1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's the future of gaming! Honest!

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by John Jennings, Mar 14, 2002.

1. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Pah! Who needs an X-box or GameCube :clown:
    Check out the future of gaming

It doesn't mention the personal power station you'll need to run it, but if you've got that kind of money it shouldn't concern you ;)

Seriously though, I have heard rumblings that Sony are going to be bringing the PS3 release forward by about a year because of the X-box being significantly more powerful.. I guess that means it might be with us by about 2004?

2. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Pah! They've taken it down :(

3. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Grrrr :mad: More power, more power does not mean good games!!!!

Look at the past

Dreamcast - was made when Playstation killed off The Saturn and the PSone still out lives it even now.

Remeber the 3DO all those years ago? never took off. Neither did the Neo-Geo both more "powerful" than the competition at the time.

Take a look at the playstation, it took approx 4 years until games like FF VII + GT showed what was really possible from that little grey box

Its still early days. what is power without substance?

Paul

4. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yeah, I know. The gameboy's got some wicked games and I still think the N64 has got some of the best games ever for it.

However, it's a marketing tool. As a console manufacturere you need to be able to say that yours is the most powerful console available. The public seem to lap that up. Even places like Dixons are starting to put up comparison charts of the number of polys per second.

It's also damn annoying because the figures they put up arent comparable. The PS2 and X-box polys per second figures are for plain, untextured, un-lit polygons (ie wireframe graphics) when the console's doing nothing else (ie no sound playing, no controller input, no lighting, no textures, no AI routines etc etc), whereas the Gamecube figure is for actual typical in-game performance.

The whole idea of polygons per second is stupid anyway and is just done to make consoles look super-powerful. How many games do you know that run at one frame per second? They should divide that figure by 50 or 60 to get you polygons per frame .

These performance figures of millions and millions of polys per second are just nonsense. Currently, a good performance for PS2 is about 50,000 polygons per frame.

And don't even get me started on people trying to compare CPU power just by comparing MHz to MHz...

John

5. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ahhh that old chestnut

I had a friend who adamant his 1Ghz celeron running at 100Mhz FSB was far superior that my PIII 733Mhz running at 133Mhz FSB.

Even after explaing that his Celeron was a cut down PIII and running at a slower bus speed. Hi replay was simply "but mines a Gigahertz processor" :rolleyes:

Paul

6. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It's even more dramatic for the consoles. The X-box is effectively Pentium III based, whilst the GameCube is pretty much PowerPC based giving you far more whoomph per clock cycle...

Ahh, I remember years ago where my humble Amiga A500 with a clock speed of 7.14MHz gave effectively the same performance for games as an Intel based PC running at about 33Mhz. That soon shut up my mate with his 'super fast' PC :)