1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's arrived and I'm blown away.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Faust, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Well it arrived as planned, and I am now the proud owner of a TH37PE50. I just wish I had bought this before instead of going back and forth about what to have i.e. Plasma or LCD. I am simply blown away by the PQ of this panel. Analogue is so so, not brilliant but passable, however, both Freeview and Sky broadcasts are absolutely stunning. I have not seen any blocky pictures or oily water effect etc. and I would go as far as to say the PQ is certainly equal to my Panny CRT. If anyone is out there wondering whether of not they should buy this model from Panasonic, I would say wonder no further and grab it with both hands, you won't be disappointed.

2. longy

longy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    equal to the crt ? u must of had a duff one mate because it comes nowhere near my tosh 36

3. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    hurrah....good stuff!

4. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Panasonic Plasma versus Panasonic CRT - Result dead heat. Now I have always been a die hard CRT devotee, but as far as I am concerned the two are equal, what's even better is that my Plasma t.v. Sky+ DMR E30 and VCR are all daisy chained together using nothing more than my trusty old £4.00 scart leads from B&Q. Ah! isn't life great, I'm more than happy with my PQ and don't care if I ever have Hi Def :D

5. longy

longy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    trusty old 4 quid scart leads : :eek: suicide: ,i for one know that a dearer lead will give a better picture, has your dvd got progressive scan, if so hook it up with component leads u will get an even better picture. :rolleyes:

6. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    oh yes, come on faust you have to make an effort with the leads and best connections...you'll be blown away even further

7. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good to hear about your positive experience with the 37PE50... :) i shall also be going for the 42PE50 finally (after going backwards and forwards for the last 6 months, just like yrself! :D )

BTW I would recommend getting some decent cables, the B&Q ones that i've used in the past are quite ordinary.. although it appears they give you a fine picture on your plasma, but then again if you spend that much money on a plasma, its surely worth spending another 50-80 quid to get some quality leads, given that they can make a NOTICEABLE difference to the picture.

I'm planning to order the following cables , once I get my 42PE50..

From what i've read and found out, these are possibly the best scart and component cables (value for money and sheer quality) out there:

2 x QED 2110 Sqart leads to connect Telewest cable to plasma, also to DVD recorder (1m scart lead for £27.00):
    http://www.avland.co.uk/qed/p2110/p-2110.htm

QED Qunex P-CV1 component leads for connecting DVD recorder to plasma. (1m component lead for £38).

http://www.avland.co.uk/qed/qunexpcv1/pcv1.htm

Anyone else here using these QED leads with their plasmas... if so what are your opinions of these leads compared with IXOS leads?

8. crank

crank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :) Well Faust its great to hear you finally got your set and you love it ....but i do agree with everyone about cables :eek: you would only improve the picture quality of your set :rolleyes: and why settle for second best when you have spent the money you have...Get out there now and treat your set with a little love and respect by getting some great cables and she'll "REALY" blossom :rolleyes: you get out what you put in.... :D As for comparing he picture quality to your crt ...I too think the pictre quality on some programs on my 42pv500 blow away my old crt :eek: so you are'nt alone there :rotfl: :clap: :clap: :smashin:

9. the highlander

the highlander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    a good feed and your new baby will blossom for you :thumbsup: i also have a tosh 36 CRT ( who now lives in the bedroom ) and i can say that a well setup plasma is as good as the 36 CRT .
    enjoy your new TV mate :D

10. RHCP

RHCP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Wow Majid you still havent got yourself a plasma yet? I've had my 42pe50 for 4 weeks now and loving it - you won't regret it! :)

Oh, and don't worry about screen burn, i've watched all the first series of lost and the first 4 of the second series, which has the ABC logo in the corner and not one bit of retention. :rotfl:

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Faust, you don't need to spend a fortune, £25 each on a component and a scart lead will give a visible improvement. Get them from a shop which will give you your money back if not satisfied if all our words are not enough for you.

12. MAT365

MAT365

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MEP

What an honest chap you are, I thought most retailers couldn't resist pushing thei high margin 'high quality' leads , putting just enough doubt in customer's minds to spend the extra 20 or 30pounds

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It's true that we make up for lack of margin on plasma with high margin stuff like leads! But there are limits, and if Faust had bought a Fuji 50" and £2.5k worth of scaler, I'd be pushing the boat out. But horses for courses, a QED squart or equivalent will do him proud.

14. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    i think you mean MAW Mat not Mep :)

15. MAT365

MAT365

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  16. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    To replace all my scarts at £30 a throw would cost me £120. As I cannot see any picture noise, blocky pictures, oily water effect, blur over motion etc, and am blissfully happy with what I can see, what on earth would be the point. I doubt very much whether I could improve the PQ much beyond what I already have. Now if any retailer would like to provide me with the more expensive cables in the name of research, then I am quite happy to give them a "road test" :D

17. nicke20

nicke20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I can thoroughly recomend Mark Grant for cables
    buy good cables the first time and it will be the only time,
    now power conditioning leads im afraid thats snakeoil to me :rotfl:

18. longy

longy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    i went into currys to test the 42pe50 with my component cables,i first tested the tv with the dvd player set to interlaced so the tv would do its own hokery pokery with the picture, which is what your doing, it was ok but there were still jaggies on fine detail. then set it to progressive no more jaggies,so basically using component leads allows the dvd player to do the progressive instead of using the inferior tv one :thumbsup: thats why u should use component leads :) its not so important wih sky because its not progressive but a abetter lead cuts out interferance a lot more than a cheap one and u get better colour. :)

19. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Nicke, just snake oil? It's blooming Basilisk oil to me. My Biz partner is an electrical engineer, he does't use one on his kit either!

20. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Well component for my DVD recorder is not an issue as I don't think my DMR E30 has component connectors or progressive scan, and as I don't intend to replace it within the next ten years or so (product failure permitting of course) then it's hardly going to be an issue for me. I played a DVD from the E30 on the Plasma last night, and both the wife and I agreed (twice in one month now :D ) that the PQ we have now is all we are ever likely to need. There will always be something better just around the corner, but if you are happy with what you've got then what's the problem. We have always had excellent Sky reception, and I am always puzzled when others criticise it. Whether it helps if like me you have backwards compatible equipment i.e. all Panasonic except the Sky+ box I'm not sure. I do know that my independent Sky installer has an excellent reputation and made a very good job at the time. Reading of some others experiences of Sky installers does lead me to wonder whether that is part of the problem.

21. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    no, no, no the Faust...you are missing the point, once you buy a plasma you don't sit back and enjoy it....you constantly worry that you could be doing something better, to the point where you actually stop taking on board what is happening in the programs you watch because you are too busy looking for faults. ;-)

22. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I know exactly what you mean mep :rolleyes: really have to just start watching the programmes instead of constantly tweaking contrast, color etc

23. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    :D yeah...I drive the family mad!

24. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    That's so true, I couldn't have put it better myself. I've got the product I wanted, I'm chuffed to bits with the product and the PQ it produces, I'm not fussed about Hi Def (unless its free) and would mark the Viera ten out of ten. I intend to enjoy it, not worry about screen burn, running it in or anything else, if I want it as dim as night or as bright as the sun then that's what I'm going to do - in essence I'm going to sit back and simply watch telly. :D

25. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    how..very..dare you :)

26. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm.. people actually buy plasmas for watching tele ? didn't know that ! :D

Here was me thinking they're only meant to be used for showing off to your mates! and oh, admiring the wonderful picture quality when hooked up with QED Sqart leads, noticing the sharpness of the picture when using component leads with progressive scan and of course, fiddling around with the settings to get the picture to look at its best.. and then once its all looking flawless, watching some of the low bit rate channels on Freeview and noticing pixellation and artifacts and feeling that only if it was high definition, wouldn't it be perfect.. ! :)

As for watching tele, well.. i'll leave that to the wife and kids.. but if that's all I want to do, I could just stick with a bog standard Goodmans/Bush 28" CRT with Asda branded scart leads! :rotfl:

27. ashleybrown

ashleybrown
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've had my 37" PE50 now for 3 weeks and I'm very pleased. I had a 32" CRT panasonic PD30 and must say the picture is better on my plasma.

I'm using IXOS component leads to connect my DVD player and a Thor scart lead from my sky plus box. I think the PQ on all but std tv signal is superb.

I've been playing with the picture settings every time I switch the tv on and I'm finally happy with my settings. Contrast about 35% and brightness 30%.

I did fancy Hi-Def but was put off by the prices. I've been told by my panasonic dealer that the box will cost £400 and then you have to pay an extra £30 and month for 3 Hi-Def channels. Best of all sky sports is not included in that and thats going to be an extra subscription on top. Ouch :suicide:

I'm wait another 5-7 years to go hi-def once the BBc has launched it's version.

I'm glad everyone is as happy with their plasma as me, a fine purchase.