It's A Sin (Channel 4/All 4)

krish

Distinguished Member
After A Very English Scandal and Years and Years for the BBC, Russell T Davies is returning to Channel 4 in 2021 with this 1980s coming of age period drama, based around the emerging HIV/AIDS crisis.

Channel 4 recently released this teaser trailer ...

I have just watched two separate 4(ish) minute clips from the drama (regular Channel 4 survey participant), and they were rather good :smashin:. From the manner of that survey, it looks like it'll be released on both traditional linear TV and as a full boxset streaming on All 4.

Original working title of The Boys, in this 5 year old article ...
Davies says the project has come to the fore partly as a reflection of where he is in life, following a period when his partner has been seriously ill. “It’s been building up in me. It’s partly turning 50, and looking back at your life, and partly having stared mortality in the face. And I am amazed that I haven’t written this before — I am amazed no one has. I think we are reaching a bit of a generational thing now where men like me in their 50s are looking back and realizing how shocking it was.”

Davies believes that in that period many gay men found it hard to come to terms with what was happening to their friends. “Personally speaking, I think we all ran away from it; I feel like I ran away from it,” he said.

Dramas set in the ’80s, like the recent BBC film “Pride,” which he says is brilliant and he loved, do not accurately portray the reaction of most gay men to the AIDS crisis. “It kind of looks in dramas like we were all waving placards in the streets and besieging [the prime minister’s residence] about AIDS, and barracking our MPs [Members of Parliament] and our doctors. That’s not how it was at all as I remember it,” he says.

He adds: “Most of us, as often in life, just stayed very quiet and couldn’t quite believe it was happening. It was the brave few who were out on the picket lines. This is still the case for any issue — most people aren’t on the picket lines. I mean that for myself. I didn’t go out on marches. I didn’t do anything. I actually couldn’t quite believe it was happening. That’s why I need to write this, and I haven’t come to the end of coming to terms with it. That’s what I’d like to do: to find out why I did what I did. I didn’t do anything wrong or bad, but literally I had friends who died and I didn’t go to their funerals, I didn’t write to their mothers. I didn’t do anything. I was young and stupid. I just carried on. I look back now and I’m ashamed of that. And I genuinely wonder why I did that. Maybe you just have to reach this age. The things you have to write just rise up in you. It is not planned, there’s no schedule.”

Although “The Boys” will be a work of fiction, it will draw heavily on Davies’ life and the lives of his friends. It will center on a young woman, based on a friend Davis has known since he was 14, who was friends with many of the young men and cared for them while they were dying. “She sat on the wards and held those boys’ hands,” he says. He describes her as a “hero.”

The drama will avoid the politics of the period and instead focus on the experience of young gay men at the time. “I want to go into the bedsits. It’s called ‘The Boys’ because it’s about the boys. The story of the politics has been told, the story of the marches has been told, the story of the virus has been told. The story of the boys has not been told. The boys are not here, and their deaths were very quiet. There’s a lot to say about that.”

“The Boys” is to be produced by Nicola Shindler’s Red Production Company for U.K. broadcaster Channel 4, which are the same partners that teamed on “Queer as Folk” and “Cucumber.”
From the teaser you'll see the lead is played by Olly Alexander, singer of the synth-pop trio Years & Years (yep same name as RTD's last TV series), with Lydia West (previously in RTD's Years and Years as the young family member having various cyber gizmos fitted to her) as the "young woman, based on a friend Davis has known since he was 14" from the above article. Impressive cast, including Neil Patrick Harris (will be on HBO Max in the US) - listed in RTD's Instagram post below.

brian s

Distinguished Member
I'll definitely be watching. Annoyingly there's still no sign of a blu release for A Very English Scandal. The BBC are putting out a lot of upscaled productions on Blu not not this gem which was shot in HD.

Bri

krish

Distinguished Member
As expected, full series streaming to binge at the same time as linear broadcast ...

Olly was on Norton Friday night, presumably plugging this

Last edited:

brian s

Distinguished Member
RTD and Olly Alexander were on today's The One Show ...
@brian s look out for something on RTD's sofa, unless you already caught it

I've no idea on that. I'll check on it. He was on Naga Munchetty's Radio Five Live show today. I'm assuming that will now be available on iPlayer. If so I'll probably put that on the recent RTD thread. He was very good in explaining his gay actors for gay roles stance. It's worth listening to. I only caught the very end of his One Show appearance.

Bri

krish

Distinguished Member

brian s

Distinguished Member
Yep, episode iPlayer link in post. Will give Naga a listen, haven't caught her morning 5 live show yet.

I've just put that on the RTD thread. Are you aware of the Dr Who thing that's going to be in this show?

Bri

brian s

Distinguished Member
Well how damn good was that? We've watched the first two episodes and they were superb. RTD has done it again.

Bri

featherhall

Distinguished Member
Finished this tonight. Both in tears. What a fabulously done program. So upsetting though. Great acting

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
Brilliant viewing. Nearly got caught with a lump in my throat by the Missus. Very well done indeed.

I remember that era very well, I remember the TV AIDS advert when it came up. Pretty Brutal stuff.

Miss Mandy

I watched the whole series today and thought it was superb. Great cast and acting, and really well done. Great soundtrack too.
Not ashamed to say I shed a few tears.

Last edited:

brian s

Distinguished Member
I watched the whole series today and thought it was superb. Great cast and acting, and really well done. Great soundtrack too.
Not ashamed to say I shed a few years.
I was very close to tears but I'd have rather shed a few years. Timey wimey stuff?

😆
Bri

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I originally didn't fancy watching this, didn’t fancy the subject matter TBH but my daughter urged me to.
Me and Mrs JC watched it over the last couple of nights, absolutely superb, very moving, great soundtrack, and is surely a shoe-in for some awards.
I was hoping to find some of the theme music by Murray Gold on Apple music but nothing there.

Last edited:

Miss Mandy

I was very close to tears but I'd have rather shed a few years. Timey wimey stuff?

😆
Bri

Haha, damn autocorrupt! I did mean tears, yes.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung QD-OLED TVs primed for 2022 launch?
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky to add NBCUniversal's Peacock service
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen announces Beoplay EQ TWS earphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th July 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky drops Sky One brand and introduces Showcase and Max