1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

it's upgrade time......

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Arthur.S, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i post this with trepidation...because I know you monkeees will try to talk me into going 'over budget'! :nono:

I'm looking for an upgrade to my current Seleco 310 (not too hard, I hear you say! ). Had it for about 3 yrs now, & been very pleased with it. But obviously there are much better PJs out there. When I bought the 310, the used PJ option wasn't really viable - unless you imported from the USA. No RolandB4 then!
    So.... I've got a budget of about £3000, (permission granting from 'she who must be obeyed'!). I obviously want better picture quality (line doubled?) But also, quietness of operation is very important to me.
    what would folks recommend?

As a secondary question: what's my 310 worth? (whatever it sells for......I know! :laugh: )

2. henry1234

henry1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I sold my 310 on ebay about 4 months ago.

I set the reserve at £750 and got £761 for it.

Mine was with orginal box, packaging, brackets instructions & remote etc.

The condition was absolute mint, with 1000hrs and no visible phosphur burn whatsoever.

The person who bought it got a very well looked after projector and was blown away by the demo which I offered before they handed over the cash.

The hardest part is convincing people how much better your home projector would be compared to one coming from a pub/club background with the hours reset. Most people don't know about phosphor burn and the importance of a proper set up and careful use of the contrast settings and picture content.

Anyone who knows enough about CRT projectors to appreciate and pay more for good history/use and tube condition is more than likley to be looking for a data or graphic grade projector.

At around £750 the person who buys it will be getting a great bargain and at the same time you will be getting a fair price.

One thing I never tried was offering the projector to the local pubs including installing it. If you can live with seeing your lovely projector being thrapped to death.

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Try free beer for life at your local (try not to look too well when you make the offer)

4. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My local has the same PJ but with a tuner (350?) Oh my gawd!! The set up just makes me cringe. If I go round for beer & footy, I have to stand at the back of the room, so that it's sort of half decent.:eek:
    Mine was last setup by a certain Mr Chris Frost - nuff sed?

Roland, I sent you an e-mail on this subject. Did you get it?

5. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You lot seem to have come over all shy - can't believe the lack of replies. You're not usually this quiet!:rolleyes:

6. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Arthur,

I sold my '400 on ebay and used the funds to get a BG808s from roland, the difference is vast (so's the size :eek: )

Although your happy with the results today you'll be truly amazed at what £3k will get you. Dont forget to factor in Scaler or HTPC and you'll probably be looking at 720P

How much of an issue is size? After 2 years of a Seleco on the ceiling my wife wasn't that bothered about the increase in proj size, you just dont notice it, get her to talk to Rolands wife and you'll have a lovely 8" PJ hanging from your ceiling in no time!! Or you could go for a 1209 :devil:

Steve

7. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Size is not really an issue - the Baldyplex is a dedicated room. As I mentioned previously, quietness of operation is, as the Baldyplex isn't exactly huge. Basically, I sit directly under the PJ!

8. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    What has my wife been promising now?

9. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Arthur,
    Your welcome to come to sunny essex & view my BG 808s if you like i'm about 15mins from the dartford crossing.
    Cheers.
    Tim.

10. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Tim, I may well take you up on your offer. At the mo I'm kinda 'introducing' 'er indoors to the idea. (very gradually!):devil:
    From some of the posts on here, I'm assuming that the Cine 6 is liquid cooled & silent. Anyone confirm this? If so how's it compare with other Barcos?

11. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The Cine 6 is air cooled and pretty much silent, to all intents and purposes.
    :smashin:

12. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Arthur S

I'm in Maidstone and have a 1208 via a HCPC, if you you want to see what a 8 inch barco can do. They don't get much bigger than this................

Have a mate who has a Barco 800 who may let you see that which is via a Quadscan Elite.

Let me know.................

Rgds

Nathan