1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's probably been discussed before....

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by captaindobie, Jul 24, 2002.

1. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    but which DVD recording format will eventually win the war ?
    As a DVD recorder is the next logical step for most people wishing to upgrage from VHS are we any further forward with the great format debate ? Just seen a news review for a new DVD recorder combined with 40gb hard drive which is due to be lauched in the UK this autumn. Looks and sounds fantastic but is it worth buying or will it be obsolete in a year ? I think the player in question uses the DVD Ram format. What do you think ?.

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll do what I always do with new technology... wait patiently until the dust settles and let other people make the mistakes ;)

3. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol Same here Squirrel God ^_^ Plus this "Blue Laser" technology should be making its way pretty soon so its best to sit back with some popcorn and enjoy the tech fight.

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Oh....that'll be me then:eek:

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder... no doubt when it begins its attempt to penetrate the market we will be having the same discussion about it versus DVD as we are having about CD versus SACD versus DVD-Audio. ;) I think DVD has taken hold now and become like VHS. Superior formats won't shift it. You gonna buy all your DVDs again? I know I'm not! :)

What I'm really waiting for at the moment is the day when all DVD players kiss the layer change pause goodbye.;)

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let me know how you get on :p

7. Annatar

Annatar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will we see Blue Laser technology in the UK. FRom what I have read and seen, the UK is not going the way of High Definition TV, therefore will a HD player come out in the UK?:confused:

8. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The new DVD players thesedays support the HDCD format anyway but I'm sure you would need a suitable display. I'm just going to wait and see since new technology is always overpriced, so its time for me to get that DVD player and enjoy some prog.scan action as the dust settles on the format war.

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't HDCD for music? :confused:

I know almost nothing about HDCD so I emailed Sony UK a while back to ask them if my Sony mini-hifi would play HDCDs. They told me,

"Sony United Kingdom Limited were never involved to the product of HDCD discs and have not designed any of our products to support this format. Therefore Sony cannot guarantee that this format will or will not play in our machines as they have not been tested or designed this way."

Hilarious or what? :D

10. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could be right about that actually Squirrel God, but I'm sure I've heard of the term before... I know that the new mid-range NAD DVD player will support it anyway. I know theres a High Definition CD/DVD for video but its not popular over here for obvious reasons. The main market is the USA since HDTVs over there are easy to obtain.

11. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you mean Super Video CD? (has a better spec than standard VCD)

12. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    HDCD stands for High Definition Compatible Digital (because Compact Disc is copyrighted by Sony and Philips) is a standard developed by (I think) Ocean Micronics, who are now owned by Microsoft. It's just higher resolution for CDs, and the standard is backwardly compatible (i.e. if your DVD/CD player doesn't have HDCD enabled DACs it will just see it as a normal CD). What most people don't realise with DVD players and HDCD is that you have to use the analog audio outputs to make use of it - unless you own a TAGAV32R with HDCD enabled, as I think that's the only processor/amp that will pick up the extra bits from the bitstream.

As for CDs that support it, it's a bit hit and miss really: some CDs show the HDCD lable on the case (e.g. the recently remastered Mike Oldfield back catalog), and some don't. Many remasters of old classics (e.g. Miles Davis' A Kind of Blue or Dave Brubeck's Time Out) are HDCD enabled. A decoder will automatically pick up the HDCD flag, if it can support it.

13. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Squirrel God, hehe I do know what SVCDs are ^_^ I was on about a diff. format and T-Force pretty much cleared it up. Although I'm sure there was a video format of the same technology somewhere... Its hardly popular though.

14. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, was my shot in the dark ;)

I have read somewhere that Microsoft might start using HDCDs to distribute software, so perhaps it's something to do with them using it for distributing media files or multimedia HDCD-ROMs too.... Anyhow, there's so many formats out there right now and which are coming out, that it's becoming a bit of a minefield!

15. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    It's all pretty annoying when you know the tech is there, ala Blue Laser, but as ever 'they' won't dish it out but in dribs and drabs like cpu's etc. One of Blue laser's biggest problems will be Hollywood pressuring to slow/stop it coming any time too soon as it did with dvd and others due to its money grabbing copyright concerns - love those guys. I remember seeing a working prototype of blue and it was said to have backwards internals - another laser I think, memory slips! - to support current dvds.
    The prices for contemporary dvd recorders are going the right way but capacity is something that's always gonna be the problem, unless they can magicly think of a new algorythm or layer technique like some Eastern countries have been trying - still player restrictive though. Philips being the pusher price-wise and are no doubt trying to address the off-putting 2hr decentish quality limit with the new units with 2.5 to allay the criticisms for what about films over 2hrs - but of course the more recent trends for films over this...

16. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I second that! It just gives us more to read and to decipher. Fun fun.

Encaser, I agree as well. Most of us know that CPU technology has been held back intentiionally to milk sales. Look at the PIII for example. I'm sure they have a beta Pentium V there but for now simple increases in Mhz speed to the P4 is enough to milk the market. Its nice though to see the advances in RAM, esp. DDRII.

Blue laser has been around all right and Encaser has hit the nail on the head. Hollywood is the only obstacle between us and the new technology but the fact is that any sort of protection can be cracked. Look at how well the region code on DVDs have stood the test ^_^

Ah well. All we can do though is wait... Unless you've got £££££ to throw around that is. I know I certainly haven't >_<

17. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Thanks for the validation NeoBlade - blimey, it's gone all Ricky Lake :eek:
    Just shows how desperate the situation is getting for things with recorders; with the new models killing the old so quickly and denting prices big style - Pana £450, Philipsr1000 £300. The wierd player is Pioneer as yet with its @ £1000 machine. Nice that for once the public will benefit in lower costs. Still, I'd hope people stay away enough to 'force' one of the big boys to go sod it and ship some blues as the licencing is there - Philips did it with dvd+r -...dream...