Italian WII in the US: how do I make it work?

dariodizanni

Standard Member
it seems like someone on this forum may be able to help me...I have received as a gift a WII bought in Italy, but I've moved to the US.

I'm trying to make my WII to work in US on a Panasonic HDTV (50S2).

It looks like there is no problem with electricity/voltage as the WII turns on and goes to the home screen (I would imagine there is a problem if you try to connect a 110v device to a 220v system, viceversa there may just be not enough jiuce but this does not look the case), but when it gets to the home menu, and even duting preload and legal disclaimer, the screen flickers and it's in black and white. It's very difficult to do anything from there, even trying to go to the setting menu to see if there's any setting there that may help (I had never used the WII in Italy so I basically don't know where to look at...)

Note: I'm connecting with Red/White/Yellow cable...my TV does not have scart :)

Maybe someone here can help!
Thanks in advance!

Dodgy_Geezer

What do you mean by the home screen, does it go to the main Wii channel page when you can create Mii's and load games?

Sounds like the old NTSC vs PAL problem, PAL Wii's run at 50Hz and NTSC runs at 60Hz which is why it's flickering and showing in black and white.

Here are a couple of things to try:

1. Check your Wii settings under Screen - TV Type and make sure that 60Hz is selected. Better still, get a component cable (any will do, these are not PAL or NTSC encoded) and select EDTV for the best picture (this is only selectable if you have the component cable plugged in).

2. Take a look at the back of the TV (or the specs in the instruction manual) to see if the set can support a 50Hz picture. I'm guessing not but you can buy TV's that will support both standards. Here in the UK, virtually all TV's can show both a 60Hz and 50Hz picture.

3. Last resort, buy a PAL to NTSC convertor but these are horribly expensive and you shouldn't need to with the correct cable, Wii setting and TV as per above.

Hope this helps :smashin:

dariodizanni

Standard Member
Thanks a lot for your reply.

To your points:

It is very difficult to get to any menu while screen is flickering, and even more difficult to select any of the options...The component Cable is something I'll do regardless. I understand that's the only way to get HD quality from WII, even from a WII I may buy here as replacement...if this one won't work.

The TV I have does not support 50hx nor it's multistandard, my old italian TV was... :(

I've found a PAL TO NTSC converter online for 119 dollars, but I'll buy it only if other devices I'm bringing from Italy won't work, otherwise it's definitely less expensive if I sell the WII on Ebay and buy a US one - which BTW will also save me the pain of importing games from EU...

Does it make sense? :(
D.

Dodgy_Geezer

Thanks a lot for your reply.

To your points:

It is very difficult to get to any menu while screen is flickering, and even more difficult to select any of the options...The component Cable is something I'll do regardless. I understand that's the only way to get HD quality from WII, even from a WII I may buy here as replacement...if this one won't work.

The TV I have does not support 50hx nor it's multistandard, my old italian TV was... :(

I've found a PAL TO NTSC converter online for 119 dollars, but I'll buy it only if other devices I'm bringing from Italy won't work, otherwise it's definitely less expensive if I sell the WII on Ebay and buy a US one - which BTW will also save me the pain of importing games from EU...

Does it make sense? :(
D.
Absolutely, if you intend to buy games, I'd sell the PAL Wii and buy an NTSC one even if you have other kit from Italy as PAL games are virtually non existant in the US (at least, I've never found any there!). As a bonus, you'll also be able to play some US only games like Excitebots which was never released over here in Europe.

For your other kit, why not buy a new, smaller TV that supports 50Hz? A decent 32" can be had for around £250 in the UK and the US is much cheaper. I understand the PAL to NTSC converters give a poorer picture so I would only do this as a very last resort.

dariodizanni

Standard Member
Hey, thanks to your help I solved at least 1 problem: I managed to get in the setup menu and select 60hz 480i. This has solved the flickering. At least I can do stuff in black and white :)

Now the remaining piece: the colurs: do you think a component cable would solve. Since I'd like to use it in HD mode anyway, what do you think if I buy the component cable anyway and I give it a try?

If that, does not work, we're back to the 2 solutions: selling the Wii and buying the ntsc to pal converter....

Thanks and merry Christmas!
D.

Dodgy_Geezer

Cool, the flickering has stopped as your Wii refresh rate now matches your TV at 60Hz. Definitely worth buying (or borrowing) a Wii component cable, this *should* allow you to play your Wii with the colours but check that your TV supports a 480p picture.

Also, I would stick with an official Wii component cable, the third party el cheapo ones tend not to work very well. And make sure you plug the 5 component cable plugs into the right sockets on the back of the TV and that the Wii is off when you do this!

Merry Xmas :hiya:

Miyazaki

You shouldn't need a PAL/NTSC converter if you can get an official component cable and play in 480p; that should be enough.

I would see if you can sell/give your PAL wii to anyone as a present back in Italy and buy an NTSC one in the USA if you can afford to do so as getting PAL games will be difficult and expensive.

Top Bottom