Its not leather!

MrFraggle

In Memoriam
Reaction score
Bought a jacket that is advertised as being made of leather obviously the price should have been a clue but I have never bought from Ireland before and thought perhaps stuff might be cheaper.
Jacket duly arrived with a lable stitched inside telling me it is 100% PU which is Polyurethane fabric, PU fabric, is fabric coated in a polymer that gives it the appearance of leather.
Nothing particularly wrong with the jacket, fits well and looks good and one part of me is saying just let it go and enjoy the jacket, another part is telling me that this was/is blatant misrepresentation as to the jackets material.
I could of course return it for free and get my money back but they would still be advertising something that is not made of what the company says it is and that annoys me.

What are the forums views?

Do you have a link to the item? That way it's easier to give an opinion on how the item was advertised.
Click on the red leather word at the top. :)

Its a little decieving, it should really say leather like or leather imitation PU material, but christ, you're taking on a mind feild with stuff like that, half the retailers on the internet are the same.

Just ask them to change it, and see if they do.

I cant remember which way round this was, as I dont buy new leather for ethical/moral reasons, but I believe 'Real Leather' is a trademark, and it denotes, basically fake leather, so you have to look out for the 'genuine leather' tag for it to be actual real leather.

I’d be a bit annoyed. It says leather about 5-6 times and only mentions PU once… even if you know what leather PU is which I’m guessing a lot of people wouldn’t. I’d complain or return it.

I’ve noticed even if I specify a search on genuine leather I still get PU stuff coming up on some sites. Very irritating but I’ve learned to check.

I cant remember which way round this was, as I dont buy new leather for ethical/moral reasons, but I believe 'Real Leather' is a trademark, and it denotes, basically fake leather, so you have to look out for the 'genuine leather' tag for it to be actual real leather.
Although 'genuine leather' does not mean 'good' leather, and can mean very low grade leather indeed:

Leather really does raise some ethical questions.

Whereas I am against leather products, they do provide something that could still exist 20-30 years from now, when a plastic fake leather, will probably last a year or two then end up in landfill or the ocean.

Sadly, even though leather has a longevity, the way that the fast fashion market has gripped the globe, its unlikely for many that they keep clothes they bought last year for a long period of time.

Sadly, even though leather has a longevity, the way that the fast fashion market has gripped the globe, its unlikely for many that they keep clothes they bought last year for a long period of time.
…but likely to be sold on or donated to charity meaning will still be used for some years, particularly if something like a decent genuine leather jacket.

I'm just trying to picture you wearing it.. :)

I used to work in the sports industry, and a lot of the companies there now make a point of using ‘vegan leather’ to highlight how worthy they are. When, in fact, it’s just the same PU they‘ve used on their cheaper footwear for years. In some cases they’re charging more for the vegan product than they did for the genuine leather ones.

It might be worth contacting the ASA ( Home ). The advert is very misleading, and could be in breach of advertising regulations.

Back when I can't believe it's not butter!" came out there was a slight kerfuffle as the name contained butter ( I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S NOT BUTTER – Marketing Week ). As it wasn't butter (and although the name freely admitted this), there was a question regarding the actual legality of the name containing the word butter. Although this was eventually sorted and my legitimise the jacket labelling itself leather, the fact that the jacket is trying to claim that it's leather is the major difference. If it was called "I can't believe it's not leather" would be OK, but stating leather is obviously wrong.

It might be worth contacting the ASA ( Home ). The advert is very misleading, and could be in breach of advertising regulations.

Back when I can't believe it's not butter!" came out there was a slight kerfuffle as the name contained butter ( I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S NOT BUTTER – Marketing Week ). As it wasn't butter (and although the name freely admitted this), there was a question regarding the actual legality of the name containing the word butter. Although this was eventually sorted and my legitimise the jacket labelling itself leather, the fact that the jacket is trying to claim that it's leather is the major difference. If it was called "I can't believe it's not leather" would be OK, but stating leather is obviously wrong.
Decided that this was useful.

I'm pretty certain that the ad is meeting standards. Look at car ads which feature 'leather' seats which if you read the small print aren't leather. A product can't be called genuine leather but can be called leather if if PU as long as claifiedi I think. Though how the average person is supposed to know this, who knows.

Last edited:
Bought a jacket that is advertised as being made of leather obviously the price should have been a clue but I have never bought from Ireland before and thought perhaps stuff might be cheaper.
Jacket duly arrived with a lable stitched inside telling me it is 100% PU which is Polyurethane fabric, PU fabric, is fabric coated in a polymer that gives it the appearance of leather.
Nothing particularly wrong with the jacket, fits well and looks good and one part of me is saying just let it go and enjoy the jacket, another part is telling me that this was/is blatant misrepresentation as to the jackets material.
I could of course return it for free and get my money back but they would still be advertising something that is not made of what the company says it is and that annoys me.

What are the forums views?
One of my bug bears is that over the years Amazon and ebay have allowed descriptions to say that something is 'faux leather' which means that if you are searching for something that you want to specificy that you want leather, you simply get a whole load of search results coming up which are faux leather. It shouldnt be allowed
Its a complete misrepresentation.

One of my bug bears is that over the years Amazon and ebay have allowed descriptions to say that something is 'faux leather' which means that if you are searching for something that you want to specificy that you want leather, you simply get a whole load of search results coming up which are faux leather. It shouldnt be allowed
I don't think it matters what you search for using Google as Amazon allways seems to be top of the results and often clickng the link takes you to the Amazon site but not what you are actually lookng for.

How can that be a misrepresentation? It's not real leather and it says so. Seems OK to me.

Many people are looking for just that: imitation leather is popular and it's perfectly legitimate to describe it as such. If you put 'leather' into a search box you'll get anything with 'leather' in the description; which is what you'd expect. What alternative terminology do you suggest for describing something which looks like leather but isn't?

If it means that much to you, why not search for 'real leather'?

It's always better for a search engine to return too much than too little.

Margerine is a molocule away from being a plastic..

'I cant believe its not plastic' may not work as well on the label.

Margerine is a molocule away from being a plastic..

'I cant believe its not plastic' may not work as well on the label.

one of the reasons i seldom eat sandwiches when out, as the taste of margarine is simply horrendous :(

I do love the write up for the jacket...

"The weekend is here. Mr Fraggle’s ready to let loose and enjoy himself, without compromising on style or quality.

The vintage Anarchy leather jacket is ideal for hiking, biking and casual days
around the house.
Designed with the smallest of details in mind, this piece features a
reliable zip fastening, a fashionable ribbed cuff and stylish and quilted shoulder
panels, embodying the rugged charm of traditional, leather biker jackets.

Mr Fraggle is complemented by the worn-in vintage aesthetic. The removable hood adds a convenient, modern day twist, so Mr Fraggle’s weekends are only as versatile and
action-packed as he dares"

.... casual days around the house??? who wears a jacket round the house?!

I'll get me (faux leather PU vegan) coat! :D

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom