itrip frequencies

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any tips when using the griffin itrip to get the best sound quality, and can anyone recommend the best frquency, I am near preston, lancs.

Thanks

Mal

Really the only way to choose a frequency is to step through frequencies on your car radio, until you get a clear slot (ie, where all you hear is white noise - with no radio stations). Then tune the iPod/iTrip to that frequency.

Having said that, I've found with my FM transmitter (not an iTrip, mind you), that the best frequency overall seems to be 88 MHz - there doesn't appear to be any station on that frequency, wherever I've travelled in the country.

87.5 works for me in the Greater Manchester area and all across the North West. I only found this frequency a problem when driving back from London up the M1. Then there was a lot of interference.

My itrip frequency only goes down to to 88.1 - a visit to the griffin website me thinks...they have got some more frequencies to download.

I and all my friends use 87.5 (downloaded from "Other" frequencies on the Griffin site). We've never had any problems anywhere in England. Much easier than searching for clear frequencies coz it's always clear....err, mostly.

The reason this frequency generally works best is because radio stations broadcast between 88-108FM. There are a few RSL (small scale, low power) radio stations on 87.7 or 87.6 and some pirate stations, but mostly it's clean air (save for the occasional European station if the atmospherics are right). A previous poster pointed out that in Scotland 87.5 might not be trouble free...but I've never been and checked.

Whilst I have found 87.5 works well in the North West and on trips from Manchester to the South West, I suffered this year from a French classical station which broadcasts on 87.5 on my hols.

Unfortunately I had got so used to 87.5 working in the UK that I had no alternate frequencies stored on the iPod!!

Luckily I have got a Dension ice>link working now, but I might purchase the new iTrip as a back up.

I am using 87.5 at the moment, seems not too bad but can get a bit of interference near the port of Heysham. I have ordered a new LCD one, it is supposed to be better quality - has anyone compared one yet to an old one?

daft question, but once you've downloaded the other frequencies, how do you add them to the itrip stations? I tried using Import file, but it doesn't show up once I've selected 87.5 and clicked on 'open'.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom