1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's Coming - Woohoo!!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by ManGina, Feb 2, 2005.

1. ManGina

ManGina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Tosh 52WM48P 52" coming next Monday :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    Just had contact from Tosh confirming the above.
    Any top tips from you Tosh owners re Do's, Dont's or settings to try? I don't want to go and read through all those threads again.
    Thanks guys in anticipation :clap: :clap: :clap:

I will let you know how I get on with the size and viewing distances.................:smashin:

2. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I sit about 9 feet away from my Tosh, its a 46" and is absolutely massive compared to my previous 28" Tosh!

I hope you've got a large room for that 52" monster to sit in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will be absolutely frilled to bits with it i can assure you! Especially with films like The Day After tommorrow and Spiderman 2!

3. TOSHMANIAC

TOSHMANIAC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just be careful with the remote,it has the most sensitive on/off button ive ever come across,if a fly landed on it im sure it would turn the set on/off.as you know these sets don;t like being turned back on immediately after being turned off,they go through a cool down procedure so once you have the set on and settings how you want them,put the remote somewhere where it can;t be knocked,a 2 -3 minute wait just as you;re getting into a film is a pain.other than that,its a FANTASTIC tv,even though i only have the portable 46 inch version.ha

4. Jakeh1969

Jakeh1969

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    How about buying a programmable remote to get round the sensitive on/off button problem?

5. bitmapped

bitmapped

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Woohoo !!! indeed....

I'd be most interested to find out about how you will get along with the moster... I will definitely buy a Toshiba DLP I haven't decided yet whether it will be the 46 or 52.

I very much would like to buy the 52 as it might give me a better viewing angle, and an even better cinema experiance... but I'm a little concerned that yeah, it might just be too big, especially for my 2 kids in the house... but having said that I think the difference will not be very noticeable...

So go on my son, ManGina... your comments will certainly have a bearing on others' purchase decisions...

I eagerly await...

p.s. Looks like there aren't a lot of 52 owners in these forums - if there are, can you let yourselves be known?...

6. BAN5HEE

BAN5HEE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
    Bitmapped.
    Where did you get your Tosh from? :confused: I am having a hard time finding one.... :(

7. TOSHMANIAC

TOSHMANIAC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BITMAPPED,theres no such thing as TOO BIG

8. bitmapped

bitmapped

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toshmaniac,

When I said 'too big', I'm only concerned about the viewing distance, although I think the difference might just be slight.

What would you say be the optimum distance for the 52"?

Would PQ suffer due to being stretched on the bigger screen?

9. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You've got to be looking at between 12-13 feet i would have guessed, its almost 10ft for the 46"!!!!

10. ManGina

ManGina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Ban5hee - ordered from www.buyyourav.com - delivered direct from Tosh.

A new remote was a consideration before - now it seems like it's a must have :rotfl:

My planned viewing distance will be about 13 feet - not that I've got a massive room. It's a rectangle shape and I thought f :censored: k it. I'll switch it all around from the more conventional viewing angle if you get what I mean :devil:

Keep the tips coming guys - the more the better :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

11. bitmapped

bitmapped

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello ManGina, how are you today m8?... I was wondering why have you gone so quiet?...

Hey, I'm waiting for your impressions on your new monster Tosh TV. You should have it by now isn't it? I want to know how you're getting along with it?

How's PQ, angle viewing, sound quality, viewing distance, etc, etc?...

How is it compared to other DLPs?,... compared to its 46 brother?

C'mon speak up... Please...

12. Pete Daly

Pete Daly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,
    I have been agonising for weeks about which TV to buy. These Toshiba's look the dogs and perform pretty well by all accounts. The thing I would like to know are they truely Sky HDTV ready? I have looked at the two Sagems side by side and I think the 50" has the best picture but it seems to have Sky HDTV issues. Would I be better off with the Tosh?
    Thanks
    Pete

13. schnipps

schnipps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With the remote thing i just switch the side switch on the remote to dvd or somethng which locks all of the tv buttons and the on/off

14. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Pete Daly: I have the 46” Tosh and it performs fantastically, the ONLY gripe I have is regarding the panning blur on fast moving objects, however this probably only makes up about 20% of a film, and the other 80% simply looks fantastic, with rich and vibrant colours, brilliant blacks, and a real cinematic feeling as if your actually in the film.

SKY have officially announced that they will be using HDCP HDMI, which the Tosh has but the Sagem 50” hasn’t - as standard – however there were rumours that an upgrade would possibly be available but I wouldn’t hold your breath on that one.

If you want to ensure that you can receive HD when broadcasted in 2006, I would certainly stay well away from any set without HDCP HDMI – no matter how good the picture looks when displaying HD via a PC etc., – how nice the TV might look - or how many promises are being made about upgrades etc!

15. g_unit

g_unit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BuyYourAV do seem to be the cheapest around for the 52incher but I'm a little iffy about the company. How many people have brought things from them, whats the customer service like etc?

They dont give a contact address which never inspires confidence... oh and has anyone clicked the Customer Benefits link on the site - as there seems not to be any!! Lol

16. bitmapped

bitmapped

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's one main reason why we want the Tosh. It's HDMI co[liant.

The 46 received good reviews. And let's just think, Toshiba has centuries of experience in AV - worldwide...

