Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

it's upgrade time......

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Arthur.S, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i post this with trepidation...because I know you monkeees will try to talk me into going 'over budget'! :nono:

I'm looking for an upgrade to my current Seleco 310 (not too hard, I hear you say! ). Had it for about 3 yrs now, & been very pleased with it. But obviously there are much better PJs out there. When I bought the 310, the used PJ option wasn't really viable - unless you imported from the USA. No RolandB4 then!
    So.... I've got a budget of about £3000, (permission granting from 'she who must be obeyed'!). I obviously want better picture quality (line doubled?) But also, quietness of operation is very important to me.
    what would folks recommend?

As a secondary question: what's my 310 worth? (whatever it sells for......I know! :laugh: )

2. henry1234

henry1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I sold my 310 on ebay about 4 months ago.

I set the reserve at £750 and got £761 for it.

Mine was with orginal box, packaging, brackets instructions & remote etc.

The condition was absolute mint, with 1000hrs and no visible phosphur burn whatsoever.

The person who bought it got a very well looked after projector and was blown away by the demo which I offered before they handed over the cash.

The hardest part is convincing people how much better your home projector would be compared to one coming from a pub/club background with the hours reset. Most people don't know about phosphor burn and the importance of a proper set up and careful use of the contrast settings and picture content.

Anyone who knows enough about CRT projectors to appreciate and pay more for good history/use and tube condition is more than likley to be looking for a data or graphic grade projector.

At around £750 the person who buys it will be getting a great bargain and at the same time you will be getting a fair price.

One thing I never tried was offering the projector to the local pubs including installing it. If you can live with seeing your lovely projector being thrapped to death.

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Try free beer for life at your local (try not to look too well when you make the offer)

4. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My local has the same PJ but with a tuner (350?) Oh my gawd!! The set up just makes me cringe. If I go round for beer & footy, I have to stand at the back of the room, so that it's sort of half decent.:eek:
    Mine was last setup by a certain Mr Chris Frost - nuff sed?

Roland, I sent you an e-mail on this subject. Did you get it?

5. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You lot seem to have come over all shy - can't believe the lack of replies. You're not usually this quiet!:rolleyes:

6. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Arthur,

I sold my '400 on ebay and used the funds to get a BG808s from roland, the difference is vast (so's the size :eek: )

Although your happy with the results today you'll be truly amazed at what £3k will get you. Dont forget to factor in Scaler or HTPC and you'll probably be looking at 720P

How much of an issue is size? After 2 years of a Seleco on the ceiling my wife wasn't that bothered about the increase in proj size, you just dont notice it, get her to talk to Rolands wife and you'll have a lovely 8" PJ hanging from your ceiling in no time!! Or you could go for a 1209 :devil:

Steve

7. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Size is not really an issue - the Baldyplex is a dedicated room. As I mentioned previously, quietness of operation is, as the Baldyplex isn't exactly huge. Basically, I sit directly under the PJ!

8. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    What has my wife been promising now?

9. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Arthur,
    Your welcome to come to sunny essex & view my BG 808s if you like i'm about 15mins from the dartford crossing.
    Cheers.
    Tim.

10. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Tim, I may well take you up on your offer. At the mo I'm kinda 'introducing' 'er indoors to the idea. (very gradually!):devil:
    From some of the posts on here, I'm assuming that the Cine 6 is liquid cooled & silent. Anyone confirm this? If so how's it compare with other Barcos?

11. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The Cine 6 is air cooled and pretty much silent, to all intents and purposes.
    :smashin:

12. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Arthur S

I'm in Maidstone and have a 1208 via a HCPC, if you you want to see what a 8 inch barco can do. They don't get much bigger than this................

Have a mate who has a Barco 800 who may let you see that which is via a Quadscan Elite.

Let me know.................

Rgds

Nathan