1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's upgrade time...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by tom_nieto, Oct 11, 2003.

1. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    At the moment I'm scraping the bottom of the AV barrel with my system, and I'm wondering where my next logical move is. My system is as follows:

Amp = Sony STR-DE475
    CD = Sony CDP-XE570
    Speakers = Mission m72

My surround speakers and centre aren't too hot, but I don't have room to accomodate anything other than a new centre, but I'll come to that later.

I don't think I need a new CD player particularly, and I really think the money would be best spent on a new reciever with pre-outs. As I use my system a lot for music it would also make sense for me to buy an integrated stereo amp to connect to the receiver and the CD player. I have my computer connected to my amp at the moment, so a digital input is needed for surround from the computer (I use that to watch DVD, as I don't have space for a TV).

As far as the speakers go, I don't have the space for anything bigger than my missions, and wall mounting my small satellite surrounds is extremely handy. A new centre might be a good upgrade, especially for films. Once I have a bigger room, I'll probably buy some floorstanders and use my m72's as rears.

I would like to spend about £500 getting my system up to scratch. I was considering the denon 2803, but also the pioneer 812 and a separate stereo amp. That way I've got a solid base to upgrade later. Are there any other amps that you would recommend? Saying all this, my room is rather small, and I would be limited by my speakers at first.

Thanks for reading

Tom

2. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    no one loves me :(

3. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Do that. If stereo is your first love, get a stereo amp. Check out other small Missions such as M71i (£49 from RS) and a matching centre for £100 at various online suppliers. Alternatively a couple of Kef MK1 Eggs for the rears would be easy to mount at the rear. DON'T use an Egg for a centre, the centre must match the M72's tonally. Dump that Sony amp for stereo use - it's pants.

P.S. I don't love you, but hope I have helped. :D