Question It's time to ditch Sky. What do I replace it with?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by space--coyote, Jul 9, 2015.

1. space--coyote

space--coyote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Every time Sky announce a price increase I think about ditching it but so far I've never got around to looking into it very far. Right now I have Sky+ HD, with the variety pack which is costing me £41.25 a month and I use BT for my fibre BB and phone.

I don't have a TV aerial, so if I go down the Freeview route, I'll have to get one installed.

Whatever I go with, I'll need to keep my wife happy with the documentary channels, preferably in HD.

I was looking at the BT Entertainment Plus package, with the HD extra bolt on. This will cost me £14 a month.

One thing I am unclear on is what's actually available on Freeview. BT says up to 80 channels, but a local check says 18 channels.

I have no preference for Freesat or Freeview, as long as I can bolt on the doc channels.

Any advice offered would be great.

2. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +963
    Location would help (postcode of shop, pub, church or business within 100m or so of your home to keep things anonymous). Or you can just use the 'detailed view' of http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/postcodechecker/ to get accurate predictions of reception at your address and which transmitter(s) it is from. In 'consumer view' it tells you how many channels and will list those with good, variable and no reception predicted.

A freesat(TM) PVR will re-use your existing dish and lnb connections so is the simplest/cheapest option for basic viewing and recording. <freetime> satellite receivers includes catchup features when connected to the internet via any ISP. http://www.freesat.co.uk/get-freesat/recommended/freesat-plus-with-freetime

I don't know about the PAY documentary channels you want, but they may be available via services like Netflix, Now TV, as well as BT or TalkTalk over the internet? NB All the pay services from BT, TT, Now and Netflix are delivered via the internet so a good reliable high-speed broadband service with no download limit will be essential.

3. space--coyote

space--coyote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Thanks for the link. I've double checked the results and it reports 18 SD channels and 6 HD channels on Freeview, with 'Good' reception. I'm surprised how low this is.

I have BT Infinity installed with a consistent 80Mb and unlimited download, so bandwidth isn't an issue, although I don't use the Homehub. I wonder if that would be a problem for BT TV.

The documentary channels do seem to be the stumbling block here, but I've been told if we're going to switch, it's a must.

4. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +963
    Detailed View will tell us which RELAY transmitter you are able to receive from with a suitable aerial. That is the basic PSB service of three multiplexes (2x SD and one HD)... Additional TV stations are only available from MAIN transmitters.

The detailed view will also give alternative transmitters that may be received (consumer view just gives the first - most likely - one in any list). Depending on the colours / numbers in the reception prediction it may be relatively easy or extremely unlikely that you can get more TV stations than the basic. {It all depends on where you live and the local terrain between you and the transmitters}. It may be worth a chat with your immediate neighbours to see if any are using Freeview (digital terrestrial) TV and what sort of aerial they have installed?

5. space--coyote

space--coyote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I must admit I'm not really sure what I'm looking at on the detailed view. It shows three transmitters in my area, all with the same channel 18/6 channels.

My post code is DE4 2FT and a local pub is The Grouse. You might be able to get more from the detailed view than I can :)

6. dawson001

dawson001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Just haggle a better Sky deal!

I pay £36.90 a month and get line rental, evening and weekend calls, unlimited broadband and Sky TV family bundle with 50 HD channels

7. space--coyote

space--coyote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    It might be the way to go.

8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,208
    You are one of the many freesat was designed for. TV reception in the Peak District is very difficult in the valleys. All the possible transmitters are so called Freeview-lite transmitters (Waltham relay transmiiters).

As already said a Freesat+ pvr is your best option as you already have a suitable dish.

Only a sky box and subscription will give you encrypted channels other than via a IP delivered system

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  9. space--coyote

space--coyote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I do like the idea of Freesat, especially with the option of ditching the Sky+ HD box. I can't find any way of getting the documentary channels with it.

I wish there was a TV aggregation service that sold out channels individually.

10. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +963
    As you are in the Derbyshire Peaks the three possible transmitters are all relays - so as far as Freeview is concerned it will be the basic PSB channels only... All three are green/green so any could be used (e.g. if one is obscured by a tree then the others may not be).

A simple log periodic will likely suffice to feed a single TV/receiver stb and I'd probably suggest trying Stanton Moor rather than the closer Darley Dale (which was the 1000th analogue TV transmitting site) as I think Darley Dale relays Stanton Moor's signals. You may even get away with one in the loft (assuming you have one with space)... or even a set top / room aerial if you are very lucky?? ATV`s Choice Of Aerials for digital TV

However for the best choice of TV services freesat/freetime would be better... a BT You View box doesn't need to be connected to an aerial (other than for ITV Player) Does YouView work without a digital signal? | Help | BT.com Help which a freesat/freetime box would provide anyway.

EDIT: A Now TV box may provide some Discovery channel stuff... but I can't readily find prices of the 'passes'... The boxes are dirt cheap I think. NOW TV Box | TV media player. Stream movies, tv and sports on your TV | NOW TV

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  11. space--coyote

space--coyote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Thanks for your time on this mate, it's really appreciated. I'm going to carry on researching, but it seems my options are:

Stay with Sky and renegotiate the package cost
    Go to Freesat and another box for the subscription stuff
    Persuade the missus to stop watching documentary crap :)

12. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,140
    She'll have to if you drop $ky won't she?