1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Its time to go mp3 legal :)

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by monkeyleader, Nov 29, 2003.

1. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Okay so Ive been a naughty boy over the past xx years, downloading lots of music over p2p - so Ive decided to go legal - mainly due to the fact that the p2p sites are now being flooded by tracks that break down half way through :( but also because it can take an age to get a full (good quality) album - oh yeah and its not legal :)

So can anyone recomend a service for paid for music - Ive been checking out the offerings from MSN, Virgin and Apple - any other sites.

I really dont mind paying for the download, so long as I can get it there and then - and also get it onto my ipod or home cinema system.

Nigel

2. wizbongre

wizbongre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I've been playing with Wippit for a week or so. Seems okay although the range of tracks isn't great. I believe they have just signed a deal with EMI or someone...

3. maxb_1236

maxb_1236

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats what I thought the other day - I'd rather pay and get a decent quality mp3 (which is actually what it says it is), decent and reliable download speed - and I dont mind it being legal either.

However theres no such system that will let you pay for music. MSN (and all the others that use the OD2 system) is happy to take your money (as long as you have a *proper* credit card and not a solo card - the only card held by about 70% of the people that would use a system like this, but thats another matter;) ), however when it comes to letting you actually download some music...

A couple of days ago I registered (not easy) bought 1100 "credits" for a tenner in order to download norah jones' album at a cost of 799 "credits".

Went to the page, clicked permanent download for the whole album, and a little pop up window asked me if I wanted to download now or later.

Now Please

Tough - you can't download it now, so its all gone in your "download schedule" instead.

Fine then - go to download schedule and there are all the tracks. You cant download them all at the same time. So you start with the first track - click download now, 4 pop up windows open and then close in rapid succession and then your back where you where, except that tracks not listed any more. So you search round the site for 10 minutes and find you have a "music library", where that one track is listed, and the option to "recover" it.

So you click that, and get some pop ups again which all close as soon as theyre open. Except this time wmp9 opens and asks you if you want to download a file. So you do and -at last- you're downloading music. When its finished it starts playing. Miracle.

Then you go through that again for all the others. Except now when you've finished downloading a file while listening to the last one, wmp9 crashes. So you have to close it and then download the file in total silence.

Then you've finally finshed, but all the tracks are called track 2, so you go back to the album page and rename them all. And then you find that you dont have the last four songs. And there not in your "schedule" or "library". Having already decided that I wasnt going to use this again, I thought I might aswell just use up the spare credits I had and download the last four songs. However when I tried to do that, another lovely pop up window telling me I've run out of credits. And these tracks are supposed to be 50 credits each.

So in short I've spend a tenner on 3/4 of an album, which I could have bought on cd a lot quicker for the same money.

So that doesn't work. And the only other music download service that doesn't use OD2 is i-tunes from apple. So I set about downloading the extra software you need, then try and download some music. Only to find out that the software only works in America.

Sorry if that was all a bit rambling, but it really annoys me how the record companies can see what a big market online downloads is, but rather than use it to make money, they let it cost them a lot of money and complain about it.

4. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Thanks for such a good review - made me think twice about it - yer I agree - downloadable content is where it is at (okay some people will still want to go into the shop to buy - fine) but I really want to be able to download music (legally) over the web. without any problems

Cheers again :smashin:

5. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    iTunes was initially available only in the US, but has since been released in the UK as well. It is also proving surprisingly popular, and is supposedly quite good (though I've never used it m'self). Meant to be especially handy for ye iPod owners.

Dunc

6. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    So Ive just tried ITunes and it still says its not possible to download (puchase) songs in the UK yet ... :(

7. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +375
    If you have a friend in the Us that will let you us etheir credit card or will buy you some iTunes store credits you can download them from the UK ... the simple criteria at the mo is that a US registered credit card is required ...

I think that negotiaiting the rights for each record company for each european country ... despite we're all one europe right ?? ... will take the time before the iTunes store is open in the UK/europe ... but AFAIK it is anticiapted for Q1 2004 ...

Jon