Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

It Ultra HD Blu-ray Review & Comments

Discussion in '4K Ultra HD Blu-rays' started by Casimir Harlow, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,534
      • Thanks Thanks x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    2. Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +67
      Sounds almost certainly better than the digital cinema projection I saw, which was noticeably grey and low on shadow detail. Good to hear.

3. simonblue

simonblue
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,541
      Thanks for the review Cas,mine should be with me tomorrow :)

4. ozzzy189

ozzzy189

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +985
      I just wanted to know how you can claim the best black levels etc but are using an lcd TV for the review. Surely an oled would be a more accurate display?

5. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,201
      Thanks for the review Cas.

It's derepressing that 90% of UHD Blu Rays that are filmed at greater than 2K are getting 2k di copies. While WCG and HDR help to a greater extent than resolution alone, I fear it wont be until 8K that we regularly get to see what the films are natively shot on!

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    6. mainaman

mainaman

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +194
      The better LCD TVs,incl. non-FALDs,can do pretty convincing black levels and contrast.The problems are the haloing,clouding and light bleeding.These issues,even if all of them present themselves to a degree,can not prevent you from enjoying the superior blacks of the 4k UHD releases.In fact i wonder about the claims of OLEDs winning shootouts recently as their HDR performance is surely capped by their more limited brightness capabilities.

7. Buckster666

Buckster666

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +383
      8K won't make a difference dude, unless a film is given a 4K Digital Intermediate.
      Most films are 2K Digital Intermediate due to the FX, until studios start doing FX at least 3K or higher, we'll be stuck with sub-par releases

8. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,201
      I dont think the brightness on an OLED is big issue for me.

But all the cons about an LCD are LCD issues not PQ issues. The flaw in an LCD can be seen through and you can still make a good cal on PQ on them, especially when you are doing reviews all the time, and know exactly what you are looking for.

The same can be said for OLED. Just above black issues, motion and a "lack of brightness" can should also be considered a problem in that case.

9. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,201
      Thats what I'm saying!

8K WILL make a difference in that it could well be until than that we will continue to 2K DI's on 4K releases.

10. gunner84

gunner84

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +732
      Nice review Cas, I watched it last night and thought it was brilliant, my first DV disc I have watched as well.

11. Buckster666

Buckster666

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +383
      It won't though, because even on 8K, if a film"s FX are done at 2K, it will mostly have a 2K DI.

All modern films are usually shot at 3.4 to 6K, so are capable of looking spectacular on UHD, but because of the cost and time involved in order to do FX in 3K or 4K, they done in 2K and the live action elements are down sampled to match.

That's why studios need to invest more to FX side of industry so will get true 4K DI's

12. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,201
      Again that's my point (I'm not making myself very clear obviously).

I'm saying that the inevitable push for 8K will then mean we will get (hopefully) 4,6,8k FX and the subsequent DI in those resolutions.

If/when we get 8K media and we are still getting 2K DI films, then the AV world should riot.

13. Buckster666

Buckster666

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +383
      We don't need to wait for 8K in order to 4K DI. We can and have (on some releases) get 4K DI now, Hollywood just need to step their game up.
      Also I doubt 8K will ever becoming to the home in TV's or UHD. 8K will be for commercial use only.

14. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,201
      Hense my comment about only 10% of UHD Blu Rays having a 4K DI. It's a joke. We are already paying a premium for them.

Anyway, we are :offtopic:

I might get this at some point, no major rush but the people who hated it are not putting me off from wanting to see it.

15. Winnie1221

Winnie1221

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +178
      Nice review Cas, was hoping for a 9 or 10 for this UHD and was a little worried when I first noticed the 8/10, but luckily the PQ and AQ sound like they are a high standard, looks like the Extra's (or lack of them) is the reason for it not getting a higher score, which i'm not interested in anyway.

Can't wait to watch this in Dolby Vision.....!

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    16. raymondo77

raymondo77
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,458
      I'm really happy I went for the disc, it's a fantastic watch on my OLED. Thoroughly enjoyed the film too, and am looking forward to the sequel.

17. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +224
      I doubt we will start to see FX done at higher resolutions any time soon as the costs are prohibitive due to increased render and production times. If you have quadruple the amount of pixels to render then you will increase FX production time 4x on the same hardware, and with major films having thousands of FX shots to complete it's just not practical. I'd say the FX pipeline and possibility of increased resolution DIs is more closely tied to IT hardware scale than it is to target display resolution, and with hardware taking a performance hit globally due to Meltdown/Spectre we have just taken a step backwards, not forwards.

Now if directors choose to use more practical effects (like Dunkirk) then we stand a better chance of getting 4K DIs...

I thought 'It' looked superb too. Watched the 4K disc in Dolby Vision earlier this week, and will try the BD on a projector this weekend.

18. HeavenlyWarrior

HeavenlyWarrior

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +238
      I'm slightly embarrassed to say that at 37, this was my first horror film at the cinema. Along with Thor: Ragnarok, I'd have to say that it was also one of the most enjoyable experiences I've ever had at the pictures and horror and comedies seem to be quite a shared experience when seeing them on the big screen with others.

19. raduv1

raduv1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,694
      Echoed my thoughts on this on Cas , although I'd give the film a 9 as I enjoyed it much more than I thought it would. It is a cracking creepy Atmos mix to be sure and as for the LCD Vs OLED posts in the thread , the reviewer is reviewing the black level/shadow detail of the disc and not the display.

