1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's Home Cinema Take Your Pick Time!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dodocream, Mar 19, 2002.

1. dodocream

dodocream

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all who replied to my opening gambit on this subject ("SAVE me from the horrors of all-in-one home cinema".

On your advice, I've decided to slightly up my budget for the audio kit to go with my KP44PS2 W/S RP TV. I've pretty much decided on either the Pioneer 444 or Tosh 210E DVD player so I'm excluded that from my worries from now on.

So onto the amp or speakers and out of my NEW revised budget of £600 (and this one can't really be broken) would anyone like to take their pick out of the following lovelies.

(N.B - you don't *have* to use up the £600 budget ;) )

Average Internet price in brackets:

AMPS:

-here ProLogic 2 is a must, as are good looks and 5.1 quality.

Marantz SR4200 (£250)

Marantz SR5200 (£340)

KRF-V7050D (£200)

Kenwood KRF-V9050D (£250)

Personally I'm leaning towards one of the Kenwoods but their reviews have been inconsistant.

SPEAKERS

-These have GOT to be as discrete as possible and good looking - floor-standers must really be something special to win over sleek satellites

Mission M72 speaker package (£300)

Wharfedale Diamond 8 Screen 1 AV Speaker (£300)

Eltax Liberty (£250)

Mission Cinema 7 (Still Available at richer sounds for £400???)

Mission FS2-AV (£360)

I love the look of the slim last option (FS2) but am a bit worried whether they justify the price jump over say the M72.

So it's over to you guys.

Please, take you pick!

Regards,
    DDC

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry, but I'd scrape together an extra £100 (from somewhere - must have about that in my six copper jars!), and go with the Marantz 5200, and the Mission FS2-AV package - if that's truly the price you've found them at, as they usually demand over £450, and I find it difficult to believe you've found them that cheap. Are you sure you've got that right, because if so they're the ones I'd go for in a heart beat.

They beat the M72 package on discretion, and probably beat them soundwise for HC purposes. Musically I reckon the M72's are better. You'll be hard pressed to find a Richer Sounds with the Cinema 7 package in stock anywhere now.

The more expensive options you have there beat the cheaper options hands down. I wouldn't look at things like the Eltax Liberty package or the Kenwood receivers after considering the others, because as good as the cheap alternatives are, your other options are far better.

3. dodocream

dodocream

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I haven't heard these missions, but I'm generally not that keen on mission speakers (but I'm probably on my own on this one since most other people love them). I'd probably suggest you add the basic Tannoy package to your list, and have a listen to them.

Anyway just my thoughts, i haven't heard any of the amps on your list so can't really comment.

Slingshot

5. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dodscream,

Once you have a short list, advise you to go and have some demos, only you can tell if it's the sound you are looking for with your budget.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    These are the NXT flat jobbies and not like the normal speakers.

When going to demo try to ensure that they use as similar an amp as possible and not a £5,000 Tag McLaren

7. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am using the FS2-AV's with a Denon 3802 and they sound great.

They are also very unobtrusive (which prevents arguments from the wife/girlfriend) and have generated lots of 'cool speakers!!!' comments from my mates (even the missus likes them). If you can get them for £370 go for them.

The other good thing with them is EVERYTHING is in the box. You get cable, stands, screws, end-caps and even the double-sided tape for sticking the flat cable to the skirtingboards and under the carpets.

Decent cable for other speakers will add to your costs so I think these are a great buy if you are on a limited budget.

Bill

8. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Crikey, I can't believe I forgot that part. In my defence it was late at night (again)... But don't buy without trying stuff out in as similar an environment as you will be using it, as possible. Demo! Demo! Demo!

9. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    From a man who has the sr4200 Marantz and the M72 cinema package....Awesome.

IMHO I would save the extra dough on say the 5200 for cabling/interconnets/stands etc etc.

10. romored5

romored5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would recommend the Mission 72 package .

If you mount the M72's on some quality stands you won’t be disappointed
    I have the M72 package but no sub as I’m saving but the base on the m72’S is tight powerfull and controlled.

It’s worth the extra £100 to buy the Marantz 5200 as it gives you some future proofing with 6.1

Don’t order from ED however as I got fed up waiting for ten weeks so cancelled and paid £400 to buy from Richards (shop price). Even at this price it’s a steal!

(ED take you money even if they have nil stock)

MY A\V RIG
    Panasonic TX32PB50
    Marantz SR5200
    Toshiba 210ED
    Amstrad DRX300
    Aiwa VCR
    Mission M72 front’s
    Mission M7C centre
    Mission M7ds rear’s
    Gale SPKR cables
    IXOS Scart