It's official, there will be a worldwide november release.

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by delacroix_89, Mar 15, 2006.

1. delacroix_89

delacroix_89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    [UPDATE] Sony confirms delay for next-gen console, says it will support an Xbox Live-like online gaming service; console will require a 60GB Linux HDD--but will it be sold separately?
    TOKYO--Today at the 2006 PlayStation Business Briefing in Tokyo, Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutagari made it official--the PlayStation 3 has been delayed. The news confirmed widely circulated Japanese newspaper reports, which said that the delay was due to copyright-protection problems with the next-generation console's Blu-ray drive. For his part, Kutaragi would only say the delay was due to "Blu-ray spec finalization."

Kutaragi told the crowd at the event that the PS3 would now launch in November 2006 worldwide. That dispelled fears that the console would make it to Japan in time by the fall, but would miss the all-important holiday shopping season in the US and Europe. In fact, Kutaragi explicitly told the crowd of game retailers and journalists present that the PS3 would arrive before Thanksgiving in all territories.

Besides the delay, Kutaragi also made official another widely reported aspect of the PS3. He said that Sony is indeed preparing an Xbox Live-like online gaming service for the console, which would be called the "PlayStation Network Platform." Though he was short on specifics, the executive did say that currently Sony planned the service to be "free."

While the simultaneous tri-territory PS3 scheme may sound much like Microsoft's international launch of the Xbox 360, Sony plans to avoid the shortages that befell its competitor. Kutaragi said that the company plans on producing at least one million units of the console each month in order to keep the supply channel full. He said the goal was to ship 6 million PS3s worldwide by March 2007.

[UPDATE] The SCE president also told the crowd that the PS3 would use a 60GB 2.5" hard disc drive (HDD). A slide show during the presentation said the HDD would will be loaded with the Linux operating system versus Microsoft's Windows OS. The show also said it could be used as a "home server" and be directly connected to the Internet, and be full "upgradeable."

Kutaragi also made it clear that the hard drive will be necessary to play games--Sony is telling developers to make games assuming every PS3 has a hard drive installed. "We view the Hard Drive to be mandatory for the PS3," he said. "Rather than have developers create games for the PS3 with or without the HDD, we will be asking them to develop games as though all PS3s have the HDD installed."

However, Kutaragi revealed that Sony had not decided whether or not the PlayStation 3 would come with the hard-drive pre-installed. "We might end up installing it in all PS3s, though that depends on the market," he said. This raises the possibility that the PS3 could be sold without a piece of hardware needed to play PS3 games--in effect forcing consumers to buy a peripheral for basic functionality.

Kutaragi also said that PS3 games would be released only on Blu-ray discs, as DVDs have become too easy for software pirates to duplicate. The high-capacity format is capable of storing around 50GB on a single disc. Sony reps confirmed the PS3 will still play DVDs and CDs, as well as PS2 and PSone discs, as previously announced.

Taken from Gamespot today.

I'm taking this as good news. We all knew it was gonna be delayed, but i expected a 2007 european release, so a nov 2006 worldwide release suit's me.

2. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    just in time for christmas, great marketing ploy:cool:

3. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    :rotfl:

Bloody hell, i thought he would announce news like that on April the 1st!

4. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    if there is going to be same service like xbox360 live on PS3 then it is going to be intersting. :)

5. WelshBluebird

WelshBluebird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    how many of these threads to we need! lol.
    It was inevitable really, although it doesn't affect europe too much, because we probably would have got it near november even if it had lauched in japan in spring.
    Glad their doing a worldwide though, just hope its not another 360 fiasco!

6. delacroix_89

delacroix_89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Yeah, sorry about that, i've only just noticed that this has already been posted in the official launch information thread.

EDIT: and in a couple of dedicated threads :oops:

7. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Just remeber."Its only a game";)

8. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    I will quite happily wait until easter 07 for one if there is a shortage. I would most likely have the revolution by then as well, so no skin off my nose really.

9. Eddy.

Eddy.
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Has there been any news on a Revolution release date?

I'm looking forward to it personally. I'll get it as a second console to go with my PS3. :)

10. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Not that I've heard of so far, it will surely come at some point this year. Here's hoping for a Revo worldwide launch too!

11. norealplan

norealplan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +733
    Nintendo said they would aim for a worldwide launch if they were able to make enough in time. I still wouldn't put it past sony for them to delay the europe launch if they can't make enough.

12. m1ket

m1ket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    well depends how you look at it, worldwide launch 1 million ps3 produced per months leave little over 330,000 a month for the whole of europe, if they split equally between japan,us and europe which wont be the case

get your pre order in very, very early

there will eb a lot of people looking to buy a ps3 and looking for alternatives when they see there will be none until 2007