It's official: Philips 32pf9830 BEST flatscreen!!

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by Mausse, Oct 18, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Mausse

Mausse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By the mag:What Hi-FI awards for best LCD/PLASMA TV! 2005 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

edit: Not 37' but the 32inch model has won, thanks to :smashin: marinecommando :smashin: for the info, should be getting a scan soon :clap:

Greets mausse

2. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    I thought the Panasonic 500 would have won it to be honest or the loewe concept L32.

3. knobbs

knobbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi i think the sharp pe50 series is the best lcd around for watching tv now.
    best pic ive ever seen, as for hi def stuff, wel have to wait and see.
    i can watch the sharp panel from abt 4ft away and the pics still good, move to 7-8ft and its dvd like.
    footys brilliant no motion blur or pitch smearing. ive had a few lcds, phillips, lg, and they dont get anywhere near the sharp.

4. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,059
    are you sure that wasn't the award for largest 37" LCD? ;P

5. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Arent 37" LCDs all the same size?

6. mkoehler

mkoehler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in the 37PF9830 thraed appeared a post saying the same. Great!!! I have a 32PF9830! But mausse: Can you post some details? Thanx!

7. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    I think he might've been referring to the huge bezel Philips have on their 37" LCDs.

I was considering a 37" screen, with the Philips as my main choice, but it's simply too wide to fit between my speakers, whereas any other 37" screen was fine.

8. chambeaj

chambeaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    You obviously have not seen a properly set up 9830 then!

The competition should weep!

9. joing

joing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mausse, can you or anyone else on this forum post further details of the review? I am looking to get the 37pf9830 in the next couple of days but wanted to check a professional opinion first (although I'm sure it will get rave reviews!).

Is the magazine on sale yet?

10. marinecommando

marinecommando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Actually th 37'' wasn't reviewed at al in the What Hi Fi awards - it was the 32PF9830 that won the award

11. joing

joing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, that makes sense. I have seen this magazine already then.

I thought I read in one magazine that the 37" was going to be reviewed in an issue that comes out on the 20th Oct, but I cant remember which one. I think its a group 37" LCD test.

I might wait for this before I buy one then.

12. asitis

asitis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    32PF9830 -- £1880 for a 32 " TV ! ! ! Bit expensive.

13. mkoehler

mkoehler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I for instance have the "little one", the 32PF9830, my parents the bigger one 37PF9830. We live in same house. Picture quality of the two are almost identical. That means simply brilliant!! When the 32 deserves its reward, and I'm sure it does, then the 37 is destined to deserve it as well!

14. chambeaj

chambeaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Its a dead cert the 37PF9830 will win the awards for the best 37".

Excellant value for money as well when you consider its performance, features and technical specifications.

15. Giblets2

Giblets2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    I don't know if anyone here's realised but the 37" 9830 has a few extras, namely over a million extra pixels as it's a full HD (1920x1080) panel! That sounds like the best 37" to me hands down, but then I've not seen one yet. Anyone seen the 42" version in the flesh yet?

16. RAD10

RAD10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Precisely bcos of the extra pixels and pixel plus 2 it has also been criticised for having an almost unreal and sharp image!!
    Having said all that I am considering buying this tv as well!! Cannot decide between thisone and the 42". will go for 37" i think

17. J.Glen

J.Glen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsdow :thumbsdow I agree.I don't know what philips is thinking with their pricing policy but it is insane to be honest.You can say that the quality of their models is great but still i don't think that these prices are justified.

I was thinkg of getting a 32"" 9986 and the best price that i found for it,here in Greece, was 3000 euros and that's for a model that didn't have the connectivity options i wanted.I said "**** it" and settled for a Hitachi 7200(for 1940 euros).

The 32"" 99830 has a cost of over 3500 euros??!!!???It will probably be really close to 4000 in my country and that's insane for a 32"" TV that wants to be ,somewhat,mainstream.

Oh well ,more power to the people who can afford to pay these prices for 32" models,I wish i was that rich....(but then again the standards of living is much higher in the U.K :( :( )

18. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,178
    I am going to be purchasing a new tv (LCD) in time for the xbox 360 and was quite keen to see how the new Phillips (32" and 37") turned out.

