It's all about the timing. . .

IdontexistM8

I'm now pretty certain what I'm going to buy and where it's now just the timing. I was contemplating toughing it out until the sales but that's inherently risky. What's the thinking for this festive particular season?

vickster

Distinguished Member
4th Jan ;)

Which model are you looking at?

IdontexistM8

I'm now pretty much decided on the Samsung LE32C650 @ John Lewis, currently priced @ £499. Through them it's only available online and it went down £50 sometime last week I believe.

It's a good deal with that JL 5 year warranty as the lowest price with a standard warranty is £429. I wondering with some seriously fierce pricing going this season whether it could go lower in the festive build up. I wouldn't normally consider buying electricals at this time of year, so that's why I was thinking of holding on.

Oh. . . I was definitely going to buy before the VAT increase.

vickster

Distinguished Member
JL specials sell out very quickly especially given what you have said (just like the 42G20 did) - I'd buy now from them and if a company like Currys reduces within the next 28 days, you can ask JL for a price match

Kaotikz

Standard Member
I refuse to shop @ john lewis ever again they are rubbish! there was a plasma tv in there on sale @ 599 we went to go get something to pay for it and come back they put the price up to 699 and then claimed they didnt do it and we proved they did due to date/time wrote on the paper then fully refused to let us have the tv for 599 and then... claimed it was out of stock how pathetic the worst shop and customer service this year me dad told them there all a bunch of pigs and we walked out lol!

IdontexistM8

I refuse to shop @ john lewis ever again they are rubbish! there was a plasma tv in there on sale @ 599 we went to go get something to pay for it and come back they put the price up to 699 and then claimed they didnt do it and we proved they did due to date/time wrote on the paper then fully refused to let us have the tv for 599 and then... claimed it was out of stock how pathetic the worst shop and customer service this year me dad told them there all a bunch of pigs and we walked out lol!

I would go with Richer Sounds if they hadn't just finished selling that model.

I wouldn't buy anything vaguely expensive from John Lewis instore, online they seem reasonably efficient.

@vickster - Yep, I think I'll take a punt. Not sure whether JL do a post price match on TVs unless the guarantee period is the same. which invariably it isn't.

IdontexistM8

I stalled after reading more about motion issues (which I actually saw some of while demoing) and now the price has gone back up to £549.95.

I think it's pretty likely I'll wait now.

What disappoints me the most is there is no TV in all of the 32" models that really truly grabbed me. I wish I had the space for a 42" plasma, it would be a total no-brainer. . .

IdontexistM8

With Jan 4th rapidly approaching, like Diana Ross. . . I'm still waiting.

I'm pretty set on the Samsung C650 as I can turn Motion Plus off if I so desire. Right now it's just the size and the price. I'm now thinking 37" is a better bet than 32", 40" is still pushing things but I could just manage one as long as I don't knock into it!

I've been very disappointed in the post Xmas sales, the deals have been low end or all the same models (Sony EX403s). Little or nothing on the higher spec LCDs. I've been told Samsung release new prices next week which could offset the VAT increase but that's speculation.

Richer Sounds have the 37" available to buy online and the 40" instore.

Samsung LE37C650 | 37 inch LCD TV 1080p HD Ready Freview HD | Richer Sounds
Samsung LE40C650 | 40 inch LCD TV 1080p HD Ready Freview HD | Richer Sounds

Neither price is astonishing, however they've got that 5 year warranty and with Samsung having seeming reliability and parts availability issues I don't want to be left short. The alternative option is to go for someone like Amazon and get one of the Squaretrade warranties which appear to be good value.

Decisions, decisions. . .

vickster

Distinguished Member
John Lewis have the 40c650 with 5 year warranty and free delivery. Also, if they bring the price down in the next 28 days, they'll refund the difference

Buy Samsung LE40C650L LCD HD 1080p Digital Television, 40 Inch with Built-in Freeview HD online at JohnLewis.com

Not in stock online right now but they look to be expecting more (as are acccepting emails). Or try your local store

£610 from Amazon, £91 for 3 year warranty- does seem to include accidental damage (if you cannot include in home insurance)?

Samsung generally use inferior panels in their 37s

itey1

Standard Member
Hi,
have you seen the UE37C6000 in currys for £649?
I was thinking of getting the UE40C6000 which is reduced to £624.

Matt TRD

Bit OTT don't ya think?:rolleyes:

vickster

Distinguished Member
Did you actually talk to a manager or just get abusive? :confused:

I for one have never had any issues with JL. Indeed, they have just looked at my parent's TV under warranty - there within 48 hours of calling this week between Xmas and NY. Wonder if Currys would manage that on a 3 year old TV ;)

However, it is everyone's prerogative to shop wherever they like, one of the joys of capitalism :D

Last edited:

IdontexistM8

John Lewis have the 40c650 with 5 year warranty and free delivery. Also, if they bring the price down in the next 28 days, they'll refund the difference

Buy Samsung LE40C650L LCD HD 1080p Digital Television, 40 Inch with Built-in Freeview HD online at JohnLewis.com

Not in stock online right now but they look to be expecting more (as are acccepting emails). Or try your local store

£610 from Amazon, £91 for 3 year warranty- does seem to include accidental damage (if you cannot include in home insurance)?

Samsung generally use inferior panels in their 37s

The JL 'email me when in stock' link is down/going nowhere which is curious. It's one of their online exclusives, so nothing instore. They've been stocking the 32" and 40" on and off, never seen the 37". They have the C580 one however.

I didn't know about the 28 days refund, something to certainly bear in mind.

From what I've seen of the C650 in 37" and 40" I'd say the AA01 panel in the 37" appears pretty decent. Saw a slight variance between two sets in two stores but nonetheless still fine. From my 'research' I have gleaned that AA panels may have certain advantages over SQ ones. But when it comes down to it I'd just want one without usual possible issues (banding, clouding, bleed) than any specific panel.

The 40" appears to be more glossy than matte. Might have been the lighting, not 100%.

The thing that impresses me most about the C650 whatever the size was the SD output via the tuner and media player. IMO it was by far the best I've seen across the LCD ranges and the lower end plasmas.

One last thing, it's CES 2011 at the end of the week. New models announced! Arggghhh! ;)

vickster

Distinguished Member
Have you considered the 37G20, gets very good feedback around these parts and can get for sub £600 with 5 year cover

IdontexistM8

Have you considered the 37G20, gets very good feedback around these parts and can get for sub £600 with 5 year cover

It may or may not have been the set directly above the X20 plasma I demoed in a store this week. If it was then it was ok, nothing special, certainly not as good with SD as the C650. I'd have to go back to find out.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
For 37" go Panasonic. Sony/Samsung use a third party panel in their 37" sets not the same as their other 32" plus LCD's.

IdontexistM8

For 37" go Panasonic. Sony/Samsung use a third party panel in their 37" sets not the same as their other 32" plus LCD's.

The AA01 panel I saw didn't seem overally inferior and like I mentioned in my previous post, I prefered the picture over the Panny (whichever model it might have been).

vickster

Distinguished Member
It may or may not have been the set directly above the X20 plasma I demoed in a store this week. If it was then it was ok, nothing special, certainly not as good with SD as the C650. I'd have to go back to find out.

2 above the X20, there is the S20 in between. The G20 has 100hz, HD FV and Freesat among other stuff :)

vickster

Distinguished Member
Errr right :confused:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution