Item not as described on eBay

Reaction score
Hi,

So I purchased a dashcam off eBay which was advertised as used with this description,

Comes with Mount and car charger

Used but In full working condition

140 degree wide angle view with full 1080p High Definition recording at 30fps

Ultra clear 2.7” LED display for ease of playback and menu selection

Super slimline design – Dimensions 87 x 58 x 19 mm (37mm inc lens) WHD

Now I received it this morning after visiting the post office to pick it up and upon opening have discovered the car charger cable has a load of blue tape round it. Further inspection seems 5o indicate at some point it has either frayed or snapped and they have rewired it and stuck it back together using said tape.

Now I'm not one for being picky but first off, why can't sellers state facts in the description as secondly, would you open up a dispute or contact the seller?

Thanks

"Used but in full working order."

Bit poor not to mention the repair but if it all works I think it is as described.

Contact the seller as if he/she is reponsible the whole issue will be sorted for you much quicker. Im a full-time seller myself but when I have these problems as a customer ill generally say something like "Received my order thanks however its nowhere near the condition described because of X and Y - I wanted to give you the chance to rectify things before I involve eBay so please get back to me asap"

All the rights fall with the buyer, I hadn't actually read your initial post clearly enough.

Personalyl I wouldn't use an electrical item that appears to have been patched together, assuming a lead i a few quid it might be more trouble than its worth to pursue a claim. Perhaps price up the lead on eBay, and include that in your message as a suggested refund amount.

Working is one thing, used items can expect to show signs of use but an amateur repair isn't really acceptable if it could make it dangerous.

I'd keep quiet - the listing made no mention of blue tape - sounds like you got that for free :)

Seriously though, I would have been seriously miffed, but would have let it rest because nothing in the listing is technically incorrect. But then I'm adept at electronics so would have done a proper repair myself.

So either

a) write it off
b) find the price of replacement charger and ask for that (or a proportion of it) as a refund

Cheers,

Nigel

I'd be pee'd off and wouldn't be expecting a tape-repaired charger. I'd say something but keep it reasonable.

I would contact the seller and tell them you're not happy with the charger, and they have the option to send you a replacement or give you a part refund for the cost of replacing it. Why should you make do with a botch job when they weren't honest about it in the first place?

Well like I said I'm not one for moaning about used items, I expect wear and tear I just wish more sellers would list defects so people are aware and even take pictures so we can decide.

There was no mention of 2 chips/scuffs as if the unit had been dropped but that's neither here or there to me but if I was selling the item, all things like that would of been listed.

I'll get a price for a new charger and try and come to some agreement.

Cheers

Say that the charger doesn't work - that it has clearly been broken and an attempt to repair it.

Include photos and escalate to a dispute if the seller doesn't want to address.

One thought - how much was the purchase - my response would differ if it £15 compared with £100.

Cheers,

Nigel

Agree with the above, from a sellers perspective I like to just get any issues resolved perfectly and as swiftly as possible. No decent seller wants to risk a claim or negative feedback over a few quid.

Present them with what you think is a fair solution, I actually say that to customers sometimes before making a suggestion myself - how would you like to see this resolved?

Say that the charger doesn't work - that it has clearly been broken and an attempt to repair it.

Include photos and escalate to a dispute if the seller doesn't want to address.

One thought - how much was the purchase - my response would differ if it £15 compared with £100.

Cheers,

Nigel
I've not tested it yet so it might not but I'd imagine they would of made sure it was working pre posting. It wasn't vast sums of money £44 was the full price for a nextbase 212.

Do you have a link to the original auction?
Item 262992358909

Having just looked again, it would appear the blue tape is visible in the second picture, I actually thought it was one of those velcro strap things you use to keep the wires tidy. Oh dear [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Agree with the above, from a sellers perspective I like to just get any issues resolved perfectly and as swiftly as possible. No decent seller wants to risk a claim or negative feedback over a few quid.

Present them with what you think is a fair solution, I actually say that to customers sometimes before making a suggestion myself - how would you like to see this resolved?
I'm happy to split costs on a new charger, I don't expect seller to pay full price considering the item is used, funny thing is I'm sure I offered £40 as a best offer, they returned with £44 and wouldn't budge.

Not sure you have much to complain about with the seller. If it works, then you can't really complain it wasn't as described.

Item 262992358909

Having just looked again, it would appear the blue tape is visible in the second picture, I actually thought it was one of those velcro strap things you use to keep the wires tidy. Oh dear [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Even looking at that picture it isn't clear how excessive the damage is or whether the repair is robust / safe enough. The description for 'used' says about cosmetic wear and tear but to me the sheaf around the cable isn't just cosmetic, and blue tape isn't a permanent solution. If he'd used proper cable repair sheaf (which is heated to shrink) I'd accept it. Could you propose the cost of that as a refund? About £5:

B&Q Heat Shrink Cable Sleeve Large (L)150mm, Pack | Departments | DIY at B&Q

I've not tested it yet so it might not but I'd imagine they would of made sure it was working pre posting. It wasn't vast sums of money £44 was the full price for a nextbase 212.

Depends on how they have repaired it. If they have just twisted the wires, easy for the repair to not work ;). If soldered then I guess they have done a fair job just a poor choice of insulation - I would have used heatshrink.

Cheers,

Nigel

There only £60 new? Saving £16 for a second hand one isn't worth the risk, plus you have a years warranty should anything go wrong,

Not sure you have much to complain about with the seller. If it works, then you can't really complain it wasn't as described.
If it was in a photo and he missed it, if it was me I'd cuss a bit and move on, so long as it all works.

Where was the break? With it being a dashcam my initial reaction is that the previous owners hardwired it into the car. I wouldn't be too surprised with it being a dashcam.

20170601_204647.jpg

As attached

The wires have been twisted as someone asked above and re new price and buying used, I genuinely wasn't looking for a dashcam. It was a spur of the moment thing when on eBay. I'll know for next time, ebay can be great at times but also hit and miss.

View attachment 869073

As attached

The wires have been twisted as someone asked above and re new price and buying used, I genuinely wasn't looking for a dashcam. It was a spur of the moment thing when on eBay. I'll know for next time, ebay can be great at times but also hit and miss.

Gosh that is a crap job.

I second what dejongj said - reckon he had cut the wire so that it could be hard installed in the car. Then when selling he did a quick botch job to 'repair' it - I use the term very loosely.

Cheers,

Nigel

That's a shocker.

I'd guess there was no intent to deceive, just very annoying for the buyer it wasn't made more obvious.

Far too much to pay for a second hand one though.

I'd guess there was no intent to deceive, just very annoying for the buyer it wasn't made more obvious.
Not convinced, I can't see the original listing (either been removed or I'm not searching correctly, but from what I have read the blue tape was barely noticeable in the photos. All I can say you would have to do some skilful posing of the listing's contents to hide that abortion.

Given how close the OP paid to new price I might be tempted to push for full return and refund.

Cheers,

Nigel

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom