Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

It's upgrade time...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by tom_nieto, Oct 11, 2003.

1. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    At the moment I'm scraping the bottom of the AV barrel with my system, and I'm wondering where my next logical move is. My system is as follows:

Amp = Sony STR-DE475
    CD = Sony CDP-XE570
    Speakers = Mission m72

My surround speakers and centre aren't too hot, but I don't have room to accomodate anything other than a new centre, but I'll come to that later.

I don't think I need a new CD player particularly, and I really think the money would be best spent on a new reciever with pre-outs. As I use my system a lot for music it would also make sense for me to buy an integrated stereo amp to connect to the receiver and the CD player. I have my computer connected to my amp at the moment, so a digital input is needed for surround from the computer (I use that to watch DVD, as I don't have space for a TV).

As far as the speakers go, I don't have the space for anything bigger than my missions, and wall mounting my small satellite surrounds is extremely handy. A new centre might be a good upgrade, especially for films. Once I have a bigger room, I'll probably buy some floorstanders and use my m72's as rears.

I would like to spend about £500 getting my system up to scratch. I was considering the denon 2803, but also the pioneer 812 and a separate stereo amp. That way I've got a solid base to upgrade later. Are there any other amps that you would recommend? Saying all this, my room is rather small, and I would be limited by my speakers at first.

Thanks for reading

Tom

2. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    no one loves me :(

3. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Do that. If stereo is your first love, get a stereo amp. Check out other small Missions such as M71i (£49 from RS) and a matching centre for £100 at various online suppliers. Alternatively a couple of Kef MK1 Eggs for the rears would be easy to mount at the rear. DON'T use an Egg for a centre, the centre must match the M72's tonally. Dump that Sony amp for stereo use - it's pants.

P.S. I don't love you, but hope I have helped. :D