ITC,did they get it right

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by lynx, Jul 4, 2002.

?
  1. YES

19 vote(s)
    79.2%
  2. NO

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  1. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    As you will know,the ITC awarded the DTTV licences to the BBC,C/C bid this morning.Having evaluated the details do you consider this to be the right decision?

2. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I think at this stage the matter of who runs it is more important than the channel line-up. After all, it would cost nothing to change the channels being shown at some future date. If the likes of $ky, UK Gold etc. could guarantee a level advertising income rather than that from subscriptions, then they may well see fit to 'bid' for channel space - hopefully at the expense of bandwidth putty like $ky news etc..

3. MickyBoy

MickyBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    i personally feel that the option to subscribe to some pay channels would've been a good idea. i can't have cable (telewest has run out of cash and won't connect my building up) or sky (leasehold property so no dishes allowed)

:( :(

i just can't see the harm in making skyone or a couple of other low subscription channels to provide a bit of choice. for the bbc to say that nobody wants to pay for channels is just plain wrong. why not give me the choice to decide that instead of just saying you can have this but you can't have that.

thats why i think the itv/c4 bid was a bit more flexible. that said...i trust the bbc a hell of a lot more to get it right long term than i do itv

i'm probably being naiive, but i'm just a peeved user.

and what the hell were they thinking with THREE news channels??

mick

4. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Its 4 news channels, there is CNN as well, and 5 if you count sky sports news.

I think probably to get interest in the platform the BBC was needed, basically to say look we're not going anywhere you can trust us.

However i think one of the multiplexes or at least some of the space should have been given to Channel4/ITV who could have then offered the pay lite option.
    Many of the comments I've seen about this on all boards including the BBC's comment service is "but I want some pay tv too!"

IMHO the terrestrial platform could have been used to provide the low cost alternative to the others. Sky and cable cost far more than many people want to pay for TV and as MickeyBoy said, some people haven't got access to them. Although the BBC's attitude to this did seem to be that they really don't care what we want, they'll do what they want!

5. MickyBoy

MickyBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    the bbc have a forum for comments re: their digital service?

do you have the url handy?

6. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I think BBC was the right choice as there was a risk of ITV Digital mark2.

ITV were VERY rightly denied another chance as they blew it with On/ITV Digital.

As to programming well I am still annoyed at Discovery Wings being shut down.

I would have like UK Horizons (if they're still around) but I think pay DTTV was doomed.

Well we're getting a few news channels, a few rubbish channels, but a film channel in OAR and a new music channel. Oh and pictures for Parliament!

The BBC are very well respected and I think could turn DTTV into a success.

As to ITV Digital going under at least the 6 most important channels stayed on, BBC 1, 2, Choice, News24, C4, ITV1

I use DTTV mainly for anamorphic pictures on wide screen TV - I hate the stretch 4x3 to fit - until the advent of DTTV I didn't want W/S for normal TV viewing (even though the FD1s looked so wonderful). Now I can tape and watch in W/S.

All we need now is BBC Knowlege back and BBC 4 gone!

I don't miss UK Repeats, Granada Repeats, Granada wet and cack, Granada w*nk (car progs missed a little), Sky pan & scan, annoyed at no Eurosport for Le Mans - C4 better for rallying.

7. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Funny how different sites view these things.I've just came across a similar poll on another site and it is currently showing 80% NO.
    Personally i would agree with this. Seriously considering a Samsung or Humax reciever now.

8. BoilingPoint

BoilingPoint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ditto to everything MartinImber just said. :)

9. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'd like BBC knowledge back, but not at the expense of BBC four. The only subscription channel I've ever had the slightest desire for is Film on Four although, to be honest, I'd rather patronise Blockbuster or just buy a DVD a month.

10. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Its not a forum as such its their Talking Point service. They only show a few of the comments and if this was the "range" of comments they picked I dread to think what was included on the ones not shown!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/talking_point/newsid_2091000/2091856.stm

If you click the communicate on the top of the page there are lots of forums, I seem to remember seeing one for digital but I doubt anyone who could do anything about anything would ever read them, you also have to sign up so I don't bother.

I thought BBC4 was BBC knowledge on for less time with a different name? :confused:

11. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I choose the third option, of 'don't care'.

12. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    To bring DTT to the masses - YES.
    To make the masses watch DDT - No.

Since hearing the BBC news, I've decided to subscribe to Sky. Why would I want to pay for News 24 when my DTT TV gets it anyway. i want Sky One and MTV, not CBeebies and QVC!!!