1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Its been a while without one, so here is another what do i buy post!!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by electrify_dizz, Feb 15, 2003.

1. electrify_dizz

electrify_dizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, here goes!!

I'm a poor student, who has somehow managed to save £450 to try and get a home cinema set up. Obviously I wont be getting anything too flash, but i was hoping you guys could give me some advice, and possibly recommend me some equipment!

I'm looking to get a multi-region player, an amp/reciever and 2 front, 2 rear and a centre speaker.

What do you guys recommend? I like the look of the Toshiba SD 220e as a dvd player, but what about the amp and speakers?

I was looking at the liberty 5 speaker set up (249.99) with the yamaha RXV430RDS (199.95), all from Richer Sounds, but sadly i can't afford it all, it kinda blows by budget by about £150 by the time i think about wiring as well!!

So does anyone have any recommendations for me??

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Not being funny or anything but if your budget is £450 have you considered an 'all in one' solution. I know they are not popular and they will never be in the same league as seperates but it might suit your budget better.

3. electrify_dizz

electrify_dizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I have looked. But the way I'm thinking is if i get sepeartes, i can gradually replace elements of it until I get a pretty good set up!!

How much should i be looking to spend to get a lower end system then?

4. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    How about this lot for £420, which is what I now have as asecond system.

Tosh 120E MR £100
    Yamaha HTIB-45 Home Cinema System comprising HTR-5540RDS (Same as RX-V430RDS but silver) and NSP220 Speakers for £320 which I believe includes wires and brackets

Total £420 which leaves £30 for a digital interconector and a DVD to watch :)

Only thing is I havn't heard it yet but feel confident that it should be OK as a starter/second system.

5. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    May be a daft question, but what are your plans for the TV? ditton

6. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Currently 21" Beko :blush:

But will probable get 42" Plasma £2000 from RS :0

7. electrify_dizz

electrify_dizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But i wouldnt really want the dvd player as im getting the 220e tomorow!

Im not sure about the yamaha, i get the impression its got satalite speakers which im not a huge fan of!!

8. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Can you tell me, if you r on a budget, why u would not concider the 120E?

If you do not want satelites then u WILL need as much as posible from you budget for full range speakers.

9. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I'd definately go for seperates - it will save you money in the long run. If you have managed to save in the past you can do it again. Buy bits and pieces as you go. Start with the sd220e which is an excellent first purchase for the money - I Know many people (I even bought for my parents as a joint x-mas pressie) who have been delighted with it's performance. Next get the yammy for £200 (I had the ax620 before I up graded to a denon- I was very please with the surround performance and musically it was pretty good too.) spend the balance on Front left and right speakers (say mission m72's about £90- an excelent budget speaker with good bass). You can add the centre and rear channels at a later date.
    I wouldn't go for an all in one solution as every one that I know (Including myself) grew out of the system very quickly. For the money they can be quite good but I think it's a faulse economy in the long run.

Good hunting :)

10. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Yes the 220 is an excellent player and has had rave reviews BUT this guy IS on a budget and to be honest there are only a few shortfalls with the 120E ie No MP3 or Optical out. It still has components out and the quality is no different from the 220, I have seen one.

If he buys the all in one to start he will imediatly begin enjoying full DD and DTS and can then sell on or upgrade with his dealer or this forum when ready to go the sepparate route.

Just trying to using head against heart :smashin:

11. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yup, buying it bit by bit would be my suggetion too. Dont rush out and buy cheap crap that you will only replace a few months down the line simply because you want it NOW-no matter how tempting.

It'll only work out more expensive in the long run. And believe me, coming from a man who has bought more useless ****e than most over the years-you will regret throwing your money away when the novelty of the shiny new toys wear off.

If I was you I would either buy one of the dvd players mentioned and a half decent amp-then hang on till I could afford the other bits and pieces (keeping the amp till its needed and making do with tv sound in the meantime-not much of a solution I know), or I would buy a good all in one system now.

Yes a half decent seperates is better, but there are plenty of all in ones which are FAR better than a half arsed separtes set up any day. They are not as bad as people make out. For £450 you'll get a nice set up which will last you a few years. Lets face it your not going to be using it in a massive room accompanied by a 12ft projector. Unless student digs have changed significantly since my time!
    :)

12. electrify_dizz

electrify_dizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the advice guys!!

At the moment I'm on placement, so my house is pretty nice compared to what im used to (my bedroom this year is the size of my living room last year!!) At the moment im anaging to put aside about £70 a month to put towards something (having finally cleared the £600 on my cc!!)

So i will go with what seems to be the general opinion, and gradually build up. At the moment I have a stereo system, which i have a pair of 100 watt liberty 5+ speakers for which i will use as temporary front right and left speakers - and as long as i dont put the volume up too loud the Yamaha shouldnt blow them (I hope!!)

Cheers guys, I will come your way when i'm looking for the next add on!!!