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    20. Earthscope

Earthscope

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +607
      Having been one of my favourite Stephen King Books. I absolutely loved this new version. The picture quality in DV was stunning. With some of the best black levels, (shadow detail) I have seen on my OLED. Soundtrack was no slouch either. Awesome use of surround channels and the sub base.
      Can't wait for part 2 and a 10/10 for me...:thumbsup:

21. rhino2k

rhino2k
      Suspended

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,122
      I have this ready to watch on my 4K Apple TV, looking forward onit even more now.

Thanks Cas!

22. raduv1

raduv1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,694
      Its a review of the disc , not the accuracy of hardware used . In fact ( maybe wrong ) Cas uses the same hardware for all disc reviews and is giving a review based purely on the disc performance on said rig .

This is how we can ( opinions may differ ) have an insight if the disc is a good, poor or meh performance wise on PQ and soundstage .

23. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +264
      Nice review Cas, did really enjoy this at the cinema.

I have the HMV steelbook but since you say this decimates the standard Blu-ray I may need to get this on UHD.

Can the Samsung UE55KS8000 can do Dolby Vision, or if Dolby Vision wasn't tested here I wonder how much difference it makes

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    24. The_Wierd

The_Wierd

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +505
      Just watched the standard Blu and thought it looked great.

I would say it’s a really good horror movie, but a poor version of “It”. I think that’s ok though, the book still exists for the full story. This version felt more like an updated Nightmare on Elm Street (actually referenced in this, so maybe not coincidental) in the way that Pennywise and the effects are used. The kids are great but the fast pace means they don’t all get enough screen time for us to get to know them. Good movie, better than I expected actually, given that I really like the book, and pretty scary which, in the end, is what I want from a horror movie!

25. Jim Di Griz

Jim Di Griz
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,832
      Funny because the blu-ray.com review said the 4K was no better! Needless to say I trust this site more!

26. MagnusNikon

MagnusNikon

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +56
      May i ask what TV and settings you are using?

The blacks in this movie with my setup is inky and so, but way to dark and much of detail is lost in the dark scenes.
      I can crack up the E6 Oled light and dynamic contrast in DV mode, and the darker scenes reveail more details, but doing so the ”day scenes” looks to bright.

I use a LG Oled E6 with Oppo and Dolby Vision. The ”day scenes” and Atmos sound is amazing. But the dark scenes on this disc is a big disappointment for me.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    27. Earthscope

Earthscope

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +607
      My equipment is in my sig (65G6 / Oppo 203)

As you know DV pretty much takes over all the settings once the disc is in play. But I have had my set calibrated by Jules who is a prominent pro calibrator on this site. And with the 2016 sets being extremely limited in what can be achieved via a calibration for Dolby Vision, unlike the 2017 and upcoming 2018 range. He did go into the service menu to adjust the white balance for DV which will be specific for each individual TV.
      Apart from that I have OLED light at 50 and contrast 100 (Dolby Cinema dark) everything else at default and all processing off.
      The blacks are quite impenetrable at times, but that's as intended on this disc. And I found shadow detail excellent in many scenes. I don't see any problem with the blacks being too dark.
      Also I would never use dynamic contrast on the 2016 OLED as it messes up so much of the picture. I think you need it on in the game mode picture setting. But I would not use it for film content in the Pro settings.
      And I know the 2017 OLEDS use Dynamic Contrast in the Low setting for HDR10 Blu's...
      If you haven't already maybe worth getting your E6 professional calibrated.Then you know everything is dialled in as it should be for your set and stops the feeling of thinking I need to be constantly tweaking my settings for each mode.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    28. simonlewis

simonlewis

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,441
      When i watched the film IT this afternoon, i had to select Dolby Atmos in the menus it didn't default to it which was a shame.

29. djpaulc247

djpaulc247
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,227
      Same here

30. Geoff_D

Geoff_D
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,749
      Didn't bother me in the least, I didn't watch it in surround :D

Had no issues with the black levels at all when viewed in mere HDR10 on my ZD9, they were raised when they needed to be like in the sewers (this was an intentional choice by the cinematographer) but other times were righteously deep and dark. I wish more movies would take this approach, it seems to be that we either get black levels that are constantly washed out to buggery or they're so dense and dark they gobble up all the shadow detail. It has a really nice balance between the two and is a rather lovely-looking UHD in general.

Nice review Cas, but what's with that "VFX rendered in 2K" bit? Don't tell me you're using that bloody realorfake site to get your information from? VFX is rendered at 2K as a matter of course for 99% of productions these days so it's not a smoking gun in and of itself, most 4K masters actually carry 2K upscaled VFX (yes, really) and it's very rare that you get a Dunkirk or a Tomorrowland that has proper 4K VFX.

3D clinging on to life doesn't help because the theatrical specs for that are fixed at 2K (not the projectors but the actual DCI spec as it stands today) and so the studios aim for that lowest denominator when finishing up their movies. Note that Dunkirk and Tomorrowland with their 4K VFX and 4K finishes didn't have a 3D option. It didn't either of course, but this movie was made on a very slim budget so I'm not surprised it wasn't finished in 4K.