I just hope someone can tell us a bit more about the 52-inch UK model because there's not a lot of info about it, not a lot of owners yet at this time...

C'mon ManGina, tell us about it man....

17. ManGina

ManGina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Sorry everyone :zonked:
    I have had horrendous problems with my computer and windows xp since last week. Took me till tonight to get it sorted. Gates you t :censored: r :mad:

The monster came on Monday as promised :clap: :clap:
    Buyyourav were good to their word. The set was delivered AND installed by 2 nice chaps (from tosh)who assembled the stand, tuned it in and hooked up my sky+ and dvd. Absolutely no complaints here from this company. Had a phone call the day before stating delivery time bet 12.00 and 14.00.
    11. 55 they turned up:smashin: :smashin:
    The set is massive :eek: 59" wide 53" high and 16" deep. I have to admit it was the height for some reason which took me aback. We had a good laugh in an OMG kind of way when we first saw it but only a day or 2 later we were already used to it - so no regrets at all re the size.... :laugh:
    Sound is superb. I am planning Canton surrounds, but only for the cinematic experience. Loudness and quality oozes from the Tosh speakers but then again, they are pretty big too, so they should be good shouldn't they... :rolleyes:
    As for picture quality... now I see what the comments have been about sky... It does vary...but it's not as bad as I thought. Quality is still better than any plasma this side of £7000 that I have seen (and thats on the sky feed). I have a panny dvd with crap scart and quality goes up again - but if I'm honest not as good as I expected (which was crystal CRT territory). Having said that I bought this set as much for tomorrow, as I did today. By that I mean hi def from sky, my plans to upgrade my dvd with best connections possible and PS3 - all connected via hdmi (if that will be possible)
    Overall I am very pleased with this set. The remote doesn't switch itself off, but you do have to leave the thing on standyby (red light shows when off) :nono:
    Viewing distance for me is anything from 11' to 15' and its great from anywhere off to the side in my room which is about 14' wide. Picture does dim slightly when you are stood up as I knew it would from others comments. I haven't found the magical perfect one size fits all settings for picture quality yet and i anticipate I never will given the varying quality of broadcast from sky :nono: . Along the same lines i find I have to switch between widescreen settings of which there are about 6 i think - again because of the different broadcasts. To be honest this is my biggest gripe, but its all done via 1 button on the remote so not a real problem:blush:
    To sum up...I am very happy with the set and the supplier :thumbsup: Its almost but not quite as good as I expected in pic quality but that is perhaps down to my being unrealistic and definately down to sky feed and quality of my dvd player and connections - both of which can only get better when the hi def kicks in - the biggest reason i bought the tosh in the first place :D :D

Go get some. You wont regret it :cool:

18. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Man Gina: You jammy bugger!!! I had to set the blinking stand up myself! It was a right nightmare as well, because the left post didn't fit to the bottom wooden shelf at the correct angle, think the screw holes didn't line up right, so it had a massive gap in the joint and was just obviously not sitting right, i spent about 1 hour on that piece alone, only to hand it over to the Mrs in the end, and i don't how - but she managed to get it soughted PERFECTLY in about 5 minutes - she's definately got a lot more paitence than i have with things - looks like you did allright with the installation service M8!

19. weebroonieuk

weebroonieuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how close can u sit to the tv before being un watchable as i want to purchase before i move out or build a house ....
    so where i plan for the tv to be in my room it will be about 10 feet at max maybe less !!
    but when i do move or start a new build then it will be alot bigger i still want the feeling of hugeness :)

20. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well i sit 8.5 feet away and the picture looks fantastic. Although i do sometimes sit on the floor which is probably only about 6-7 feet away, and it still looks great!

21. bitmapped

bitmapped

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    soni, those viewing distances you mentioned are for the 46WM48P of course, isn't it?

How would these translate to the 52" which is what ManGina has, and something that you do not have, I suppose?

22. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have both the 46 and 52, each in different rooms of the house - only kidding.

Thats right, i have got the 46" so disregard the above post! :suicide:

23. ManGina

ManGina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Well you will certainly have the feeling of hugeness with the 52" :laugh:
    Bear in mind I am talking about a sky feed and not a dvd via hdmi connection(does anyone make use of this connection yet?) I watch (due to my room layout) mainly at 16'. I have another settee where its down to about 9' and this is ok but personally I wouldn't want to get any closer (I prefer to sit about 8-12 rows back at the cinema for example). My son sits at 7' feet at times and hasn't mentioned jaggies but I probably would. Unfortunately due to my connections I cant comment on how good this set can go. yet :devil:
    I stress that I am very happy with it now and fully expect it to be superb with the right kit. My ultimate plans are for Yam 3500 amp, denon 3910 dvdplayer , Canton300 fronts Canton100 surrounds and suitable centre and centre rears(cant remember the models as I lost all my saved web pages listing all these with my crash last week :(
    I will then sit around 12', having moved one settee slightly for (my)optimum viewing distance and listening position for 7.1 (can anyone recommend 7.1 over 5.1 as I dont see that many dvds that support this?)
    If I was moving house where the bigger set will be less of an issue I would hate to look back and regret...it's scary how quickly you become accustomed to the size.Yet initially the 52" made my old sony29" look like a portable while it was sat next to it :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: