library, go into Preferences->Advanced, and uncheck the box for "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library". It will then leave all your files where you have put them, and just index them in place. This is what I do, and it has worked fine on every version of iTunes since the first Windows release up to the current one.

I still don't understand people slagging off iTunes - it does everything you want a media manager to do, it has a decent tagging interface, and it is quite happy to allow you to manage your library the way you want to if you so desire.

spl23

I have SOOO many mp3s and they will not all fit on to my IPOD touch . If I could just drag and drop onto the IPOD touch it would be so much easier.

Simple - drag and drop just the ones you want on your touch into iTunes, plug in the touch, sync - job done. If you want to change, just delete the ones you no longer want from iTunes (which is just as easy as deleting them from a player), add any new ones, resync. It's no harder or more time-consuming than directly dragging and dropping to a player.

Or, use iTunes the way it is meant to be used, set your touch to only sync checked content, and only tick the files you want to transfer - even easier than dragging and dropping, and iTunes will allow you to select multiple tracks and tick or untick all of them at once.

If you only have 300 albums it would be easy, but when you have loads more than this it will be almost impossible to go through every album and edit the tags, if you have greatest hits albums it take the tracks out and sticks them next to the original tracks . It then appears that you have mutiple tracks but you don't.

iTunes is no harder to use for tag editing than anything else - if you have 300 albums that need tagging, you have a pain in the a*se on your hands whatever tool you use. Yes, the tagger in iTunes misses a few handy features, like automatic tagging based on file name, and automatic numbering - but in that case, get your tags correct before you import them with one of the numerous programs designed to make mass tagging easy. Anything you import from CD in iTunes will get tagged automatically from the online database, and it is easy enough to edit the tags afterwards.

If you have greatest hits albums, set the "album artist" tag to "Various Artists" and tick the "part of a compilation" box - iTunes is designed to handle this as well.

Why don't people learn to use the tool before they start accusing it of being no good? ;-)

stephentw

While we're on is there a way to stop the actual ipod alphabetisicing artists that start with "A" by the second word? It's a pain, fair enough with "The" but its just irritating with "A".

Does that make sense?

Gary D

Distinguished Member
While we're on is there a way to stop the actual ipod alphabetisicing artists that start with "A" by the second word? It's a pain, fair enough with "The" but its just irritating with "A".

Does that make sense?

In short "No" - its Apple playing daddy again as only Apple can.

spl23

In short "No" - its Apple playing daddy again as only Apple can.

Yes, there is - use the "Sort Artist" field on the sorting tab under Get Info. You will find the artist name in that field minus the leading A - just put it back, and observe your artists are now sorted how you want them...

I'm sorry, but people forget that Apple were the first company to produce both a decent consumer MP3 player and a decent PC music management application. They've been doing this stuff for a long time, and they usually get most things right, so just slagging them off because you can't be bothered to look in the online help is a bit pointless... ;-)

Last edited:

spl23

Anapod
been using this for ages, in fact never used itunes..... never will!!

http://www.redchairsoftware.com/

Doesn't work with new iPods though -
"Anapod Software currently supports the following devices:

* Apple iPod nano: First Generation
* Apple iPod nano: Second Generation
* Apple iPod shuffle: First Generation
* Apple iPod shuffle: Second Generation
* Apple iPod mini: First Generation
* Apple iPod mini: Second Generation
* Apple iPod: First Generation (mechanical wheel)
* Apple iPod: Second Generation (touch wheel)
* Apple iPod: Third Generation (touch wheel)
* Apple iPod: Fourth Generation (click wheel)
* Apple iPod: Fifth Generation (video display)
* Apple iPod photo
* Apple iPod U2 Special Edition
* iPod+HP (same as 4th Gen Apple iPod)"

No mention of touch, classic, fat nano, new nano, iPhone etc - as I said before, they all use a new signing method for the library that the third-party developers haven't reversed yet.

stephentw

Yes, there is - use the "Sort Artist" field on the sorting tab under Get Info. You will find the artist name in that field minus the leading A - just put it back.

We were talking about the ipod itsself, did you mean in itunes?

spl23

We were talking about the ipod itsself, did you mean in itunes?

I had always assumed that sort order was transferred to the iPod from iTunes - certainly when iTunes was changed recently to file numeric entries at the bottom of the list rather than the top, my iPod changed as well the next time I synced.

Have you tried it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom