It Works!! Multi Region Denon DVD-3800 firmware!

ian_guinan

Established Member
Reaction score
I just couldn't wait....so with a considerable amount of the sort of foolhardiness that goes with all great discoveries I've just tried the possible 3800 upgrade disk for non-US machines....AND IT WORKS!!!!!!

Links here;

Original thread discussing Denon A-1 upgrade disk with possible 3800 files;
http://pub106.ezboard.com/faussiedvdandhtforumfrm38.showMessage?topicID=48.topic

Link to firmware files
http://www.chappa-ai.demon.nl/DVD-A1+DVD-3800 Multiregion Firmware.zip

I burned all of the above files to a cdr and inserted it into my 3800. The display showed 'loading' for a while, then 'writing' and the disk was ejected. I powered down with the tray open, and then back on.

For good measure (even though it was not in the instructions) I initialised my machine by pressing PLAY and FORWARD and the OPEN/CLOSE.

Pressing STOP then PLAY showed the display as 'Region_A2' in stead of just 'Region_2'

First disk in was R1 'Windtalkers'..a bit of whirring and IT PLAYED!

So far I've given Insomnia (r1), and Stargate (r2) a quick spin and they play fine...couldn't resist taking a break from further testing to come and tell you the good news..

Next step is to give PAL progressive a whirl and see if this has fixed the chroma bug too...I'll report back then.

No freezing or locking so far, but I've only played a few second each of the various disks.

Firmware versions;
ESS 720
DRV 6100
ESS 625P
PANEL6093

More news later..

Regards,
Ian Guinan

**YOU TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN PERIL, ALTHOUGH I'VE NOT ENCOUNTERED ANY PROBLEMS SO FAR I'D RECOMMEND YOU WAIT TILL THIS HAS BEEN TESTED FURTHER***

Firmware versions;
ESS 720
DRV 6100
ESS 625P
PANEL6093
That's exactly the same firmware as multi-region 3800 I had last month. (just going by your firmware versions/digits.)
It also enables PAL progressive as well.

And it looks like it is exaclty the same version as my DVD-A1's firmware as well. (from Mr.Merricks) Only panel version's different.(DVD-A1 shows PANEL 6091).

magking,
Your 3800 seems to have 'chroma bug fix' firmware already.
Your 3800's current firmware shows ESS 6134-2, right ?

The new firmware from Australia still seems to have chroma bug.
The firmware versions Ian posted, is exactly the same as 3800 I used to have for awhile.

Don't install it unless you want to see chroma bug on your screen. :)

P.S. I might be wrong though. There's always a possibility that only the digits shown on display are the same. This version may indeed contain chroma fix.

Let us know, Ian. :D

I thought i should wait to Ian has tested it some more.
Test Toy story 1 chapter 4, Fifth element ZORG sign. I can not see the chroma bug on either, region 1.
What i really need is PAL-P, but not today anyway, only have 15-20% region 2 anyway.
My software is as you said:
ESS 720
DRV 6100
ESS 6134-2
Panel 6093-2

magking,

I envy you!!
You're probably only one who has 'chroma bug free' Denon 3800/A1 in Europe.
I don't give a damn about PAL progressive. :(

Multi-region + chroma bug free is all I want. :)

btw, Moulin Rouge is also good to test chroma bug. :cool:

magking,

have you tried 'Monsters Inc' ??
'THX MOO Trailer' in Monster Inc is one of the best test for chroma bug, IMHO. If you 3800 does not show any red streaks/lines on robot's red hat, and shoulder, yours is truly chroma bug free. :cool: Let us know. :)

In your situation I would not recommend you use this firmware just from your later version no.s. I'll let you know later once I've given Toy Story and 5th Element a spin.

Regards,
Ian Guinan

Just tested Monsters Inc THX trailer. Neither me or my cusin could see any red streaks.
Ian, i'll be waiting until you confirm if this new software has the bug or not.

I had a problem with sloping lines crossing the picture, but i found a solution to this. When i use my Key Digital component to vga converter the streaks dissapear. It seems to be a problem between my Panasonic PT AE100 and the Denon. Another Denon/ Panny owner in Sweden has the same problem with the 2800MKII. He has posted on the US forum.

I guess you'll stay in tonight Ian.;)

Long evening spent trying to find fault with this firmware.

It DOES have the chroma bug but to a very slight degree only. I haven't tried spinning AVIA but subjectively it is very mild and I could even live with this. If the next version improves still further then so be it.

Multi region works a treat, including RCE disks, and I've put about 20 disks through the machine of varying regions and it hasn't tripped up once.

Progressive is very good for both NTSC and PAL. I've been using my DVD-3800 with an AE-100 (soon to be sold to make way for something else) and I do see the occasional diagonal bands you mentioned..but only on very rare scenes, and mainly on NTSC disks. Odd?

On the whole the picture is good and a substantial improvement on the 2800 I had previously.

This will do me for the time being but I still want the latest version with chroma bug fix!

Regards,
Ian Guinan

Ian,

This sounds very similar to the firmware that I got on my 3800 when I bought it last week. All disks so far work (inlcuding Beauty and the Beast disc 2 which is tripping up a few US players), and PAL-P seems to work just fine.

I also think there is still a very slight chroma bug, where at first I thought there was none. I noticed no streaking in the the usual tests at all - the 'Zorg' sign in Fifth Element, the THX 'Moo' trailer, Toy Story chapter 4, all fine. Then I tried Beauty and the Beast and noticed definite streaking around the edges of Gaston's red shirt. This is very mild so it is not a big problem, but if, as my dealer suggests, the next firmware improves the PQ further then great.

My 3800 was shipped from Hayden to the dealer on 2nd October and I picked it up soon after. The firmware (after the dealer mod) is:

ESS 720N
DRV 6100
ESS 34625p
PANEL 6093-2

So not sure about the differences but it would appear the functionality of our machines is very similar. I posted in the other Denon thread that my dealer is expecting the new Denon update soon...

Wow! Yet another set of firmware!
I would guess you have one of the new ESS chipset 3800s which are not supposed to have any chroma bug out of the box...I am told that what you are seeing is 'chroma delay'..yes, I know ;) If it doesn't bother you don't go looking for it.

Ian Guinan

Ian, I read that you had the same firmware before PAL progressive firmware as me = ess 408, drv 6100, ess 6094 and panel 6093. Do you have this “old” firmware on cd-r? I ask this because if I try the new pal progressive one, I would like to be able to revert to the original if anything goes wrong.
So if you have it and can e-mail it to me I would be very thankful.

/Per S

Ian, you're a saint...

I was sorely tempted to do the update but was hesitant because two of the files matched the ones on the A1 firmware I posted...I didn't want to include them with the D38xxx files for fear of locking up my machine with A1 firmware.
As far as a chroma fix goes, my dealer is still in close contact with a Denon rep whom he sees once a week and is told that the fix will become available within the next 3 weeks. H Labs are aparrently working on it very carefully as they don't want any errors whatsoever (Which is alright I suppose :rolleyes: )
Needless to say, if I get it, it'll be on here.

Regards

David

Ian,

good to hear that you multi-regioned you 3800.
Since my 3800 is already multi-regioned, I won't bother with this firmware which still has chroma bug.

As far as a chroma fix goes, my dealer is still in close contact with a Denon rep whom he sees once a week and is told that the fix will become available within the next 3 weeks. H Labs are aparrently working on it very carefully as they don't want any errors whatsoever.
David(Mr Merrick),

As zcaps57 said before, that's BS. They do not have a clue about chroma bug fix firmware. I think they don't even have proper engineers at Hayden Lab.
One way or the other, they always have to rely on Japanese Engineers at DENON JAPAN. Those UK guys at Hayden Lab. have nothing to with the development of anti-chroma fix firmware.

The anti-chroma bug firmware has been available from Japan since July, and Hayden Lab is telling us that they're working on it ?? LOL!

It is available already. It's either Hayden Lab is very very lazy and clueless, or Denon Japan thinks most Europeans are colour-blind so that chroma bug fix is not important in Europe.

Besides, that's what they've been telling Tom(Edgeyboy) since when...July ? It's October already. :rolleyes: 3 weeks? LOL!
Entire Asia, and America already have their fix supported by their local Denon. Yes, that's right. Only UK/Europe hasn't got the support.

I say we give Roger, and Keith a call tomorrow(Monday). And be mad! :mad:

Ian

First I assume you placed all 5 files on the burnt cd! not ones marked 38xxxx

Second:it seems strange a firmware fix has not fixed the problems with US machines or is it that other regions haven't had their machines long enough to show up the freezing problem and the overheating! thanks for your effect much appreciated still got both hands on my near perfect 2800 but if this is successful the 3800 would be a goer
cheers Laurie

Carl,

your version number 'ESS 34625p' seems to be chroma bug free.
since your 3800 seems to be chroma bug free, why don't you ask your dealer for the firmware ? :)

It DOES have the chroma bug but to a very slight degree only. I haven't tried spinning AVIA but subjectively it is very mild and I could even live with this. If the next version improves still further then so be it.
Ian,
no you can't live with it. :D I can't believe you said that. :D
You should realise that the chroma upsampling error actually affects on whole image quality. Not just red or any other certain colours.
This make the image unfaithful no matter it's extremely mild one or bad one. If it's there, the whole image is unfaithful.

This is why I never say DENON 3800/A1 produces good picture quality even though I personally love its performance/picture except for the visible chroma bug. - It's simply unfaithful. - I can't trust it.
Until chroma bug disappears, it will NEVER produce good image period.

IMHO. :D

When chroma bug fix is available here, it'll improve 3800, and A1's pciture quality even further. Elimination of chroma bug improves the whole image.

So.. all of us 3800/A1 users (maybe except for magking, and CarlB) are not seeing peoper image. :)

Lots of Japanese (and U.S. people I think) users were mightly impressed how the picture was improved after the firmware fix. :)

Sorry..out at the AV show in Manchester today so no time to post (reports elsewhere)

Perka.
I don't have the original firmware for my 3800. Would have been much safer if I did, but sadly I don't. What I'd like is a copy of the newer firmware.

Mr. Merrick,
If you hadn't posted the original firmware I wouldn't have had the courage to try this so thanks to you also. I'm very pleased to finally be working through my backlog of R1 films, and this is making the wait for the new firmware a little easier.

I think the dvd9000.rom file may well be common to the A1 and the 3800 and the other files then control the configuration. Some guy on AVS has taken these 3800 files and combined them with the dvd9000.rom file from their chroma bug upgrade and made his US machine multi region (crazy, but he says it has worked).
*edit* Chan on AVS has stated he only used 38xxx files on CDR.

I've spoken to Keith from Hayden at the show today and got the usual line (our machines are r2 only, they don't do progressive PAL etc etc... he was surprised to hear that out of the box they are quite happy to do progressive PAL (for PhotoCDS though ;) )

If they are saying 3 weeks...we will see. Poor guy I think was trying to give me a hint whilst sticking to the party line, but I'm still not holding my breath. If you get anything let us all know.

MRJAZZ
Still angry! I got to speak to Keith and let him know in person how angry we all are. He tells me he is keeping a log of all our complaints and will pass them 'higher'. Every incentive for us to keep ringing him and hassling our dealers then! I do feel sorry for the guy as he has to give out the line of 'Denon only make R2 players for the UK, and as a manufacturer cannot condone multi-region, PAL progressive etc etc' without I fell much conviction..

Laurie
I burnt all five files to the disk just to be on the safe side. Probably no logic to it (see above for US experiments) but it worked. My April manufactured machine does run hot, but I have not had any lockups...only thing I've noticed was one prolonged layer change on one disk, but nothing I would be worried about.

zcaps57
I could get all philosophical about your quest for 'cinema verity' (before I worry about my DVD player I need a new projector and pair of eyes before I'm seeing the perfect image!) but just state that I am not lost to the cause for a chroma bug free 3800. Having multi region will keep me happy for a little while, but I won't be recommending this player to anyone until I feel it is reaching the quality of image it is capable of.

Regards,
Ian Guinan

The guy on AVS says he upgraded his 3800 with a CDR with only the two 38xxxx files. He is happily now running a multi region US chroma bug free machine.

Ian Guinan

Wow, Ian...
thanks for the input! So..you went to the show, huh ? :D
How was the show ? :)

Show was good..usual lots of badly setup projectors/plasma running Monsters Inc etc via s-video with subs full wack on too loud systems....but still intersting.

Reports are here.

Regards,
Ian Guinan

Ian, thanks for the update.
You met Keith. :)
what did Keith say about the firmware availability ?

I went to my dealer about an hour ago with the new software. We gave it a go and upgraded their demoplayer, 3800. ”Is it done already?” It was so fast i thought it was something wrong.
”Ok, lets give it a spin.” I had Toy story region 1 with me to test, and it played. The dealer was even happyer than me. Then i skipped forward to chapter 4 with the famus speach. I couldnt see the bug after the upgrade.
That does’nt mean the bug is not there. It means that the software i have at the moment probably also has the bug, but it is wery hard to see.
I think i have seen it on some bright objects in a picture with dark backround. The bright object makes bright ”spots, marks” or whatever the English word for this is, across the picture. Is that the bug? I think so.

To conclusion i have decided to upgrade my palyer. Only for PAL-P. To get rid of those diagonal lines i have to use my component to RGBhv VGA converter and the PC in on my Panny must have a progressive signal.
So today i actually have to change cables when i shall watch a PAL DVD, change scart out to video and change to Interlaced. That results in that i use the TV instead of the PJ to watch PAL.
Atleast the waiting for PAL-P is over, now we must wait for chroma bug fix instead.:(

The deal seems to be if your chroma bug is already fixed then the firmware does not alter this (reading what Chan in the US has said)...let us know what your firmware reads as after you've done the update.

Regards,
Ian Guinan

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom