1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

itrip??

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by phetttt, Jan 27, 2005.

1. phetttt

phetttt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

got an itrip for my nephew, but i have found out they are illegal- how illegal???

A slap on the wrist or a year in jail or £10,000 fine???

so do i keep it for myself for when i get my own ipod or do i face the wrath of my big brother lol??

2. ipodstudio

ipodstudio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't like to say for certain as I haven't lived in the UK for 20 years but I'm told it's a slap on the wrist kind of offence. Probably confiscate your iTrip and make you write: "I must not use iTrip on my ipod, anymore!!" 100 times... :D

We ran a news bulletin about it HERE a short while back but the related link seems to be a subscribers only page now & I can't remember exactly what the article said but I remember it was kind of tongue in cheek.. ;)

3. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Very illegal. On a par with running a pirate radio station as per London and Caroline, if you are over 50 like me, or the pirate stations that proliferate in the main connurbations.
    However I very much doubt that anyone would know that your nephew has one. They are small, look like an extra bit of the iPod and have such limited strength that no one would pick up the signal from outside of the car, if that is where it is used. I doubt if your average traffic cop would even recognise one and if ever stopped just put the whole unit in the glove compartment and feign ignorance!

4. phetttt

phetttt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply guys!

5. MagicBoy

MagicBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Use of the iTrip is technically illegal under the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1949. The FM band is licensed to specified operators so by using an iTrip you're broadcasting a pirate radio station! Technically you (and the supplier) can be prosecuted for it, but I'm not aware of anyone that has been.

I'm quite happily using mine - very handy in the car. Not quite how they'd prosecute CompUSA in the US for selling me one, but I'd like to see them try! :D The bloke in the store didn't believe me when I told him they were illegal in this country...