It's coming today

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Reaction score
Yep, Joe is delivering my shiny new 433MXE today. Unfortunately I need to go out to a party tonight then crimbo shopping tomorrow!

I'm going to take some before and after measurements that I'll post here, but with no screen shots so Stuart doesn't get upset.

It's coming without any input board as I'm going to drive the PC input until the Key Digital card comes out. Off to try and find powerstrip timings for native rate of panel now.....

Gordon

Are you getting Joe to set it up or risk it yourself, Gordon:blush:

What's the dif between the Key Digital card Vs Pioneer?

Joe brought it over Saturday and we had a coffee and chat while waiting for it to warm up. Got it going after about 45 minutes and Joe left to see some other clients.

Straight out the box I advise all owners to TURN DOWN THE CONTRAST... It seems to be pre-set to DESTRUCTO level! Haven't done any playing around yet. It's being fed direct by the HTPC at Powerstrips 1280 x 768 PDP timings. Seems to work ok.

Straight off Melanie and I were both distinctly underwhwelmed. It's not, unsurprisingly, in the same league as a 9" CRT. However, a little tweaking, removing the large white projection screen from behind it and re-painting the wall to match, covering the table it's temporarily sitting on with black velvet to absorb reflections back on to face of display etc have all made image much much better. We watched an ep of Buffy along with one of West Wing last night and it looked good. It also isn't as small as I was thinking it would be so I'm happy on that front too.

Today, if I get time, I'll do some measurements and get in to integrator menu.

#Diff between Key Card and Pioneers. The Key card should have MUCH better video and film mode de-interlacing, combined with superior scaling and support for SDI in as standard. It will also de-interlace HiDef 1080i film source material using 2:3 recognition which is a good trick!

Gordon

Welcome to the club Gordon. Looking forward to hearing your reports on the KD card - do you get one to play with before Xmas as UK distributor?!.

Phil

Hi Gordon,
Wouldn't it be better to input 1024x768 rather than 1280x768.
1280x768 being the 50inch native res, or do you think the picture is better if the panel down converts.:rolleyes:

bewty,

If you input 1024x768 from an HTPC, the aspect ratios on DVD playback will be a mess - everything will appear horizontally stretched. I input this resolution for web-browsing and put up with the stretch (until I can afford/ justify a new home PC capable of outputting a wide XGA image).

It can't be a particularly onerous scaling algorithm that downconverts 1280x768 to 1024x768, so I would expect the picture to be fine on the standard 433. Maybe its even better with the KD card - but I think the cards only deal with video signal inputs.

I suppose someone could write a native 1024x768 wide-screen (i.e. rectangular pixel) driver for Windows but I've never heard of one!

Phil

1280 x768 was chosen as I was having trouble getting any image at all and needed to find something the thing would sync to straight away. Powerstrip had that res and it was listed as the correct one for best image quality inthe instruction manual. Ill have a play later today once I get some crimbo shopping done.

Gordon

Gordon,

What settings have you got in the menu (s) so far?

Regards,

PVR

Not had a play yet in anger. Took some preliminary measurements last night. Will take some more this evening to confirm what I am seeing.

I turned contrast down to around -16 and brightness up to 1. Not done anything else. I will not be posting my integrator settings on the forum once it is calibrated....sorry.

Will try to put some pics up of measurements later

Gordon

Gordon,
I assume with your contrast at this level you are not using power MODE2.
This is the only mode which doesn't add anything( artificial contrast ) to the picture.
For me it's the clearest,particularly on SKY.I also feel,the less extra processing that goes on,the better.
Regards
Simon

I haven't played with anything Simon. Only turned CONTRAST down as it was way to bright. Then measured greyscale to see how it tracked out of the box.

Gordon

Might have time this evening when it's dark to have further plays but not got much freetime...

Gordon,
Straight from the box,the display is horribly bright.This is mode 0 ,I think.
In the 192 page technical manual,it states that power control mode 0 and mode 1 artificially enhance contrast.
This for me made it hard on the eyes and very harsh with sky.
Mode 2 is much better.I have contrast at about -1.I think.
It states that the panel is displaying the image as it was intended.(always a good idea)
Regards
Simon

Thanks Simon,

Will have aliong read through the document later. I did measure the gamma as tracking pretty accurately at the settings it's at just now, prior to doing anything except the brightness and contrast.

Oh what fun!

Gordon

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom