It's a Wonderful Life 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

mtenga

Distinguished Member
For XMAS I’m currently in the process of upgrading where possible my favourite DVDs to Blu, and Blu to UHD. This is another one which I’ve just ordered, thanks.

terencejames

I'm always shocked at the amount of people who haven't seen this. A true Christmas classic that will break even the stoniest of hearts, unless you're dead inside.

blacksheep99

I’d not seen it until last year. Knowing it was a classic and considered a true Christmas must I waited until Christmas Eve to watch it. Have to agree, it’s a fantastic film and pulls at the heart strings. Would be good to see how this restoration looks

PaulDavidThomas

I must be dead inside as I’ve not, as yet seen it. But as I cry at animal movies, perhaps a little fluffyness lurks deep inside, hidden.

The_Wierd

I was wondering when a classic black and white movie would be released on UHD, and what the results would be. Only other BW 4K release I can think of is Schindler’s List, and obviously that’s a modern movie, so bound to look good. Sounds like this is going to be our Christmas Eve treat.

Evinger

Thanks for the Review Cas - We Definitely are getting this for Christmas!

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
I need to watch this, and i might just order this on the back of your review Cas, cheers

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Well if your going to be watching this for the first time you may as well see it looking it's absolute best!

Cheers for the review Cas.

UMAR 3:16

Excellent review cas I have to say, I’ve never seen

blue max

Distinguished Member
A wonderful yarn and one of my favourite movies of all time!

There's a scene where Uncle Billy walks out of shot and you hear a crashing sound. I think a studio hand knocked something over. It was ad libbed and kept in the scene. James Steward was a great actor.

Rockets

While we’re at it, how about a 4K release of the Alastair Sim classic A Christmas Carol.
I guess there are thousands of old movies which would deserve a 4K but I fear a problem is the state of the film reels, maybe the original film reels don't even exist in some cases.

Garrett

A wonderful yarn and one of my favourite movies of all time!

There's a scene where Uncle Billy walks out of shot and you hear a crashing sound. I think a studio hand knocked something over. It was ad libbed and kept in the scene. James Steward was a great actor.
I'll have to watch/listen for that.
I think the film is the film James Stewart was born to play.

Reminds me of The Vikings and Kirk Douglas falling off the oars run and my mum saying I bet he was not pleased at that, but I found out the director was going to cut it out of the film, and Kick insisted it be kept in.

I often thought when you watch these blooper reels that why don't they ad lib it into the film as these things do happen in real life.

Winnie1221

Thanks for review Cas, been waiting for this one, one of my all time favourites...

Another one on my list of must own!

Hampy1972

One of the greatest films ever made and not really well known in the current era due to age.
The IMDB ratings speak for themselves.
Willl buy this without missing a heart beat :)

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
Reminds me of The Vikings and Kirk Douglas falling off the oars run and my mum saying I bet he was not pleased at that, but I found out the director was going to cut it out of the film, and Kick insisted it be kept in.
What was the cut scene in The Vikings when Kirk Douglas sees Tony Curtis with the hawk and says 'you again' when this is the first time they've ever met? Gets me on every watch of the movie that such an obvious continuity error was left.

Last edited:

HariSeldon

Wow this is an unexpected Xmas surprise! I rewatch with my daughter every Xmas week and can’t wait to see what the restoration is like. Personally I liked the colorised version, if only for a change after years of watching the B&W.

I shall order now :clap:

barnaby jones

Distinguished Member
Every year I say to myself I need to see this, I love Christmas, my favourite time of year. I’ve still yet to check it out.

Last edited:

Garrett

Wow this is an unexpected Xmas surprise! I rewatch with my daughter every Xmas week and can’t wait to see what the restoration is like. Personally I liked the colorised version, if only for a change after years of watching the B&W.

I shall order now :clap:
I think every fan of the film should watch and give the colourised version one viewing and give it a chance without dismissing it out of hand. It's not perfect but not bad. Although if watching at Christmas I think B&W just takes you back in time better.
I dismissed 3D until I tried at home and now a fan, Mark Kermode was also of the same opinion till he watched Gravity.

Last edited:

mark6226

I need to watch this, and i might just order this on the back of your review Cas, cheers
Stick to the original blu Ray. The 4k blu Ray looks awful and it's much worse pq than the original.
Im selling my 4k version tomorrow in cex.
A totally wasted £20.
As for the reviews of the 4k blu-ray. Must be the same reviewers who said t2 blu Ray looks awful.

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
Stick to the original blu Ray. The 4k blu Ray looks awful and it's much worse pq than the original.
A totally wasted £20.
As for the reviews of the 4k blu-ray. Must be the same reviewers who said t2 blu Ray looks awful.
What tv you watching it on? Normally Cas is spot on with his reviews

mark6226

What tv you watching it on? Normally Cas is spot on with his reviews
Sony 65xf9000. One of the best 4k available at present. I wouldn't be selling the 4k blu Ray if it was any good. Wonderful life is one of my all time favourite movies.
Im talking about the black and white version of course. Nothing could persuade me to watch the fake colour version

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
Sony 65xf9000. One of the best 4k available at present. I wouldn't be selling the 4k blu Ray if it was any good. Wonderful life is one of my all time favourite movies.
Im talking about the black and white version of course. Nothing could persuade me to watch the fake colour version
Yeah the xf9005 is about the best mid range tv you can get, so wont be that, maybe you were expecting too much from such an old film? I havnt watched it yet so can't comment.

HariSeldon

Any TV can be badly setup, particularly for HDR.

Hopefully I’ll have a better result.

Itsthesmell

A totally wasted £20.
You've stopped me buying it, can anyone else give a quick review if they have a copy.

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
I think every fan of the film should watch and give the colourised version one viewing and give it a chance without dismissing it out of hand. It's not perfect but not bad. Although if watching at Christmas I think B&W just takes you back in time better.
I dismissed 3D until I tried at home and now a fan, Mark Kermode was also of the same opinion till he watched Gravity.
I just can't get on with colourised versions - same with Laurel & Hardy. There's certain things that are so ingrained in my memory I just can't deal with the change! Would be similar for The Third Man for me - just prefer they leave it alone. That said, some of the world war 2 in colour and the more recent They Shall Not Grow Old are pretty incredible.