Its been a while! Moving back to full separates vs a Sonos 5.1 - advice required

nictry

Distinguished Member
After 5 years or more I have decided (well lockdown insanity has decided!!) that I might go back to a full separates system vs the Sonos Playbar/Sub/surrounds I have had since switching from B&W 602/3s many moons ago.

As I have been out of the market for a while i have spent a good few days reviewing, analysing etc. and have narrowed down my choices to the following:

Denon X4700H AVR
Monitor Audio Silver 200 AV12 - this comes with the C150 centre, W12 Sub, FX surrounds and the 200 floor standers - I would plan to also add the AMS Atmos speakers to the top of the floor standers.

I was also planning on adding a Pro-Ject Essential III A turntable to get my old vinyls back out of storage and a Denon DCD-600NE CD player for the odd occasion I am not streaming music or using the vinyl.

Room size is 18' long and 14.5' width - the main AV unit and TV will be the middle of the far length wall and the sofa at the other end so pretty much an even oblong shape with the floorstanders at the front either side, sub nearby at the front, the FXs will be head height behind the sofa

Anyone have any thoughts, advice, suggestions what not to do or whether the options above feel right - spend is just over £4k with some offset by selling off the playbar/sub/2xPlay 1 combo

Appreciate any advice given

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Bundle deal 3,5k£.

And if you have space then Silver 300 & Silver C350! This would cost only 500£ more at 4k£ and the larger 3-way center channel would make difference as members here have noticed. The same can be said for the main speakers. They are not much larger physically, but bigger drivers plus dedicated mid-range driver.

Prices individually:

Silver 200 5.1 : 2865£
Silver 300 5.1 : 3322£

Then if you add Denon 1400£. So fairly good savings when bought together.

I think most members would ask you to buy the system without W12 subwoofer as there is better ones at 1k£. The price won´t come down as much, but still i think there is better ones to choose from. No requirement to match the sub with speakers, unless wife thinks it need to have identical finish. One option is to pick X3700H and save X amount in total price which you would put in to better subwoofer or two to get the benefits of dual woofers (not just loudness related). W12 is good sub for hifi system, but it´s damn small and made to suit package. Comes with only 2year warranty so if you really care about movies you should put the money instead to product which is designed by company that specializes building woofers. Not only you get better performance, build quality you also get better support/service, warranty and higher aftersale value.

nictry

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the detailed reply, appreciate the advice and will look in more depth at the suggestions.

gibbsy

Can't see nothing wrong with your choice of speakers and amp. The advice about a difference sub also makes sense. As for the CDP the Marantz cd6006 is the better player. The Denon's don't really take off until you get to the DCD 800 NE, then they are seriously good. The AL32+ processor makes a difference.

A word of warning though, the Denon's are not the best at stereo music lacking control and depth.

nictry

Distinguished Member
Can't see nothing wrong with your choice of speakers and amp. The advice about a difference sub also makes sense. As for the CDP the Marantz cd6006 is the better player. The Denon's don't really take off until you get to the DCD 800 NE, then they are seriously good. The AL32+ processor makes a difference.

A word of warning though, the Denon's are not the best at stereo music lacking control and depth.

I can go with the Marantz easily enough so will swap that out. The Sub is an issue, I ussed to have a big old B&W and one condition for this change was a more discreet one this time round so one compromise I have to make even if its not the best of the bunch.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
The Sub is an issue, I ussed to have a big old B&W and one condition for this change was a more discreet one this time round so one compromise I have to make even if its not the best of the bunch.

There is compact sized good looking ones available! Naturally upgrade from W12.

Or 1961 1S:

If you need wood veneer finish you could consider BK Electronics, local UK brand that has build subwoofers since 1992. They have run out of parts, but around february this model would be available and due to low price you could get two of them. Perhaps second in future if wife would be ok. Size is quite compact. You can click on the Editors Choice part to read AVF review. Bang for buck is very strong on this one and more ideal for larger spaces & movie use.

Last edited:

nictry

Distinguished Member
Thanks all for advice, some I took some I didn’t after ‘consultations’ with those who have to be obeyed!

Order placed for the silver 200s with the AMS - the 300s were just a little oversized and changing the sub would have meant losing the discount on the ‘set’ AV12

Went with the Marantz 6007 as difficult to find a 6006 and even harder in silver which I needed to match the 4700 amp (can’t believe an extra 400 for a silver as they don’t do the 3700 in anything but black!)

Managed to get the turntable in stock so most items due for delivery tomorrow with the exception of the w12 and c150 unfortunately but hopefully not long to wait

It’s a pain not getting the best options but sadly it’s going into a lounge not a dedicated cinema/music room so compromises had to be made

Appreciate all the advice and hopefully can get the amp/cd/turntable and front speakers set up over NY day and hear how much of an upgrade it is from the SONOS gear it is

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Hisense A7G, Zidoo Z1000 & Kudos Cardea C10 Reviews + Movie News and Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom