1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's arrived!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Lameway, May 5, 2004.

1. Lameway

Lameway
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After lingering around these forums for a month or so, annoying many people with (probably) basic questions (thanks to everyone!) I bit the bullet and went for an LCD TV to replace my trusty yet bulky 28" Hitachi CRT.

I've plumped for the Toshiba 26WL36 - saw so-so reviews but had a play with one in my local dealer and got it set up with my equipment in a way I was extremely satisfied, so the credit card came out :D

I'll be posting a review on it once i've got it setup and had a play - I have asked around on these boards for people with one of these TVs but no one's responded so either no one has them or Tosh LCD owners are frightened of speaking out..

I've also bought a Yamaha Amp (430RDS) for a bargain price on Ebay just to get me started (need to find some speakers when I have some more money.. so in 2020 then LOL) and already have a Toshiba 330E DVD player so now I can make use of those lovely component connections! :clap:

Anyone got a bit of advice for calibrating the beastie? I would like to invest in an Avia setup DVD but funds are now going to be tight for a bit, so if anyone can recommend DVDs to use to get levels right I'll see if I own and can use them.

Regards

Lameway

Attached Files:

2. Lameway

Lameway
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I've had a few days to play around with the screen and here's what i've found:

> The picture is absolutely superb, but ONLY after tweaking and i'm not finished yet! Toshiba default settings (the well known 100% contrast setting being one) are terrible - you would have thought they'd setup the LCD to look ok when it turned on but it looks truly awful.
    I used picture mode 3 then tweaked from there, as mode 3 has all the digital processing stuff turned off and you start from a blank canvas.
    Will invest in Avia setup DVD but for now i've done it by my own personal preference using a couple of films - Pirates of the Caribbean is perfect in many respects i've found as it has light, tropical scenes and dark scenes to really test out our screen. I'm using a QED component cable to connect up my Toshiba SD330E DVD player by the way..

> Sounds is passible and not ideal for long term. I haven't got any speakers for my Yammy amp yet so i'm using the 'onboard' 7W speakers and whilst sounds are well placed, bass is none existant and sounds like a lepricaun playing a tambourine inside the housing :rotfl:

> The LCD is very sharp with white writing on black background and vise versa but only after tweaking (see point one above). At first I was very disappointed as some writing looked smeared round the edges with blocks of colour, but with DNR etc turned off this was soon rectified. I do however have a poor freeview signal, and even though I am using a QED Squart between the Pace Twin and the RGB scart on the screen (thanks to MAW for sending the lead as a prize! :D ) some artifacts can be seen on weak channels like 18 (The Hits). I'll have to sort out my £2.99 run of Argos RF cable! :blush:

Other than that, buildin quality is second to none, set was nice and easy and menus are logical to fine your way around. Haven't really read the manual (!) although it's similar to War and Peace in size ;)

No reflections off the glass panel in front of the screen either which was one worry I had as the screen is 90 degrees and about 6 feet away from a bay window.

If there are any other Tosh 26WL36 users on here, put your comments on your setup below so we can create a point of info on these boards as there seems to be very few places anywhere reporting these LCDs in use and the PQ etc!

Any comments on the setup I have are welcome too

Cheers

Lameway