It's not all Nintendoom - article discussion

always been a big nintendo fan since the nes, nintendos problem now is relevance, the new super mario which got excellent scores across the board could not entice players over the the wii u, i just dont think gamers are that bothered with them anymore. had they released a system that could keep up with ps4/xb1 im sure things would be a different story.
People try to play down that resolution or graphical power doesnt matter but it does, more now than ever, if nintendo released more powerful hardware that could run all the big 3rd party (next gen) im sure this wouldnt even be an issue. Nintendo always innovate and make fantastic quality games im just not sure anybody cares anymore...they should go multi plat, they would sell heaps.

For me the WiiU is overpriced for what it is. I'll be getting one, but only once it hits £150 or less.

I've had a Wii U since launch and, although it's had its ups and downs, I've managed to get a lot out of it. For me the Xbox 1 and PS4 don't offer enough new experiences to take the plunge, they look nice, but gameplay-wise it's just the same dull shooters, sports and racing games being released as I had on the 360 and PS4. I'm sure that'll change, and I'll probably pick up a PS4 in a few years time when they're a bit cheaper and have a couple of big RPGs or interesting new IPs to play through. For now I'm happy to stick to Mario, Monster Hunter and Pikmin.

I've had a Wii U since launch and, although it's had its ups and downs, I've managed to get a lot out of it. For me the Xbox 1 and PS4 don't offer enough new experiences to take the plunge, they look nice, but gameplay-wise it's just the same dull shooters, sports and racing games being released as I had on the 360 and PS4. I'm sure that'll change, and I'll probably pick up a PS4 in a few years time when they're a bit cheaper and have a couple of big RPGs or interesting new IPs to play through. For now I'm happy to stick to Mario, Monster Hunter and Pikmin.
thats very true, i do miss some of the nintendo games and their innovative gameplay, i must admit im sick of shooters...

The problem with the Wii U is, of the millions of Wii's that were bought, a significant number of them lie gathering dust. Most of them were bought by people/families that were non, or very casual gamers, so once the novelty wore off, the console became nothing more than an expensive ornament. Hardcore gamers weren't rushing out to by a Wii. Those non/casual gamers have now moved on to Tablet/Smartphone gaming, and have no intention of buying a Wii U when their Wii just sits gathering dust.

Personally, I'd love to own a Wii U just to play the Mario and Luigi games, but like Kav, I wouldn't be willing to pay over £150 for one that comes with at least 1 of the Mario games. I'd also have to buy one of the traditional controllers, as I don't like that clunky Gamepad.

Ive barely touched mine over the past 6 months. I've had some fun with Rayman Legends and Mario 3D but besides that ive just not been interested in it. Saying that though i have owned a ps4 for a few weeks now and barely played on that. Only really have time for one platform these days and that will always be my pc.

I was considering a PS4 but over christmas took the punt on the wii u to see me through until the PS4 stock levels out and some games I'm interested in are released. So far I'm really enjoying it, my mains go to games at the moment are Mario 3D world, rayman legends and lego city undercover. All 3 are a bit quirky but rayman and lego city use the game pad really effectively. Annoyinlgly it's in a similar place to the xbox now is with kinect, adding both as mandatory has bumped the price up and so far on both counts we are yet to see much truly impressive innovation using them, but if it was an optional extra (like kinect on the 360 was) there was even less use as you couldn't guarantee everyone would have one and it limited the appeal of paying more to include the features in to games).

Right now I'd say nintendos biggest problems with the wii u itself is more their own mistakes. It's a different console but the name, styling and advertising makes it look like a £200 wii add on, even with the the box in front of her my mum who has an old wii thought I'd just blown £200 on a fancy tablet controller for my wii. Their eshop is a joke, they are finally admitting that maybe content should be account tied which is progress but their games are extortionate, games that can be had for £30 in shops on a disc are still £49.99 on the eshop, they have the rare promotion but first party titles don't seem to budge in price. The virtual console items could also benefit from working on the wii u and 3DS, one price gets you their legacy games on both. With the 3DS finally doing well they really need to use that presence and leverage it in to making 3DS owner want the wii u, give them a reason to own both or give them a demo level of games like mario 3D world to play to wet their appetite for it.

Net time I'd love to see nintendo integrate their systems much better, for years they have dabbled in connecting handhelds to the big screen, from the original pokemon plugging in to an N64 expansion and the GBA link cables on zelda four swords on the gamecube they've never quite managed to get their systems working together in a way people can use, but with wifi and bluetooth now being fairly ubiquitous it's the time they should really be pushing this link forward and using it in a much better way than ever before but they seem to be more separate now than they ever were. Maybe next time it will be a new DS with something like an airplay receiver, or a separate home game console that can take DS carts and ramp the rendering up to 1080p and use the next DS as it's controller. Then again this is nintendo, as long as it's got mario and zelda someone will buy it

Traded in my Wii U .. ages back... Sorry Nintendo but u was to early out with the Wii U

I'm actually still loving my Wii U mainly 'cos Nintendo games bring something to the table the other consoles don't and that is pure unadulterated fun - sure, my PS4 has been played more recently than my Wii U but that's simply 'cos it's a new toy and I do like my online Cod fix (even if it frustrates me at times). I still dabble with Super Mario 3D World, Nintendo land and the super fast internet browser.

I know there will be some cracking games on the PS4 eventually (games that make me go 'wow') but my point being is, my Wii U and PS4 both compliment each other very much.

Having said that, when Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, X, Hyrule Zelda arrive etc, my PS4 may gather dust unless there's a 'go to game' for me to play on that as well.

Last edited:
I'm still really enjoying the Wii U and play on it regularly. I'm currently playing MH3U, which is a fantastic game and whilst I like playing it on the 3DS, I just find the game more fun on the big screen. There has already been a list of great games I've enjoyed on it and I only see that list building.

For me...

Lego City Undercover
Rayman Legends
Zelda Windwaker
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Lego Marvel
Super Mario 3D World
Wii Sports Club
Bit Trip Runner 2
Mighty Switch Force 2
Super Mario Bros U
Sonic The Lost World

Have all been great. Really looking forward to...

Donkey Kong Country :TF
MK8
Hyrule Warriors
Bayonetta 2
The 90's arcade racer
Super smash bros
Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem
X (the new monolith game)
Yarn Yoshi

Some potential classics there. :)

I would absolutely love it if Nintendo concentrated on doing what nobody else at the moment seems to....and that's to give us a few high quality (Cel-shaded) JRPGs.

They've already got decent ties with Level 5 and it might even sell a few systems.

I'd deffo buy a Wii U if even for only one AAA JRPG.

I was surprised we haven't already got a game from the Tales series, seeing as how the 3DS port of Tales of the Abyss smashed Namco's expectations. The Symphonia Chronicles pack should be heading for Wii U as well as the PS3.

But yeah, more RPGs would be welcome. A port of the DS version of Ni no Kuni for a start. A sequel to Last Story would be nice too.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom