It's been a while!

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by capnjapseye, Nov 29, 2010.

1. capnjapseye

capnjapseye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't done much video work recently (as you can probably tell from what follows!). My last camera purchase was a Sony DCR PC1000E, which I searched for for ages until I found a really good used one (they were already out of production). At the time, I came to the conclusion that Mini DV tape was still the way to go when considering the final quality of the video being reproduced. I still think that camera is iconic.

I'm now considering the possibility of a new camcorder purchase and was hopeful that I might get some guidance here. I want good quality, at least equal to, or better than that from the DCR PC1000E and good sound recording, suitable for live music small gigs etc. Thanks in anticipation of all your advice.

2. rob12770

rob12770
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    what is your budget ?

3. capnjapseye

capnjapseye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not unduly concerned. It does appear that prices in general for consumer electronics have come down. However, I do tend to subscribe to the "you get what you pay for" principle. I have been looking at a the Panasonic HDC-SD700 which seems to get good reviews. How have things moved on though in terms of picture quality? Has Mini DV now been left behind?

4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,187
    I have a semi-pro Sony DV camcorder in it's day considered to be the bees knees. Even using the lowest quality HD setting (1440 x 1080) on my new Sony the difference is amazing. Part of the reason is the loss in resolution involved in using 16:9 with what is essentially a 4:3 sensor.

5. damo_in_sale

damo_in_sale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +565

I have the SD700 and it is very good (with a 32Gb class 6 SD card). I am a novice user and this is only the second camcorder I've owned (the first was a cheaper Panasonic bought about a year ago and it was garbage- I took it back to John Lewis after four months and got back 90% of what I paid). The SD700 is the replacement and I am very happy.

Until recently I was shooting in 1080i because my PC could handle this, but couldn't handle the AVCHD 1080p 50Hz footage.

But I also bought Cineform Neoscene which converts the AVCHD files into a more playback and editor friendly format (it essentially decompresses it, amongst other things, so the PC doesn't have to on the fly).

I edit with Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum Production Suite.

Now all my footage is 1080p, because I know I can confidently play it back and edit it.

And 1080p 50Hz footage is very good. Don't forget though that I have little experience of other products, so others may be able to offer you a more informed opinion.

6. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Yes, it has though only because the new output is way better on Hidef ,
    Play both via composite on a CRT and you wil be hard pushed to see a massive improvement
    But time moves on!
    I have a Sony VX2100, HC1 and a FX1 SD and HDV respectively and in truth the newer kit for much less outlay are stunning

. Most wont give the FX1 a headache for low light , corporate work ect but that is because it is not quite a consumer kit. This also applies to the likes of Canon XH A1 ect and there are the Semi Pro Sony EX cam and Panasonic DVC pro kit
    But back to AVCHD consumer kit
    Even a camcorder like Panasonic's AG HMC 41 ( which is a " generation" behind the SD 700 but more " Semi Pro" would suggest the AVCHD devices are here to stay and many of the teething gremlins have given way to vibrant sharp colourful hidef footage
    I used the TM350 (Panasonic before the 700) and was very impressed .
    The only downside is that a new PC and software as well as mindset for output options is called for
    A 4-5 year old PC with software of similar age will really struggle
    also
    In some ways turning the SD700s output to SD DVD is downscaling and you wopnt end up with an SD DVD that shows off what it can do compared to a high end MiniDv model