1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's a question of size

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rex8, Sep 15, 2005.

1. rex8

rex8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having decided on purchasing a Panasonic TH42PE50 I went to my local electrical store for one last look before ordering. Stood there watching the screen very impressed with PQ when it suddenly dawned on me I was watching the th37pe50.
    Now I am wondering, do I really need a 42" screen. I returned home and found I sit exactly 11ft away from the screen. Is there some sort of hard and fast rule on viewing distance = screen size? I know the if you are sitting to close to a large screen the picture actually looks worse.
    Any advice on this dilemma would be much appreciated, before I drive my wife mental. After all the different makes of TV we have looked at know I am unsure of the size. :lease:

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Currently sitting 11 foot from a 42" PHD7 and wouldn't want it to be a 37". All panels/ TVs will look worse if you get too close but 11 ft from a 42" should be OK.

3. DIZZ

DIZZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I sit 9 foot away from my 42inch and its great!!!!! :)

4. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    42" is the way to go if the funds allow. Had a similar dilemea when deciding on a PV500 and now am glad I supersized!

5. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I am about 9' away from my 42" and it looks pretty good to my eyes. If you're watching digital tv with a notouriously low bitrate like on itv 2 then you can see artifacts but other than that it's fine. When we first put it in position it looked enormous but now after a few days it seems right and I'm sure after a year or two I'll be starting to dream of something bigger :D .

6. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I sit about 13' from my 50" and already wish it was bigger. ;) (Note: I had a 37" for the previous 7 years and it starts to seem small very quickly)

7. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    I've been reading this forum for a while now and I've yet to see anyone commenting that they bought a screen that was too large.True,who would be honest enough to admit they had wasted money,but there are many comments from people saying they wished they had gone for the larger screen.I thought 43" would be enormous,but I can see now that a 50" would have been even better.Go for the larger screen (within reason) and you'll not regret it.

8. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Sit 9ft from a 42" that is very soon gonna be a 50" which will still be too small.

9. rex8

rex8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help 42" it is then.
    (thanks god for forums)