Bargain Expired iTunes 4K Movies

Be careful using the U.S list. Don't forget that some studios offering UHD files stateside won't be the ones with UK distribution rights over here. I'm hoping that they give us the Watchmen and King Kong UHD releases, at least then we might actually get the extended editions made available over here then. Same goes for Terminator 2.

Don't get me started on tv show ripping. If you actually have the time and patience to go through and rip, shrink, rename every episode of long running tv shows like X-files, Friends, Frasier, Etc then you go for it. The space they take up is ridiculous on HDD even shrunk down. Tv Shows will ultimately add to your server costs a lot, for a bulk of files that will just be sitting there most of the time. You are also at the point now where some studios have stopped bothering releasing tv show titles on disc, or only on DVD. If you think the effort involved is worth the extra cost and hassle that's fine, I wouldn't have gone down that road to start with if I didn't like the idea of it.

Search for a program called FileBot. Its free and it renames all episodes to whatever format you prefer. Saved me a lot of time over the years.

I've got Life of Pi on my US iTunes account and that's 4K too, I hope one of these two is HDR so I can try the new ATV on Friday. Also if a disc or download is Dolby Vision and your TV is only HDR you don't get HDR10?

Only says Dolby Vision at the mo. Maybe things will change when 4k ATV is officially out.

If something says Dolby Vision then it's basically HDR10 but with added metadata on top, so playback will still come in HDR for TV's that cannot output Dolby Vision. Similar analogy to how old Av receivers can still pick out a core Dolby Digital track if they couldn't handle Dolby True HD.

Having had a server setup over Plex, Kodi and iTunes, I can safely say that what you gain in convenience once everything is on there is lost with all the work you have to constantly put in beforehand.

Apple TV way.
Click home button.
Click Siri button.
Say "Sucker Punch".
Picture loads up on screen with a buy now button. Click and watch film.

Server setup way.
Browse Amazon and buy film.
When film turns up the next day or two back it up. Making sure you've unchecked the irrelevant audio laungage stuff you don't want.
Once that's done then you may want to shrink that down. In which case you'll want a half decent pc to shrink it with. You load up the film, check that it's done the right resolution, chosen the right audio tracks, checked that it's added what subtitle tracks you think it'll need. Then wait multiple hours to shrink it.
Add that into your Plex library, making sure to match it with the correct title.

At that point then you are at the same stage as on iTunes.

Click home screen.
Load up Plex.
Find movie.
Click play.

Oops. You've accidentally copied the maximum movie mode, and you've got Zack Snyder talking away on screen instead of the opening credits. And... go back and do all that again. :facepalm:

Or it could be Men in Black, and you start watching to find out that you've got some weird computer pop 2nd screen stuff come on 10 minutes into the movie that you didn't know was hard coded into one of the video files, and you needed to do another one instead.

Or it could any one of a number of lionsgate titles where you have literally hundreds of near identical video track files to choose from, but only one plays the films chapters in the right order. So you have to search around on Google until you find it.

Or it could be Avengers Age of Ultron where you think you've done it right first time, until you realise that 20 minutes in it hasn't picked up all the subtitle tracks, so Black Widow is mumbling away in Russian and you haven't a clue what she's saying. Same can be said for the likes of Avatar, or even films you don't really think about as having a "foreign language" like the Star Trek movies.

Unfortunately that list could go on and on with stuff like that I've had over the years.. :D

That's without factoring in all the HDD costs involved just to keep it running.

Say: "Sucker Punch"

Ends your movie watching career right there. Or at least any credibility on any forum.

Say: "Sucker Punch"

Ends your movie watching career right there. Or at least any credibility on any forum.

I know, I know, even now I think I overpaid for it.. :D

IMG_1021.PNG

Last edited:
All mine are too also now

Love the 4k of the Apple TV and price of movies but very disappointed no Dolby Atmos / DTS X is mentioned. Does anyone know if it will / could support Atmos enabled movies tracks.

The iTunes films certainly could support atmos as its capable of Dolby Digital + in the same way that Netflix have Atmos - but for clarity this is still not lossless Dolby True HD with Atmos

I'm wondering if they will still support downloading. I don't stream, but on iTunes on my PC I download in 1080p then just play over my home loan via sharing (and the apple tv loads it). Stuff streaming, honestly. Whenever I've had to, in Australia it is a poor poor substitute, and you are just expected to put up with glitches, no chapter stops, poor subtitles, no extras, and substandard audio and video.

For streaming local files with an apple TV you should consider infuse. It sets up your library automatically and keeps track across platforms of what you have seen and not seen. You can save your library to icloud and most importantly it does not need a PC for transcoding as it uses the CPU of the apple TV for that. it costs money but totally worth it in my opinion

I think it would be interesting a comparison in terms of image quality between NetFlix 4K, Amazon Prime Video 4K and iTunes 4K... :)

The iTunes films certainly could support atmos as its capable of Dolby Digital + in the same way that Netflix have Atmos - but for clarity this is still not lossless Dolby True HD with Atmos
Just read on Cult Of MAC that Apple do intend to support Atmos and DTS X. Now the 4K and everything sounds amazing to me.

well i've just bought Kingsman as bargain price and quality even just on mac looked pretty good so i can imagine will look even better in 4K

They say 4K under the thumbnail but when you look at the download file size the highest only says 1080p! So is it 4K or not?

They say 4K under the thumbnail but when you look at the download file size the highest only says 1080p! So is it 4K or not?

As far as I’m aware, you can’t download 4k, so that might be why the download size is showing 1080p.

Apple probably don't want to offer a lower grade experience on the Mac just yet, but I imagine this will turn around when the iMac 5K + MacOS + iTunes all support HDR. I guess at 500 nits and a billion colours, the iMac Pro could already do this.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom