iTouch works with hornet/Alo cable?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by JimBob1971, Sep 12, 2007.

1. JimBob1971

JimBob1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +744
    Anyone know?

I was going to get a 5.5gb iPod to go with my Hornet/Alo combo, but I'm now considering the iTouch or iPod "classic" as well. Anyone know if there is liable to be a sound quality difference between these and the 5.5gs? I vaguely recall that the 80gb iPods weren't as good a choice as the 30gb versions, but I can't recall why.

Cheers.

2. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Based on a very interesting thread over at head-fi my conclusion is that the new Ipod Classics should sound better than previous models. Obviously until I buy one - likely to be soon - this opinion is not based on personal usage. Apple are using an apple branded dac chip as identified by the 'rip open new ipod' brigade.

About the best sound to get dragged out of an Ipod is by having it modded and using a special lineout dock (Red Wine Audio Imod). In analysing the new ipod Red Wine have admitted that the gap between the imod and the standard ipod is closing and that the option to mod the new classic seems less likely.

Where before I would have considered an imod when my video needed replacing, the extra battery life and larger hd of the classic would win the deal for me.

The ipod classic is apparently dock compatible with previous models, though I don't know if the itouch is.

Personally, I'm expecting to replace my Ipod 30gb video with an 80gb classic and my backup 8gb Nano with the itouch. that way I get a backup and a sexy new gadget as well to play with.

3. JimBob1971

JimBob1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +744
    Interesting. I saw a review from CNET and they don't seem to think the sound has changed much. Hopefully it wasn't a full test as I've taken your advice (albeit with caveat) and ordered a black 80gb classic.

4. ABC1

ABC1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    see iLounges excellent review of the Touch here, unfortunately sound quality appears to be disappointing.

5. DennyL

DennyL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Anyone thinking of buying an iPod Classic might be interested to read this:-

http://homepage.mac.com/marc.heijligers/audio/ipod/comparison/measurements/measurements.html