It's a question of volume!

Gavin_Hall

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I was cranking up my Denon 3801 this afternoon, thinking to myself that the volume was - 05db and it still not *that* loud. Toying with the idea of buying some two channel amps, when I upped the volume some more to discover the absolute limit (always thinking it would stop at -00db). I was somewhat suprised to discover it goes into positive territory!!

With a volume of +5 db boy does it get loud, still very clear, but very loud. I tested the volume dial and it stops at +18 db.

Can anybody explain why an amp would go through to +18db, instead of stopping at 00db. Is damage being done to speakers/amp at this level? I am driving B&W 603s2's by the way.

cheers

Gavin

I just dug my sound meter out at 00db the speakers are outputing about 91-92db, at +05db they up to 95-100db :D I think it's loud enough!

Hi

The 0db setting would equate to Reference Level (providing you´ve balanced your speakers to that point with a sound meter i.e 75db when the Volume level is set to 0db). You can wind it up more but its not really advisable, the amp is likely to active its protection circuit if driven at VERY high volume levels for too long. Especially when you move into the +db levels.

Out of interest, what were you listening to?? Music or Movies?

I was going through the old CD collection, one of the CDs to get a blast was John Williams Greatest Action Hits. The Superman and Star Wars theme tunes was amongst them!! :) They just have to be played loud.

Fortunately we are in a detached house and the wife and kids our out :D

Gavin

Chuck a dvd in, set the volume to 0db and then wait for the loud bits.:eek: Actually don´t do that!! Wind the volume up gently. Reference Level is VERY loud when there are explosions etc going on, too loud for me.

:D Yeah right, and I'll stand at the end of the lounge with some goal keeper gloves ready to catch the speaker cones, for when they pop :eek:

I'll stick with the music at this level....for the moment anyway.

cheers

Originally posted by Gavin_Hall
:D Yeah right, and I'll stand at the end of the lounge with some goal keeper gloves ready to catch the speaker cones, for when they pop :eek:

And put a potty on your head to stop blood splattering out of your ears onto the carpet. ;)

MuFu.

My brother came round the other day, so I put We Were Soldiers on for him and turned it up to -5db. I went straight to the scene where Mels camp becomes over run and calls in air support. This is now one of my favourite demo sequences. When those missiles started dropping I suddenly broke into a sweet as my trousers started flapping and I realised why so many servicemen are now deaf. Good fun though. :D

gavin
i heard your denon from Essex, thought the MOD were testing again, did you put the DVD explosion on after all :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom