Its Official 3 New Channels for freesat

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent, why pay?
To get content that cannot legally be obtained free.

A couple of weeks ago I did an analysis of the recordings I had made (very rarely watch live TV) over 2 weeks - it broke down as follows 50% subsccription UK channels ( a mixture of Sport, Movies, Documentary and Entertainment), 35% free UK channels (Freeview and satellite) and 15% from other satellites (moxtly concerts and sports) with occasional live viewing from IPTV. I at present am using one Freeview HD+ PVR, 2 Sky HD+ PVRs, one FTA multisatellite PVR and one PVR that can tune satellite, DTT and IPTV. I watch quite a lot of TV having been house bound nearly 24/7 for 12 of the last 13 years as a full time carer and am now partially house bound.

Last edited:
The disappointment with the UKTV announcement is that Dave won't be appearing on Freesat. I don't understand the rationale for that, unless it's down to capacity or pressure from Sky. Pity.

Clem

I emailed UKTV about the lack of Dave on Freesat. Their email stated that they have no plans to transmit Dave on the platform, but didn't explain why. Bummer!

Clem

The question is rather the other way around - why are the three going free?

All clearing BTW

The question is rather the other way around - why are the three going free?

Financial, being on Sky's pay platform v Freesat or FTA. Sky have a lot of channels under it's wing under 'deals' which bump their channel numbers up & reduce the total number of available free channels so you have to pay Sky for what would have been free channels.

But going free to air increases viewing figures so there are more to see the adverts too that pay for free channels.

In that case, why not have all of the UKTV channels FTA? This decision is a little odd, as if they've pushed-out the least well performing channels in their portfolio. Also odd as why there's no 'synchronisation' with the Freeview channel list, for Dave. Still, I suppose three new channels are better than none, and with TalkingPicturesTV supposedly ending-up on Freesat early next year it's not bad news overall, just a little disappointing.

Clem

But going free to air increases viewing figures so there are more to see the adverts too that pay for free channels.
But hardly a significant increase when they are already available on another platform that probably has between 15 and 20 times the number of possible new viewers.

But hardly a significant increase when they are already available on another platform that probably has between 15 and 20 times the number of possible new viewers.

what are the figures

Dave I only dispute the word new. Are you sure?

Last edited by a moderator:
what are the figures
Freeview households in 2014 18 million (OFCOM press release on number needing to retune), freesat 1.5 million so my guess is probably out and should be 12 to 15 times.

Dave I only dispute the word new. Are you sure?
That is assuming none of the around 1.5 million freesat households do not also have and use Freeview.

Freeview households in 2014 18 million (OFCOM press release on number needing to retune), freesat 1.5 million so my guess is probably out and should be 12 to 15 times.

Guess/ Probably?

Out of that 18 million ... how many are Sky subscribers or ex sky subscribers using old sky boxes or old boxes sold on. How many not on the register via newer licence checks at purchase, how many freesat + non freesat [fta] in the UK / how many outside the UK inc ex pats & others in Europe etc..

If you have a satellite box people tend to use that over Freeview even if there are a few channels that are not on satellite, unless it has a DVB-T/2 tuner too.

Behind Sky's pay firewall some channels may be on a deal from sky but their channels are a small fish with so many other's plus they are up against the premium channels people pay for so their rank is pushed much lower, on freesat & the free to air platform, that ranking jumps from being such a small fish plus Sky customers can still receive them.

From advertiser's perspectives that can quickly look much more attractive, and you know what happens then ...

Last edited:
Out of that 18 million ... how many are Sky subscribers or ex sky subscribers using old sky boxes or old boxes sold on. How many not on the register via newer licence checks at purchase, how many freesat + non freesat [fta] in the UK / how many outside the UK inc ex pats & others in Europe etc..
AFAIK there are no official figures for any of those only guesstimates and limited market research

If you have a satellite box people tend to use that over Freeview even if there are a few channels that are not on satellite, unless it has a DVB-T/2 tuner too.
That is the opposite of my observations amongst friends and relatives particularly those with families older than toddlers. Most do not have satellite multiroom (Sky or freesat) and whilst parents are "hogging" the satellite box (sometimes just dad) thekids (and sometimes mum) are watching Freeview in other rooms and also when three required programmes are on at the same time (happens often at prime time) two shows are recorded and a third watched on Freeview.

Last edited:
Thats 26m DTT users and 1.9m Freesat. 1.0m of them being Freetime which has taken the Freesat platform by storm and now has 50% of box market share.

Freesat doubles number of Freetime customers » Digital TV Europe
I would dispute your figures there, According to the ONS there were only 26.7 million households (with 18 million families) at the end of 2014 and are your figures on freesat not based on sales of units (with many now being purchased as replacements, second boxes and use outside the UK - Ireland as well as the rest of Europe. Advertisers are only interested in UK household numbers.

It's been nearly a year since uktv joined freesat. Is there anyone know what freesat are going to give this Christmas:) this is a regular thing they like to launch new channels near Christmas time [emoji319][emoji319][emoji319]

Don't hold your breath this year. There's been no noise about anything new that I can recall. DigitalSpy may have something, but I certainly haven't seen anything about new channels lately.

Clem

Hi Clem. I do hope something happens they usually wait till end of November so only few weeks. I'll start the ball rolling asking for DAVE channel [emoji319][emoji319][emoji319][emoji319][emoji319][emoji319][emoji319]

Well, Dave would be nice, but in HD, along with More4HD, and ITV2-4HD, not forgetting Film4HD and E4HD. However, I suspect that I have more chance of contracting anthrax than any of that happening, certainly in the near future ... :laugh:

Clem

Maybe there keeps us waiting another year cos
When Dave dose join freesat and it will on day they. What will we moan about cos it must be the most requested channel on FREESAT I bet. ......

If I had to pick one channel, for me it would be More4HD. There seems to be a move by Channel4 to move some of their 'better' stuff to More4. However, having to watch More4 in blurrovision, because it's not in HD is a bit of a turn off.

Clem

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom