It's going back!

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Zaichik, Mar 21, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    I've had TiVo for three days, and I'm on the verge of taking it back. I was reading the TiVo Community forums and there are lots of posts on there about how poor programme data is making the system unreliable, especially since the introduction of the new software. If I can't rely on something, then it is no use to me. Why on earth is the British TV data compiled in America.

To be fair, I have not done much recording myself (and have not had any problems with bad data), but I don't want to risk keeping it for too long to find out it's unreliable, or the store won't take it back.

In addition to reported problems with bad data, I have had my own problems with the system software upgrade. The upgrade messed up all my progamme data, so I cleared out the system and downloaded a new set. Since then, I have been unable to locate programmes by name or genre - no matter what I enter it tells me that there are no programmes that match.

All in all, not a very auspicious start. My wife has already decided that she hates TiVo, and she also keeps turning off the cable box, so it won't work anyway!

I am beginning to think I should take it back and get Sky+ when I move in a few weeks (presumably that will switch itself on and off to record, so the "wife interference" problem won't be an issue). But are there any reliability issues with that too?

2. hookbeak

hookbeak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky+ does record from standby.

I've only had a couple of problems with guide data in sky+ - mainly channel 5 which is almost impossible to record from in my opinion. Otherwise i've had no real problems in the reliability stakes.

3. xyznicko2577

xyznicko2577

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had Tivo for 6 months now and i've never missed a single recording because of bad guide data, I think you've got the wrong end of the stick the problems you talk of are cosmetic and are only apparent because of the new features in 2.5.5 but this doesn't affect the overall reliability of the product, all it means is the guide data needs refining to make the "Bells and Whistles work better", but it will always get your programme recorded!!

4. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have had my Sky+ ever since it was released, and apart from changing the unit to the newer less noisy one, have had not probs to moan about.

Don't really record on Channel 5 so can't comment on that.

What you do get over TIVO is the bitstream recorded, so it is a (normally) exact copy, including Dolby Digital. Technically, if you could convert the box to DV out, you could back up on CDR/DVDR.

The series link is excellent only on a few occasions have we missed the first 60 seconds.

Nathan

5. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hmmm....

how about taking the HD out and dumping the file/s to CD on a PC? Anyone tried reading the files on a windows machine?
    What format are they in?

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Doesn't really matter what format they are stored in since they are the encrypted datastream and therefore have to pass through a Videoguard decoder/smartcard combination to view.
    Since SKY did the right thing and kept it's technology to itself the system hasn't been hacked.

Useful Link