1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

!!!--itunes, AAC Audio, PSP and 2.0 HELP--!!!

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by VinceVega, Sep 5, 2005.

1. VinceVega

VinceVega

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my wicked PSP

I have an ipod and use itunes AAC format files as i feel there better than MP3s. Just to save me time of slogging though my music files and changing them to play on my PSP i thought the firmware 2.0 would allow AAC playback.

Am i doing somthing wrong.

My AAC files are 160kbps at 44.000Khz (big i know but i have a 20g ipod and a 512mem stick pro duo)

I dragged and dropped the AAC file in the music folder and nothing was there but an mp3 worked

Hope someone can help

Later

VV

2. zoidy

zoidy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi,

try changing the file extension from .m4a or .m4b to .mp4 and then see if the PSP picks them up.

If your music files have the .m4p extension then you would need to use some software to convert it into a non protected file. The PSP does not support protected iTunes files.

Cheers,
    Pete.

3. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,239
    PSP only playsback MP3 and Atrac 3+ files

4. zoidy

zoidy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi LFC SL,

the PSP will actually play aac files but only if you upgrade to version 2.0 firmware. I know becuase I have tested it myself. I am using DBPowerAmp to convert from MP3 to MP4 AAC audio.

Pete.

5. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    It won't play .aac files, mate, unless the extension is renamed to .mp4.

At least that's what I've heard. I don't use my PSP for music, and I won't until games have custom soundtracks.

6. bellso

bellso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    as mentioned, u need to rename to mp4 instead of aac

7. VinceVega

VinceVega

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help!!!

I renamed an .m4a AAC file from itunes and renamed it .mp4 droped it on my mem stick and my psp can see and play it. The dum ass thing is the icon to the right on the psp screen when playing the track says AAC!

Sony need to sort this out me thinks, i tunes is a really nice music manager/browser with online shop so i think its a good thing to tap into unless sony brings out somthing better!!

later

VV

8. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +704
    Vince,

what program did you use to rename the .m4a to mp4 ?

Sony doesn't need to sort out the psp as it's working OK.It is correctly displaying AAC file playing because it still is an AAC. m4a and mp4 are both AAC files, the only difference is m4a contains purely audio and mp4 can contain audio and video.itunes just imports it as an m4a file because it knows that it's audio only.

Sony simply need to update firmware to allow both AAC file extensions.

9. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,239

10. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +704
    LFC_SL

You bloody star, I've literally spent hours trawling the net trying to find a program to change file extensions and that works a treat.I had no idea you could do that in windows thanks very much mate.

11. VinceVega

VinceVega

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aye just make sure you can view your file extentions by changing your windows folder options.

My computer -> tools -> folder options -> View tab and just make sure hide extensions for known file types is unchecked so you can see all file extentions.

Then with your itunes .m4a you can just literally rename the file extention to .mp4 drop it on ya mem stick and ya psp sees it.

You can also change your THM thumbnail images you get for your video9 movies.

Create a 160 x 120 pixel image at 72dpi in Photoshop or similer application to refrence your film e.g. starwars logo or what ever your film is.

Then save it as an rgb jpg. Then copy paste the file name of your original .THM file into the jpg file name you have just made so its the same, and then replace your old .THM file with your new

Just drop it back in the correct place in your movie folder in your psp mem stick and when you view your movie on your psp mem stick the image will be your new one.

cool

later

VV