It's like believing in god

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
You think to yourself 'ok, I'll give it a go' and you pray like hell for something really important. And when he fails to deliver, you think 'sod it' and forget about religion.
That's the last time I take an interest in football.

You'll use any excuse to get your atheist viewpoint across wont you?

You'll use any excuse to get your atheist viewpoint across wont you?
No, you've missed the point. It's more about feeling let down. I.e. by the English football team.

80 million germans prayed about the same thing and god heard them it seems... so what gives?

Yes, but I believe in god and he's never let me down
Say what? How do you KNOW? :rolleyes:

Been lucky enough to lead a life without ANY problems?

Been lucky enough to blame everyone else but God when things do go wrong?

Either way, lucky old you............

Stuart, if God was involved, that entity has a sense of humour.

80 million germans prayed about the same thing and god heard them it seems... so what gives?
They said that before - God wasn't really with them then either. ;)

You think to yourself 'ok, I'll give it a go' and you pray like hell for something really important. And when he fails to deliver, you think 'sod it' and forget about religion.

Thats what makes football the greatest game on earth.

......That's the last time I take an interest in football.
I was just thinking along similar lines myself.
You invest four years of faith and hope ......... And then find out that the emperor really does have no clothes :mad:

It's not as if we went out bravely, or played well but were outclassed on the day.

Four sorry performances by startled rabbits.

You think to yourself 'ok, I'll give it a go' and you pray like hell for something really important.

Don't see how this is relevant to believing in "praying".

But congratulations on showing contempt towards religious folk again.

How so?

Makes me laugh how way it is to 'offend' the religious.

Like your sexuality, if you really believe in it, who cares what someone else thinks?

But that's the point, it's easier to offend those who aren't sure than those who aren't. ;)

How so?

Makes me laugh how way it is to 'offend' the religious.

Read my post again. Where did I state my objection to offending the religous?

I made two statements neither of which infer what you are saying.

I do not see how "praying" is similar to supporting the England football team. I have friends who are Musilm, Catholics and Jehovah Witnesses for example and not for one second do I believe any part of the religion. But I do not make numerous cheap digs at them.

Read my post again. Where did I state my objection to offending the religous?

I made two statements neither of which infer what you are saying.

I do not see how "praying" is similar to supporting the England football team. I have friends who are Musilm, Catholics and Jehovah Witnesses for example and not for one second do I believe any part of the religion. But I do not make numerous cheap digs at them.
Your post says:- 'But congratulations on showing contempt towards religious folk again'.

Seems clear cut to me.

I don't believe in making digs at religious people either. Not to mention RD is illegal.........

However, I don't see how stating you feel let down, either by religion or England is anyone else's business, or is 'offensive'. You either state you feel the same way or disagree. Which is fair enough either way.

But good luck with trying to prove it is offensive. :cool:

jes, lighten up guys, hes disappointed with the england result
How can you be so flippant! England have lost! To the Germans! Four flaming one! :mad:

Just kidding! :D

lol!!!

religious people would think they didn't do enough to deserve it!

You may not get my point (because of this) and it's a shame that you missed it, because it wasn't a dig at religion, it was a reflection on how we can be disappointed in life.
I apologise if my contempt for religions folk showed through again. I didn't mean it to.
Apologies also to the moderators. I didn't intend the thread to go this way.
You can tell I don't drink. I consoled myself with a pint after we conceded each goal. But after three I came home and moaned about it here. If I had stayed in the pub till the end, my contempt for religious people might have slipped through even more. :eek:
Sorry again to the moderators. :suicide:

Stuart I think that most of us understood where you came from - but it was the other folk that started making remarks that got my goat!

Stuart I think that most of us understood where you came from - but it was the other folk that started making remarks that got my goat!
Ditto.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom