1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Its all gone pete tong

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Morb, May 19, 2004.

1. Morb

Morb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Well what a chuffing pain in the rear, i think i might of blown my amp.

The problem occured while i was watching a DVD, Buffalo Soldier if you care, when there was a loud bang as a petrol station blew up in the film and right after that there was no sound.

Ok the details. The amp in question is a Sony STR-DB930. After the loss of sound i checked for burning smoke and fumes and i detected none.Next i checked all of my sources to see if the dvd player was to blame but everything turned up a blank even the test tones. After that i checked the speakers through my hifi amp and they do work.

When i lost sound i was listening with the volume dial at about 10 o'clock if that helps at all.

I've currently got the amp turned off, it has been on now permantly for about 4 months and used about 4-6 hours a day roughly. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas of what i can do to route out the problem and hopefully fix it i would really be gratefull :thumbsup: .

Thanks in advance for any help and spending time reading my dilemma.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    have you tried turning it back on?!

ad

3. Morb

Morb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    lol yes i have powered it off and on again still no sound, it is now off while i go to bed (night worker not lazy :laugh: ) and i will try it again when i get up.

4. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    First thing have you checked the fuse in the plug?

If its in warranty then just take it back to your retailer to sort out for you.

What speakers were you running and are they 8,6,4 Ohm

If its out of warranty or you can't be bothered getting your retailer involved for whatever reason, then you could try taking the cover off and checking down by the power supply for some small fuses, they will probably be the very small type with a glass bit in the middle, if you take these out and check them with a multimeter you may find that one or more have blown, these should be simple to replace, just take them down to your local Maplin or RS store and get some replacements, just make sure they are exactly the same, ie some are slow/fast reacting fuses.

Hope that helps

Ryan

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    you say no sound, does that imply that there is still a display showing or are their no signs of power in the unit?

ad

6. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry, yeah good question, I was assuming it wasn't coming on at all..?

7. Morb

Morb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    The speakers were 8 ohm and been used with this amp for a good couple of years.

The amp still displays inputs etc. but instead of sound being produced it lets out a little click(only noticed this now) the screen goes blank and thats that.

Thx

Morb

8. Morb

Morb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Well i have tried my amp again with the same, expected, result of no sound so unfortunatly me being me and not having a clue how to repair or fault find such electronic gizmos it looks like im going to have to take it off to get repaired, if its possible, but its very hard to find a good company but i can find a few individuals in the yellow pages, although the ones i have spoke to have put me off them within the first few seconds of conversation.

Life's a pain sometimes but im sure i will get it sorted (make that hope).Anyway thankyou for trying to help me although i think its a bigger problem than can be solved on a forum with my limited electrical knowledge, unless one of you lot lives near Bideford Devon and could pop to have a look :laugh: very very unlikely.

Thanks again and hopefully my next post will be of the happy kind and hopefully of use to others.