As it turns out, they are now SO much more expensive than many other fine models that I have practically ruled them out of the equasion.

19. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Why do people assume that one 32" display is the same as another and hence should be price the same? Thats like saying that a pair of Boots sunglasses are the same as a pair of Oakleys.

20. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do people still wear Oakleys ? ;):D

21. J.Glen

J.Glen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this what you understood from this thread???? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

We're just saying that these models ,that are supposed to be mainstream,are too expensive.I don't know but i somehow doubt that the 9830 would give me double the performance of my Hitachi 7200.(or the panasonic 500,another fantastic tv reasonably priced)

22. mkoehler

mkoehler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, here in Switzerland I bought my 32PF9830 for 3000 Swiss Franks, thats about 2000€! Thats still quite expansive, but features like ambilight, the twin tuner, motorized swivel stand and so on are not for free. The Panasonic Plasmas don't even have a table stand encluded!

23. J.Glen

J.Glen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: :eek: :eek: 2000 euros???!!?????Wow,that's about half the price of what that tv cost in my country!!!I think that i've read somewhere that the philips models are much cheaper in the Netherlands(for obvious reasons) but i didn't know they were that cheap in other countries.

That's strange because just about every other LCD cost ,here,pretty much what it costs in the other European coubntries.I guess philips is.....unique :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

24. baltar

baltar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am from Holland. At the moment the Pf9830 is available for 2500 euros on internet.

In shops it is priced at around 3100 euro if you ask for a discount (otherwise it is 3499).

25. daxie

daxie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In belgium in shops around 3000-3100... as baltar said.
    Online a bit less.

For the 32"!

For the 37" More around 3500

26. J.Glen

J.Glen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would never buy something that expensive from the internet,but that's just me.

The shop prices seem logical,if it costs 3500 euros in Holland then it is logical to cost 3700-3800 in Greece.How did this guy bought it for 2000 euros??? :eek: :eek:

27. denis1501

denis1501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Here in Italy the best price on the net is 2599 euros
    regards
    Denis.

28. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I also picked up this response from other threads too, but I just chose to air my thoughts here.

I think that if you look at a number of manufacturers, Philips, Sharp, Loewe, Sony etc, they have a number of similar models pitched at different price points. I haven't looked at the Hitachi range since 18months ago with the 32PD52/5300. It was a similar thing but not quite the same with them too - the difference between the two was internal and external electronics.

So I do not think that it is fair to compare the Hitachi 7200 against the Philips 'premium' range 9830, but you obviously do understand that there are some differences, but not 'double'. But the differences can be significant and possibly not noticed just by comparing feature lists.

Take the Philips 32" 9986 launched 18 months ago at £3000. At the end of its life it was probably commanding around £2000. Now the 9830 is out, quite possibly a better display, and people are complaining about about it being priced at £1800. Maybe the next model down should be considered the more mainstream item. But I guess it depends what people consider mainstream, and everyone will have their own price point.

It is for exactly for the same reasons why BMW, Mercedes can produce a family car when Ford can do it for a fraction of the price, or in my example which relates to the quality of the optics, say that Oakley do a pair of sunglasses for £100 when Boots do a pair for £10. They both work, but you can tell the subtle differences between the two and visually witness the extra quality that the Oakleys provide. But its 10 times the price yet not even double the performance, but people still go for the more expensive item.

The biggest two mistakes that people make are comparing numbers/features and thinking that magazine reviews when awarding a 5 Star to a £1000 display think that it is better than a 4 star rated display costing £2000.

Now, thats all off my chest...

29. mkoehler

mkoehler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was not just an online retailer. It rather was a normal hifi shop with an online retailer incorporated. When you go in the shop its a bit more expensive, when you buy online you get the discount.
    In general, Switzerland is very expensive. But some product groups are more economically than in Germany for instance. :D

30. marinecommando

marinecommando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Has anyone posting on here other than me actually read the awards issue? The 32pf9830 won product of the year and by default the 32'' catergory, but the 37'' plasma from panasonic took the honours in that size catergory.

Its far from clear which is the best 37'' TV to buy.........