Its my bday - £700 to spend on home cinema -help needed

diceman

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi all :hiya:

I am new to this forum so apologies if my post is in the wrong place etc.

It's my bithday and I want a new home cinema sound system as a special gift to myself.

I have a DLP projector and a 6 foot screen in place and have recently sold my very old pro-logic system and speakers.

I have approx £700-£800 to spend so was thinking about the Onkyo HT-S990THX.

I was really looking for help on this one - is there another option I should be looking at?

I also wonder if the center speaker in the Onkyo HT-S990THX can be stood upright as opposed to laying horizontaly?

Where would be the best place to buy the Onkyo HT-S990THX if it is the best system for my budget?

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer.

Brad

that system,is getting some good reviews,but,it wont do HD audio at all,as it has no hdmi inputs,so you will be limited to optical,and standard DD,and DTS.
with that much money,you might want to check out the onkyo forums/Seperates forums,and have a look at either the onkyo 605/606,or indeed any other receiver,and a seperate set of speakers. - this will guarantee you HD audio(as long as they can do pcm/HD audio over hdmi),and with a blu-ray player/games console,etc..it would sound amazing,and look the part too,with a large DLP PJ.

or if you are still set on an all in one,you could go for Sony's new offering,the Sony HT-SS1300,which will give you HD audo also,and still have change left,possibly for a ps3,which will give full advantage of the audio/video you require.

Thank you for the very informative reply - much appreciated.

I wonder if I might ask you to recommend a speaker package for me. My room measures 3.5 meters x 4.5 meters and is soley dedicated to home cinema - thanks to an understanding wife. I dont mind if the speakers are large etc.

Thanks again

Brad

Thank you for the very informative reply - much appreciated.

I wonder if I might ask you to recommend a speaker package for me. My room measures 3.5 meters x 4.5 meters and is soley dedicated to home cinema - thanks to an understanding wife. I dont mind if the speakers are large etc.

Thanks again

Brad

ah..the understanding wife...until she reminds you,that "she" was understanding,when you wanted something,when its her time to get some goodies!!!:rotfl:

as far as speakers go,what kind do you want,5.1,7.1,small,large,floorstanding,black,silver~(you get my drift)..
some of the cantons,sold here,on AVForums,get a good rep,from owners:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195561 , with discount for members..
but again,all this might depend on what receiver/system you want,so recommending a set,wouldnt be a good idea,until you decide where you want to start.

also,an audition for the speakers wouldnt hurt either..you may not like the sounds from certain ones,when coupled with certain receivers.
as they say,one mans milk is another mans poison.

Ideally would be after 7.1 setup, floorstanding would be cool too and give an impressive look to the cinema room. Colour less important.
Ideally Id like to have a THX system but reckon that for my budget only the Onkyo HT-S990THX offers that.

Just not that sure how to start unless I go for Onkyo HT-S990THX.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom