1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iTrip

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Benjin, May 8, 2005.

1. Benjin

Benjin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i dont know if this is the right place, but is the iTrip any good?

2. rjstott

rjstott
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an iTrip which I not only use in car but to simply connect to my A/V Denon 3805. However, I reckon the success depends on finding a clear FM channel. Easy for me (in Oman), perhaps difficult in the UK.

3. barongreenback

barongreenback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Rubbish unless you use it in a fixed place i.e. your living room but you may as well just use a decent cable instead. I drive a huge amount and got fed up of having to change the FM frequency every 30 miles or so and even then the signal was poor. Added to that it's illegal to use one in the UK if that's where you're from.

4. Lester

Lester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    If you're after the best sound quality, then connect the iPod to your amp via the dock line-out or headphone socket.

The FM from the iTrip is inferior, but for me that's not the point. An iTrip is all about convenience and ease of use. It's a bit scratchy and hissy in quiet bits.....but hey, look - no wires !!!

You can avoid the retuning issue by downloading the 87.5 frequency from the Griffin website. I've travelled all over the country and never had to tune away from this because of interference (although I understand parts of Scotland may use this frequency).

Don't expect ultimate sound reproduction from an iTrip. But if you're after a simple and convenient way to access your music anywhere there's a radio, it can't be beaten in my opinion.

5. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I ended up ebaying mine after a few days!

Too much retuning needed on trips - needed a co-driver for safety's sake!

At end of the day the quality will be FM Radio by definition, which doesn't do justice to what an iPod or a decent compression job is capable of.

Hope it won't be too long before ICE manufacturers provide an easily accessible external input as standard. Meantime there are expensive solutions from people like Denon, Alpine. You see more and more car manufacturers maiking their installations ipod-compatible so future's bright!

If you're in an area where there are very few FM stations then you won't face retuning problem, but quality still falls short in my opinion.