• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Italian Holiday

Egg White

Distinguished Member
hi, I'm looking to go to Italy for a week around May / June time and I'm after some ideas and inspiration.. :)

we're ideally looking to fly from Newcastle, and Naples seems like a logical place to fly to, as we fancy hopping on a train / transfer to somewhere like Sorrento / Amalfi...

but we're open to ideas on location / date (but will defo need to be before the summer holidays)...but we're after something fairly cheap (700 quid each?) which I guess will be B&B only? but we're after a nice scenic place to relax and explore some nice rustic streets etc..

what's out there? :)

gg13533

Prominent Member
Don’t know about the deal but Lake Garda and Venice are lovely - well in our opinion. There was a thread on here about Venice, so that might give some useful info. Been to Lake Garda a few times, stayed in Sirmione, which is lovely but can get crazy busy during the day. Lots of boats to take you to other towns on the lake.

Egg White

Distinguished Member
yep, we've done venice before so know what to expect there...and we've got friends who have often been to lake garda... the good thing with that groupon deal is if you don't like a particular hotel then you can upgrade (at a cost of course) when you book it...

Egg White

Distinguished Member
Sorrento is good if you are not a beach person. Pompeii and Vesuvius make for a good day trip.

yes, in this instance I very much doubt we'll be beaching it, but exploring the sights and sipping coffee etc :)

BT Bob

Distinguished Member
yes, in this instance I very much doubt we'll be beaching it, but exploring the sights and sipping coffee etc :)
Then I agree with @hyperfish. Not only is Sorrento a gorgeous place in itself, it makes a great base for Vesuvius, Naples, Amalfi, Ravello, Positano, Capri, Pompeii. If you only want to do one "remains" site, Herculaneum is, IMO, better than Pompeii. It's not as busy, there's more of it in its original state and it's not as big, so easier to get around.

Chocci

Prominent Member
We flew to Rome for 3 nights, then train to Florence for 2 nights then train to lake garda for 2 nights and flew back from verona. It was an amazing holiday

Self catering apartments came to £500
1st class superb Train travel £80
Spending money including eating out for lunch and dinner £500
Flights £140

Total for 2 adults was around £1250 so within your budget

Over by there

Prominent Member
Florence is superb. Can’t help with costs but great resteraunts. Watch out for the leather shops, many are knock offs but there is a leather school with a shop. Top quality.

Florentine steaks hit and miss but we found one that was absolutely superb.

History pouring out the streets in buckets and the ufuzi gallery (precook) but full of religious stuff. Worth a visit if that is your bag.

Edit. The dome on the catherdral is immense and a must as is the bell tower if you have the energy. Bus trips walking tours run to local places from the train station. Day trip to Pisa on the train easy and cheap.

Over by there

Prominent Member
I would add that be careful how you book tickets in Florence, always go through the official outlets. I understand there can be issues if not. We did in advance and it all worked. Just carry the printouts just in case.
Florence 2019: Best of Florence, Italy Tourism - TripAdvisor

The best florentine we found
I'Tuscani 2, Florence - Santa Maria Novella - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number & Photos - TripAdvisor

Apols if vegetarian is required.

Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour provided by Walkabout Florence Tours | Florence, Province of Florence - TripAdvisor
Did this, we were car less as we flew into Florence then train to Venice and out from there but it is quick, not a lot of time at the places but great tour leader with a lot of interesting knowledge and we enjoyed it.

D

Deleted member 275754

Catty, as I've said previously on various Amalfi threads, its a good idea in Sorrento to stay fairly close to the rail station , which is also where the buses go from and is close to the harbour too. All this for your various sightseeing excursions by train, bus, boat. Like maybe, between the station and the main area for eats/bars, would be a good thing, or right in the latter with the station just a reasonable walk on the level. I'd avoid those up-a-hill miles away kind of places, me.

Saldawop

Distinguished Member
My brother goes to Maiori every year ,he loves it. He stays in a hotel and pays just over £600pppw. I've been and enjoyed it but I don't really do beach holidays. It is a bit more Italian Its where (a lot of ) people from Naples go for their holidays. It's only about 3 miles to Amalfi. Ravello about 5 miles Sorrento is a bit further, but you get to travel along the stunning Amalfi coast road.
Sorrento and Amalfi are more expensive accommodation wise.

camW00dS

Standard Member
I've been only to milan in italy and god dam it's great.
Don't miss your line to get to the top of duomo, take enough money to go shopping, take bikes and visit canals!

Rome and venice are on my must visit list too

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom